Join Early Retirement Today

How to pay for Roth conversions
Old 09-24-2019, 12:39 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

In 2018, I was converting up to the 12% and paying 4th quarter estimated tax. But now going to 22% planning to do the conversion around December this year. The materials I've read said use after tax money. I am planning to have the tax withheld by VG from the IRA during conversion. I feel it's easier and I won't have to pay a lump 4th quarter estimated tax. Plus, my taxable money will remain intact and continue to provide qualified dividends that are taxed favorably. Am I missing something.
ER2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2019, 12:52 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

1) You have 2K in taxable ,10K in TIRA. You convert 10K to Roth and pay taxes with taxable . You now have 10K in Roth.

2) You have 2K in taxable 10K in TIRA. You withdraw 10K from TIRA, convert
8K and pay 2K in taxes from TIRA w/d. You now have 8K in Roth and 2K in taxable.

The difference between the 2 examples is that 1) has extra 2K in Roth where it will grow tax free. 2)has the 2K in taxable subject to taxes . If you were <59.5 y.o. when you converted, the 2K used for taxes will have a 10% EWP
(early withdrawal penalty).

There may be some liquidity issues w/ the Roth conversions until you meet age of owner and age of Roth accounts (or penalties).
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:56 PM   #3

What kaneohe said.

Paying the tax with money from the tIRA is a losing proposition.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:01 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't see that you're missing anything but I'm no expert.

I'll be making a substantial conversion this year. My plan is to calculate what total distribution will take me (safely) near my AGI target. I'll run that number through my tax prep software to get estimates of the federal and state taxes. Then I'll do a distribution to my checking account for the total tax bump (with subsequent online payments for estimated taxes to feds and state). I'll convert the remainder to my Roth. I feel this is more precise than having taxes withheld (and I'm older than 59.5).

Edit: It would not be readily possible for me to cover the taxes with after-tax money and the goal is to eventually convert all t-ira money.
Kwirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:08 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I wouldn't say it's a losing proposition to pay taxes from the tIRA but you are giving up the advantage to maximize what goes into the Roth. If you don't have the after-tax funds to pay the conversion tax, it's not an option, but it still may be worth converting. Hence, I object to calling it a "losing proposition".
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwirk View Post
I'll be making a substantial conversion this year. My plan is to calculate what total distribution will take me (safely) near my AGI target. I'll run that number through my tax prep software to get estimates of the federal and state taxes. Then I'll do a distribution to my checking account for the total tax bump (with subsequent online payments for estimated taxes to feds and state). I'll convert the remainder to my Roth. I feel this is more precise than having taxes withheld (and I'm older than 59.5).
Not familiar with the withholding system, but I think some allow you to select a % and some allow you to input a specific number to be withheld. The problem w/paying estimated taxes is that timing is a factor (when you pay). While withholding is considered paid evenly during the yr,estimated taxes are considered paid when paid so you may end up being penalized for late payments unless you complete F2210 Sch AI........that form is like doing your taxes 4x.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:42 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Wouldn't the IRS realize that the conversion happened in December and would not penalize. How would the individual know how much to pay during the previous quarters if the conversion has not taken place yet.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:46 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

1) You have 2K in taxable ,10K in TIRA. You convert 10K to Roth and pay taxes with taxable . You now have 10K in Roth.

2) You have 2K in taxable 10K in TIRA. You withdraw 10K from TIRA, convert
8K and pay 2K in taxes from TIRA w/d. You now have 8K in Roth and 2K in taxable.

Thanks this reply cleared my head. It's really that simple. My decision making was clouded by the imbalance that I have between the taxable and tax deferred. Too much money in tax deferred.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER2B View Post
Wouldn't the IRS realize that the conversion happened in December and would not penalize. How would the individual know how much to pay during the previous quarters if the conversion has not taken place yet.
Apologies for missing your DEC ref (2x !) in OP. Still, no, IRS does not know timing of "income" so assumes as default that it is paid evenly during year and then expects estimated tax to also be evenly paid. You get around that by filing F2210 Sch AI w/ all its associated "fun".

I would probably spend some time seeing what you could do w/ withholding
and see how close you could come to desired amount rather than paying est. tax.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:59 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
What kaneohe said.

Paying the tax with money from the tIRA is a losing proposition.

I’ll push back against this. I frequently see advice that could be interpreted this way. I agree it’s absolutely better to use taxable funds to pay taxes on the conversion if the funds are available but it’s still worthwhile to make the conversion even if you have to use tax deferred funds to pay taxes.

