Join Early Retirement Today

How to find out my company's pension funding?
Old 08-30-2016, 10:28 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How to find out my company's pension funding?

I apologize if this is an easy question that I'm missing the answer to but is there a way to find out if my company's pension is funded?

Background. I'm 56 and retired from Dupont chemicals this year. the company froze pensions back in 2010 when they ceased offering them to new employees.
Company merged with another mega corp and that goes through end of this year.

Company had not made pensions payments in 2012 and 2013 and at that time they were about 67% funded but back in Feb they did make a huge payment that I believe was part of the merger.

http://www.pionline.com/article/2016...s-pension-plan

Now of course rumors going round that they are offering a buyout on pensions.
DuPont pension choice: 'The company has scared everybody' (Updates)

I wasn't going to turn on that particular faucet for another 5-8 years but what happens if they decide not to fund the pension anymore? Is that a possibility? what other issues should I be considering?

Again apologies, I did search through the site and look at other threads as I know this topic comes up a bit.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2016, 10:42 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you are already receiving a pension I don't think they can offer you a lump sum at this point unless they terminate the plan. If you want to look at the tax filing for the plan google "EFAST lookup" then fill in the data to find your plan's 5500. You should have also received an annual funding notice a few months ago.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:48 AM   #3

knotty problem.

You are vested, so ERISA prevents termination of your benefits. DuPont and Dow are both pretty sturdy companies, and I suspect that even if one of the three surviving entities fails, the Feds will have required all three to backstop the pension obligations. So PBGC is not likely--which even then would be a backstop.

Have you been offered the lumpsum or early payout yet? My gut would tell me not to grab either offer--unless the numbers are actuarially slanted in your favor, which is unlikely. Looks mainly like a balance sheet cleanup effort.

E.T.A.: The company's FAQ for retirees looks helpful: http://www.retiree.dupont.com/our-co...rees/faqs.html
Old 08-30-2016, 10:55 AM   #4

Supossedly we should get an offer within next two weeks.
My thought was to skip also. Interesting comments in tge article though

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 08-30-2016, 11:01 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

There is an article about the Dupont pension in the Philadelphia Inquirer...
DuPont pension choice: 'The company has scared everybody' (Updates)
user5027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
If you are already receiving a pension I don't think they can offer you a lump sum at this point unless they terminate the plan. If you want to look at the tax filing for the plan google "EFAST lookup" then fill in the data to find your plan's 5500. You should have also received an annual funding notice a few months ago.
Not receiving a pension yet. wasn't going to start it until 62
Old 08-30-2016, 12:31 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
If you are already receiving a pension I don't think they can offer you a lump sum at this point unless they terminate the plan. ........

I had already started my MegaMotors pension when I was offered a lump sum. I did not take it and the pension plan continues. GM rolled all their pensioners that refused the lump sum into annuities administered by the issuing insurance companies.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:28 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I would check those numbers from the article. They don't seem right from what I recall. I recently saw the Dupont funding status and believe there were 2 funding percentages. They were ~~77% and ~91%. the lower number uses only recent returns and is based on the old actuarial standard. The higher number is based on returns over a longer time period. Although not as conservative it is the current standard. If you do a search for Dupont on this board there are other discussions on this topic. I believe these pensions are save, although Dupont may adjust retiree health care to keep them safe. But I would certainly evaluate any lump sum offer that was made.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Dan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:35 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

One question is whether there is any reason to put off taking the pension. If the plan was frozen several years back, will you get any additional moneys by waiting? This may depend on how long you worked for DuPont.
marinauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:49 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I had already started my MegaMotors pension when I was offered a lump sum. I did not take it and the pension plan continues. GM rolled all their pensioners that refused the lump sum into annuities administered by the issuing insurance companies.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
they just changed that rule last year - notice how DuPont is only offering the lump sum to deferred vesteds
Old 08-30-2016, 02:14 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinauser View Post
One question is whether there is any reason to put off taking the pension. If the plan was frozen several years back, will you get any additional moneys by waiting? This may depend on how long you worked for DuPont.
Good point.

OP - Be watchful about delaying pension as some frozen pensions do not pay anymore than X amount, regardless of further delay, and they don't pay for missed months if you start it late.
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote