How to invest $100,000.00

rembrandt

Recycles dryer sheets
How would you advise to invest $100,000.00 with the highest return and the lowest risk of loss? This money is a significant portion of my nest egg. Thanks.

My advice: take $50 and buy a couple of investment books. Don't do anything with the remaining $99,950 until you educate yourself. Mike Piper writes some easy to understand books: Mike Piper - Bogleheads
Also, I like the Bogleheads who follow the principles of Jack Bogle, founder of Vanguard Mutual Fund Company. Category:Getting started - Bogleheads

How would you advise to invest $100,000.00 with the highest return and the lowest risk of loss? This money is a significant portion of my nest egg. Thanks.

Which do you want, highest return or lowest risk of loss? You're not going to get both.

Better safe than sorry, so it would be the lowest risk of loss.

Barclays bank online savings account @ 1% interest until you figure out what you want.

Better safe than sorry, so it would be the lowest risk of loss.

Don't forget loss of buying power - inflation. If your investment does not keep up with inflation, you did have a loss.

-ERD50

My advice: take [-]$50[/-] $100 and buy [-]a couple of[/-] several investment books. Don't do anything with the remaining $99,900 until you educate yourself.

+1. Maybe even buy a short-term CD to discourage you from doing anything too hasty while reading/learning.

Tyro

It would not be a mistake at all if you took a year to learn about mutual funds, ETF's and and risk tolerance. It's not hard (I did it and I'm no genius) but it does take some effort. Stay away from brokers and salesmen. No one cares more about your portfolio than you.

May I ask how old you are ? My answer to your question will change if you are say in your 20s or 70s for example.

Last edited:
I will be 50 this month. The money has been in a GNMA fund the last 6 months. Every month, the principal has gone down and the dividends almost make up for that. This month is the first month that I have my "original investment" back. I think I might take it out of the GNMA fund and put it into an online savings account until the investment climate becomes clearer. Any comments!

A full time WHAT!
J-O-B, where you work for an income. I say that based on these posts from last year:

I am very stressed out at work and I want to retire NOW. I am 49 years old. My investments will bring in about $1000 a month.

Half of the income is generated by a fixed immediate annuity, and the other half will be invested in a T. Rowe Price GNMA fund.

If what was generating half your retirement income is now generating next to nothing, you'll need a job to prevent depleting your nest egg. It appears you don't have nearly enough saved to invest ultra-conservatively, live off the income and make it last until SS kicks in.

A job is the answer. :)

Fidelity's GNMA fund is where my most conservative, non-cash, dollars reside. It varies very little. If you don't like that, and who knows what the future will bring to GNMA's, then you're looking at online savings accounts or CD's.

If you really need this to work for you, you might also look at an immediate annuity as a longer term solution. Easier on your nerves.

I was going to write something along the same lines. Maybe $50k in CDs and $50k in SPIAs?
Fidelity's GNMA fund is where my most conservative, non-cash, dollars reside. It varies very little. If you don't like that, and who knows what the future will bring to GNMA's, then you're looking at online savings accounts or CD's.

If you really need this to work for you, you might also look at an immediate annuity as a longer term solution. Easier on your nerves.

Last edited:
Where is "psssssst, Wellesley"?

Based on what some people discuss here -- and being a Vanguard newbie myself -- DH and I have dipped our toes into Wellesley and continue to consolidate our holdings and reassess our AA.

I have bought those books and done a lot of reading there and here, too, but I always find that when it comes to finances, it helps me a LOT to just buy some of what I'm thinking about and see how it behaves and how we feel about how it behaves. I also like to see the tax ramifications, especially now that I pay more attention to such things.

(When we w*rked, we just made it, saved it, spent it, and didn't do much planning with taxes.)

We still have a lot of holdings in CDs, but we're branching out a bit.

Such an approach might work for OP.

I was going to write something along the same lines. Maybe $50k in CDs and $50k in SPIAs?

Yes, I'd hate to put everything into monthly income.

If GNMA's seem scary, I don't think Wellesley is going to seem any better. But maybe a good place to dip a little toe into and try to outpace inflation.

i make no guarantees-but.

i have researched troweprice lifestyle funds. i have the 2020.

prices philosophy is the greatest danger to retirees is running out of money.

they keep their lifestyle funds in a higher percentage of stocks than other fund managers.

they also reduce the rate of stocks at a slower rate than other funds after
it reaches the date.

is it guaranteed-of course not-but it has an excellent track record.

you can buy government securities at treasurydirect. they are guaranteed.

how significant portion is 100,000. how old are you. are you still working. need more info

Back
Top Bottom