Unless my tax bracket drops to 0 (or maybe 12%)in retirement, chances are I will pay tax on the deferred funds at some point.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:00 PM   #11

OK, the OP's question is not about tax rates before and after retirement. Instead the question is whether it makes any monetary difference to pay conversion tax with tIRA money or with taxable acct money. Let's see what the math says...

The OP did not state how much he would convert, so for simiplicity let's call it $1000. Also for simplicity let's assume that $1000 is his entire tIRA value, and the $220 in tax is the value of his entire taxable acct. Plus, his taxable acct gains are taxed at 15%, a common rate.

$1000 @ 22% tax = $220 tax

Scenario #1: If he pays $220 tax from taxable acct he will have
$1000 - $0 = $1000 in Roth
$220 - $220 = $0 in taxable acct
Next, 20 years pass during which the account values quadruple. He will have
$1000 in Roth x 4 = $4000
$0 x 4 = $0 in taxable acct
So his total after-tax value is $4000 + $0 = $4000

Scenario #2: If instead he pays $220 tax from from tIRA, he will have
$1000 - $220 = $780 in Roth.
$220 - $0 = $220 in taxable acct
$780 in Roth x 4 = $3120
$220 x 4 = $880 in taxable acct, a taxable gain of $660
$880 - ($660 @ 15% tax) = $781
So his total after-tax value is $3120 + $781 = $3901

So, for every $1000 he converts and pays the tax from his tIRA, he loses $99. That's why I call Scenario #2 the losing proposition.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:02 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

If I make a lump sum estimated tax payment in December using my taxable account , I might not have to pay any penalty or file form 2210 due to the following quoted from the IRS:

"There are exceptions to the penalty and situations where the penalty wouldn’t apply, including: The total of your withholding and estimated quarterly tax payments was at least as much as your prior-year tax."
Old 09-24-2019, 04:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER2B View Post
If I make a lump sum estimated tax payment in December using my taxable account , I might not have to pay any penalty or file form 2210 due to the following quoted from the IRS:

"There are exceptions to the penalty and situations where the penalty wouldn’t apply, including: The total of your withholding and estimated quarterly tax payments was at least as much as your prior-year tax."
could you provide the link to your quotation.........the prior yr safe harbor requires that your payments either be withholding or estimated payments paid in equal quarterly payments if you don't file F2210 Sch AI.

p.1 of F2210 has a flowchart that determines whether you need to file that form. The critical thing there is how your safe harbor compares w/ amount withheld. Pretty sure if you fill out that flowchart, you'll find you need to file F2210.
(or let IRS do the calculation).
Old 09-24-2019, 04:49 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
OK, the OP's question is not about tax rates before and after retirement. Instead the question is whether it makes any monetary difference to pay conversion tax with tIRA money or with taxable acct money. Let's see what the math says...

The OP did not state how much he would convert, so for simiplicity let's call it $1000. Also for simplicity let's assume that $1000 is his entire tIRA value, and the $220 in tax is the value of his entire taxable acct. Plus, his taxable acct gains are taxed at 15%, a common rate.

$1000 @ 22% tax = $220 tax

Scenario #1: If he pays $220 tax from taxable acct he will have
$1000 - $0 = $1000 in Roth
$220 - $220 = $0 in taxable acct
$1000 in Roth x 4 = $4000
$0 x 4 = $0 in taxable acct
So his total after-tax value is $4000 + $0 = $4000

Scenario #2: If instead he pays $220 tax from from tIRA, he will have
$1000 - $220 = $780 in Roth.
$220 - $0 = $220 in taxable acct
$780 in Roth x 4 = $3120
$220 x 4 = $880 in taxable acct, a taxable gain of $660
$880 - ($660 @ 15% tax) = $781
So his total after-tax value is $3120 + $781 = $3901

So, for every $1000 he converts and pays the tax from his tIRA, he loses $99. That's why I call Scenario #2 the losing proposition.
Scenario 3, he doesn't convert at all. I believe the numbers will turn out the same as scenario #2. Thus, it is not a losing proposition to convert and pay taxes from the tIRA. It's not as good as scenario 1, but calling it a losing proposition implies (at least to some of us) that it's a bad idea to do it at all.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:24 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Depends on your (1) time horizon, (2) your risk tolerance, (3) your financial situation and (4) your objective.

For example: If you are in retirement or close to retirement and/or are in poor health, then your time horizon is short so you should be more conservative. If your risk tolerance is low which means you do not like volatility, then you should be more conservative. If you own a house that is NOT free and clear, and have other debts, then you depend on your portfolio for your entire retirement with no back up plan so you should be more conservative. Finally what is your objective? Is it maximum equity appreciation with accepting more risk or capital preservation to preserves your assets as your primary objective with equity appreciation a secondary objective.

