How to manually update cost/basis information at Vanguard?

soupcxan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have a roth IRA at Vanguard that holds one of their funds. Earlier this year I transferred in the same VG fund that I had been holding in a Roth IRA at another brokerage house. The problem is that all my other VG funds give me information on the website like:

Average Cost Per Share
Total Cost of Shares
Unrealized Gain/Loss

But this information is blank for my Roth IRA. I think this is because VG doesn't know what basis to use for the shares I transferred in from the other broker. Does anyone know if it's possible to send VG this information and have them update the website? I have all the statements from the old broker to allow me to calculate the basis of the shares...the trick is just convincing VG to manually put the numbers into their database. Has anyone had success with this?

Soup,

Sorry, probably being completely dense here... but why do you need to have the cost basis info in there?  If it's a Roth isn't it all gain tax free anyway?

jj said:
Soup,

Sorry, probably being completely dense here... but why do you need to have the cost basis info in there? If it's a Roth isn't it all gain tax free anyway?

Not if you need to take an early distribution.

If you do the basis comes out tax free

Oh, I should've said that I dont want the basis information in there because of tax reporting, I just want to know what my basis was for the purposes of tracking gain/loss quickly. So really just to have a rough idea of what I paid for all those shares.

Back
Top Bottom