Join Early Retirement Today

How to file 2 1095-A forms on one tax return
Old 02-06-2016, 08:53 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How to file 2 1095-A forms on one tax return

Two issues here, the first one was that we never got our 1095As for 2015. MFJ but got 2 separate policies and equally split the subsidy. After many calls to HealthCare.gov, I still don't have the forms but I did get all the info I need to fill out the 8962.

But when I put the two 1095A amounts into the tax software it does not transfer to the 8962 correctly. Our 1095A amounts are identical and I thought the software would just add these together. Instead the totals are correct except for the Annual SLCSP which is half what it should be, equal to just one of us. This error changes our nice refund to owing....a lot.

I've tried this in 2 tax software programs and got the same results. In the H&R Block software I got this message -

Because multiple 1095-A's from the same provider for the same months isn't supported in our online program, you'll need to upgrade to Best of Both. Continue your return online today, then work with a tax professional to complete this form and find any deductions you might have missed.

So I'm looking for an answer on how to correctly get the info from two 1095A forms to translate correctly to the 8962.

I know there is probably someone here who has dealt with this.

I've always used a nice free online tax program that has worked for what I needed. I am willing to pay for an upgraded tax program if that's what is necessary, I just need to know which one can handle this. I used to work for H&R Block (pre ACA) so I know that they can get expensive very fast, every time you add a form. I like doing taxes myself. Is this an issue that needs a better tax program?

Would it be ok to just total our two 1095A amounts and enter it as one 1095A? Would that get rejected by the IRS?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2016, 09:08 AM   #2

There are probably several approaches you could take. You could try other software e.g. TaxAct that allows you to run through it without paying until you file. Or alternately you could use the override feature in HR Block to make the appropriate inputs. Although I'm not sure if the online versions allow that. If you do an override, you might be best to file on paper and include an explanation of what you did.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:41 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Had an issue with similar/same problem but was able to work through it in TaxAct (downloaded Premium version). We had 4 1095A's because we had individual policies, and I had updated income estimate late in the year. It took me some trial and error to make it work. Under Federal Q&A data entry, Health insurance, 1095A - A question is asked "Health insurance - PTC - Multiple 1095-As If you changed plans during 2015, does this Form 1095-A only report different coverage months than your previously entered 1095-A(s)?", to which I answered "Yes" - but the caveat is I had to only answer affirmatively when entering specific 1095A's and then make sure they matched up to the correct corresponding 1095A. I was in fact surprised I got it to work - and I'm sure there are variations in how each software vendor approached this, and most likely variations between software versions too.

What would be important to the calculations being correct is that Form 8962 has the correct values. One should not have to override values to force Form 8962, but it might be a last resort--which of course requires being absolutely certain as to being correct about it--and quite possibly will disallow e-filing depending on the software configuration. Bottom line is if the software allows multiple 1095A's it is still tricky when combining them
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:10 AM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

We had 3 1095s last year and the downloaded TaxAct handled it just fine.
timmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:18 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What if you just input one 1095A but with the aggregate amounts from the two forms that you received?

Also, when you put in the 1095A does each form have a different recipient when you input it?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:32 AM   #6

Turbotax handled 2 1095A's just fine.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmar View Post
We had 3 1095s last year and the downloaded TaxAct handled it just fine.
Good to know. I'll look into that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
What if you just input one 1095A but with the aggregate amounts from the two forms that you received?

Also, when you put in the 1095A does each form have a different recipient when you input it?
Yes, our two 1095As have different recipients, one for DH and one for me, with 2 different Marketplace assigned policy numbers. All the other info is the same.

I was thinking that just combining the amounts and treating it as one 1095A solves the amount issue at my end. But, does the IRS match each one individually and my return will get rejected?
Old 02-06-2016, 11:06 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Turbotax handled 2 1095A's just fine.
In fact, TT handled six 1095a's just fine for us. We only really had 2 policies but because the marketplace hosed us, we ended up with what looks like 6. It all came out in the wash, apart from having to pay increased premiums for the month of May and SWMBO getting her cost sharing limits messed up.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:43 AM   #9

Grrrr, I just filled out all the info for TaxAct and it did the same thing as H&R Block and my original tax software.

The only way I can get it to come out right is if I say I'm allocating the subsidy among people in other tax families, which is not the case. Instead our subsidy is divided among 2 taxpayers filing MFJ.

I'll have to try TurboTax.

I'm thinking of just filing paper forms and waiting for the refund.

When you file using tax software, I know the 8962 is transmitted. Are the 1095As also transmitted?
Old 02-06-2016, 12:37 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

^^ No. SO, IMO, if you can get the correct numbers in the buckets on the 8962 it doesn't matter.