I like to use 60% stock/40% bonds recommended by Vanguard or other mutual fund as a baseline starting point but then adjust my baseline according to my personal factors that I stated above. The Vanguard or Fidelity recommendation does not account for these other factors because each individual is unique.
2177V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:21 PM   #16

There is only one answer for his, pay with after tax money. If you later decide you spent too much in taxes and run short, take more money out of the IRA.

It is the same as using IRA money for taxes in the first place, and gives you another option.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:20 AM   #17

I would suggest there are different objectives in doing the conversions.

1) Obvious is to conserve the most $$. Using after tax $$ can save you taxes and maximize your account totals. See examples above.
2) Another is to minimize paying IRMAA for Medicare. This additional cost can go from $0 to $53, to $134, to $214 to $294 per month. It can also affect if you get help with ACA premiums and can affect how much of your SS is taxable.

3) One objective for me is to minimize taxes due on your kids inheritance.

4) One other is to allow flexibility from ROTH to take as much or as little as you want in any given year without impacting taxes. If you want to buy a boat, car, or house and need to use IRA money a ROTH will allow you to not be concerned with tax implications.

I'm sure others will have other objectives such as pay while you are in a lower tax rate but just to say it isn't always a clear choice. I would rather pay a known rate today and not have to worry about what rates will be in 5, 10 or 20 years.

YMMV
Old 09-25-2019, 06:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireBy90 View Post
I would suggest there are different objectives in doing the conversions.

1) Obvious is to conserve the most $$. Using after tax $$ can save you taxes and maximize your account totals. See examples above.
2) Another is to minimize paying IRMAA for Medicare. This additional cost can go from $0 to $53, to $134, to $214 to $294 per month. It can also affect if you get help with ACA premiums and can affect how much of your SS is taxable.

3) One objective for me is to minimize taxes due on your kids inheritance.

4) One other is to allow flexibility from ROTH to take as much or as little as you want in any given year without impacting taxes. If you want to buy a boat, car, or house and need to use IRA money a ROTH will allow you to not be concerned with tax implications.

I'm sure others will have other objectives such as pay while you are in a lower tax rate but just to say it isn't always a clear choice. I would rather pay a known rate today and not have to worry about what rates will be in 5, 10 or 20 years.

YMMV
1) isn't this a bit of self-delusion tho? The TIRA funds totals are "inflated" in that they are before-tax values and not really comparable to after-tax accounts directly.
2) seems a bit of a trade-off........do it now and affect ACA adversely; do it later and affect IRMAA
3) again a tradeoff..........do it now and minimize taxes your kids have to pay on inheritance...........but you are the one paying it now so it's not free..........
decision is not black and white but depends on who has the lowest tax rate
4) same as 3)
Old 09-25-2019, 07:20 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
1) isn't this a bit of self-delusion tho? The TIRA funds totals are "inflated" in that they are before-tax values and not really comparable to after-tax accounts directly.
2) seems a bit of a trade-off........do it now and affect ACA adversely; do it later and affect IRMAA
3) again a tradeoff..........do it now and minimize taxes your kids have to pay on inheritance...........but you are the one paying it now so it's not free..........
decision is not black and white but depends on who has the lowest tax rate
4) same as 3)

I think we mostly agree, just wanted to point out different reasons rather than just the size of the pile left.
Size does matter, just not only consideration.

1) Agree these accounts contain both your money and money that belongs to IRS. If I have after tax funds and use
them to pay the taxes, then gains from that money are tax free now as it went into the Roth. If I owe $100 in taxes
for conversion and use after tax to pay it then it doesn't earn 2% or $2 that is added to my taxable income.

2) For me, I'm paying IRMAA for wife but not for me. If I convert now, then I'll pay a higher IRMAA or ACA cost
for a few years but then may be able to save that for the rest of my life. Say 5 years aggressive conversions and then
20-25 years of less or no IRMAA. Each situation is unique of course.

3) For me, I'm leaving some on the table and want it to be tax free. Just a consideration that is not just about $$

4) I'm not sure. From a purely dollar perspective, if I take out $350K to buy a place in Main for summers that would jack the tax hit into 32% bracket (ok, only for some of it). Lots more than 22% or 24% bracket on conversions for me.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:53 AM   #20

Sorry to be thick.... If I make a sizable tIRA to Roth conversion this month, have not made estimated quarterly payments in Q1-3, my withholdings from payroll are less than the 2018 (due to a partial year of w*rk) - am I screwed by the safe harbor provision even if I make a Q4 payment ahead of the Roth conversion and generously cover the tax to be paid?