Join Early Retirement Today

How to keep your money safe?
Old 07-24-2009, 09:14 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

How to keep your money safe?

Hi all:

I want to hear from you how would one keep his/her money safe when living oversea. Particularly in countries like Vietnam, Thailand, etc.? Are there international banks that we can use to safely transfer money to and withdraw from when we're in those countries?

Thank in advance for your advises.
huusom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

[Moderator Edit]
Yes ATM cards work in all but a few countries like North Korea, Iran and maybe a few others. Get cash when you need it every few days, no more than what you need
and can afford to lose. Most countries have ATM's about every corner now days
even in the smallest villages and Thailand 3 or more per city block. This is of course the
ATM card you most likely already own with your local bank.
wcv56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Citibank is probably your best bet. Check with them before you go.

R
Old 07-26-2009, 07:29 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Make sure the PIN you have set for your ATM card is only four digits since I believe some machines/networks still have this limitation.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thailand has a number of inernational banks and Vietnam too. If you use HSBC, can used the HSBC ATM card from home country to withdraw money from Vietnam ATM machines. Best check with the international banks in home country to see whether they have branches in Thailand and Vietnam. I think you will find a number of international bank branches in Thailand.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote