Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Wow - I struck out on all 13 steps. No 10 - I do have a good pair of shoes but I don't wear them. No 7 - I really hope that men don't put a scent on their inner wrists.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting. Most of the behavior, speech, and grooming tips, sound like the way I was raised - and mine was a blue collar family. My parents called it "having class." To this day I speak carefully, carry myself straight and tall, do not wear noticeable make-up, and don't talk down or up to anybody. "You are as good as anyone else, but not better than other people," was the attitude I was raised to hold.

Never liked the "preppy" look on me, but I do like Brooks Bros. - those clothes fit great and wear like iron!

I don't play any of the required sports. Wouldn't the diligent pursuit of fitness count? Or must there be competition, specialized equipment, and clubhouses?

For the rest, I agree with many others that it's wise to be careful of accidentally becoming a target of the jealous - or worse.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:42 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

How they do it in Greenwich--

Old 04-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If I looked rich, people would quit paying for lunch.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #25

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
...not drawing attention to myself is what I hope to be.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI
"Somebody step on a duck? " still cracks me up to this day.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #27

I don't care about looking rich, I just want enough money to never have to work another day in my life. I like looking like I don't work, what ever that looks like.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I live in a modest house in a nice neighborhood, drive 10-year-old compact cars, and both know our way around dryer sheets. I absolutely envy, though, the guys I see wearing real Tommy Bahama aloha shirts -- dang those are good-lookin' shirts. Ihave to settle for the JC Penney or Kohl's versions.....
teekaymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:24 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekaymn View Post
DW and I live in a modest house in a nice neighborhood, drive 10-year-old compact cars, and both know our way around dryer sheets. I absolutely envy, though, the guys I see wearing real Tommy Bahama aloha shirts -- dang those are good-lookin' shirts. Ihave to settle for the JC Penney or Kohl's versions.....
Haunt the resale shops. That's where I get my nice aloha shirts. The higher the original price of clothing, the better deal it is upon resale. DW found a designer purse (maybe $200 orig.) for a couple of bucks. If you're into that sort of thing, resale is the way to go (much better than wholesale!) YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:32 AM   #30

From experience, the truly wealthy people I've met don't run around trying to look rich. I knew one man who drove a Vega, and he told me, when I got out of high school, there was a job opening at a major business where he worked, and I cold use him as reference.

I pllied and used his name, and the girl accepting applications asked if I knew in what department my reference worked, and I replied I didn't n
know. She came out a few minutes later and asked,

"Do you mean Mr T____ J______, the operating Vice President?"

I got the job.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:34 AM   #31

I've always used the phrase 'nickel millionaire' to refer to the people who want you to THINK they're wealthy.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:29 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I usually drink craft ales,but sometimes when I"m over the City I'll buy a 40oz. bottle off malt liquor for 3 bucks.Walk around brownbagging it or sit in a park.Feels liberating,and brings me back to years gone by.No,I don"t look rich.I usually like to keep a low profile.
okapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:17 AM   #33

I guess we're doing a fine job. No expensive clothes (what for?). We buy new clothes when the old ones have holes in them since neither one of us likes shopping and to us it's a chore, not entertainment. We buy online when possible to avoid the hassle of stores. As far as logos go, when they start paying me to wear their advertisements I'll consider it.

Our pickup truck and car are nine years old and will be replaced when reliability or parts availability become issues. But they're clean, well maintained and garage-kept.

The only expensive toy is the motorcycle and that's a Suzuki, not a Harley.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:51 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Great posts, All looking rich does is make you more Dependant on wo$%.

My car is 12 years old (no hubcaps) so I def. do not look rich
SJ1_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I don't care about looking rich, I just want enough money to never have to work another day in my life. I like looking like I don't work, what ever that looks like.
This is me, except that I already have enough money so I don't have to work (I have not worked in 3 1/2 years, being ERed).

I surely don't look rich. I may be an outlier in other ways (no cell phone, for example), but not in my appearance when it comes to money.

Others have posted about clothing. I knew I was getting old when I started liking getting new clothing for my birthday to replace some of the worn out stuff I have been wearing for too long LOL!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #36

Maybe it's just me...but when I see a man wearing all white, it makes me think they are rich assuming there's not some clue to the contrary. White pants (bright white), white shirt, white deck shoes. Must be a stereotype from some movie I saw.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #37

Surely the article is satire?
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Does genuine Schmidt bib overalls from Tractor Supply and a nice 20 year old pickup with a rusty tailgate and only one 'Yes I'm Grumpy' bumper sticker count as Patrician?

heh heh heh - I've discovered looking rich is dangerous - it brings charities, hard luck stories from friends and relatives out of the woodwork. And those incredibly brilliance financial 'opportunities?'
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I think the article's author is confusing "money" with "class".
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

The way to look rich is to date an attractive, well dressed woman way younger than you-unless of course you are yourself young, then you will not look rich as you will be wearing prison garb.

Ha