How to Spend your Money for Maximum Happiness...

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am sharing this as food for thought for anyone interested, there is no be-all and end-all answer to the question FWIW - and the article doesn't pretend to have such an answer. DW and I are reading about such things, remains to be seen if we change our spending habits much if at all (yes, first world problem). I often think about having nicer cars, but I'm never really tempted to follow through.

And to be honest it mostly reinforces much of what I've read on this forum over many years, not a big surprise.

https://www.popsci.com/story/science/how-to-spend-money-happiness/

Years of behavioral and psychological research have given us insight into how to splurge optimally.

So does money bring us happiness, or is it the root of our misery? It’s complicated. Financial security certainly influences our well-being when it comes to satisfying our basic needs and standard of living, but in general, research shows affluence is a weak predictor of happiness. Today, the average American family spends about 50 percent of their income on necessities like food and shelter, compared to almost 80 percent in 1901.

What most experts can agree on is this: there are ways to spend our money that are more likely to elicit joy. So next time a commercial has you itching to pull out your wallet, hit pause and consider these three tips on where to invest your cash.
Time is precious—buy yourself some more of it
Invest in experiences
Spend on others

Focus on human connection

So is shifting our spending habits away from material things the key to bliss? Despite a sea of research, there’s still no tidy answer. Happiness is notoriously difficult to study; it’s subjective, unstable, and intangible. But one common thread consistently comes up in the research: the power of human connection to elicit joy.

“Purchases that help to foster our social relationships—those are the purchases that are most likely to bring us longer-lasting, more enduring happiness,” Kumar says.

But that doesn’t necessarily mean spending all your money on family vacations: sometimes material purchases are vehicles for social connection. The idea is to invest more in experiences than in possessions, Gilovich explains, but sometimes the latter can facilitate the former. “There are things sort of in the middle,” he says. “You buy a new bike, you get together with a bunch of cyclists, and you cycle regularly.” His advice: when you’re buying something, ask yourself how likely you are to use it with other people.

Kumar agrees. “One of the mistakes that people can make is that they think that material goods are a better financial investment, that they’ll last,” he says. But the material goods that pack the biggest punch are the ones that beget social experiences.

For him, the recipe for better spending is simple: “Positive social relationships are essential to human happiness—spend money in ways that advance your social relationships [and try to] minimize making comparisons to other people.”

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 269
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 234
  • Picture3.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 939
Last edited:
Midpack, thanks for this article, I liked it and agree with it. For me and my DH--we have some charities we are involved with that mean a great deal to us. We get great satisfaction from spending our money to support those charities.

Interesting, although, with certain exceptions (a visit to family, a gift for DGDs), my spending does not intentionally revolve around maximizing my happiness.

For example a charitable donation does not necessarily "elicit joy." Rather, sometimes it makes me a bit sad because I am thinking about someone else who is suffering, (who needs it more than I do); other times perhaps a feeling of doing what needs to be done (i.e., if I don't do this who will?).

Seeing other people happy, or hearing about something good that has happened to someone else tends to "elicit joy."

Nice topic midpack. Thanks for bringing it up.

I think people of faith would agree with the big conclusions listed in the article. Human relationships and social connections matter. It’s almost like God made us that way. [emoji846] The Bible certainly speaks to this.

As for me personally, while I certainly can be materialistic, I’ve always preferred spending money on family based experiences (vacations). For me, those stick out as life and relationship highlights.

I look forward to other’s responses.

Muir

now I know haw you got your name--"Mr Tightwad"! What does make you happy?

My daughters, my low BP #'s, my BMI, collecting rent, my stocks going up, buying more when they don't, occasionally my 3 mile runs, finding money on the ground ( a dime yesterday), winning sports bets, eating healthy, a smidge of ice cream/chocolate covered walnuts, naps, not paying alimony, my vehicles, thriller/suspense on Netflix for free, YouTube, cool weather, Darn Tough socks, and last but most definitely not the least my 2 dogs.

My daughters, my low BP #'s, my BMI, collecting rent, my stocks going up, buying more when they don't, occasionally my 3 mile runs, finding money on the ground ( a dime yesterday), winning sports bets, eating healthy, a smidge of ice cream/chocolate covered walnuts, naps, not paying alimony, my vehicles, thriller/suspense on Netflix for free, YouTube, cool weather, Darn Tough socks, and last but most definitely not the least my 2 dogs.

Well, I don’t know about your blood pressure, but Darn Tough socks are definitely worth getting happy over!

Hah. All good stuff. Love my Darn Tough socks. 2 winters ago DW and I made a pilgrimage to their annual outlet sale at the factory in VT. Sounds silly but we bought something like 42 pairs of socks for a total of about $280. Which as anyone knows their quality and prices was a huge deal. Something like 75% off retail. I think I have enough to last 10-15 years before i need to go back. I wear them about 7-8 months a year and just use cotton white athletic socks all summer.
Oh and +1 on the dogs as well.

Hah. All good stuff. Love my Darn Tough socks. 2 winters ago DW and I made a pilgrimage to their annual outlet sale at the factory in VT. Sounds silly but we bought something like 42 pairs of socks for a total of about $280. Which as anyone knows their quality and prices was a huge deal. Something like 75% off retail. I think I have enough to last 10-15 years before i need to go back. I wear them about 7-8 months a year and just use cotton white athletic socks all summer.
Oh and +1 on the dogs as well.

They have a lifetime warranty. Just bring them in and they replace. No questions asked.

Travel made us happy, while we were able to do it.

I'm torn about "buying more time." I would like to hire a housecleaning service, but after my few experiences with them, I envision going through one after another and not really liking the way they do things (much as I feel about yard services. Everything is so one-size-fits-all, slam-bam-pay-me-ma'am).

Travel made us happy, while we were able to do it.

I'm torn about "buying more time." I would like to hire a housecleaning service, but after my few experiences with them, I envision going through one after another and not really liking the way they do things (much as I feel about yard services. Everything is so one-size-fits-all, slam-bam-pay-me-ma'am).

I wondered what, "buy more time" meant. If this is it, I'm all for that. But, I must admit that I sometimes do it slowly (and grudgingly?) even though I can afford it. It's that LBYM streak I'm sure.

Material things are fleeting while experiences can last a lifetime.

They have a lifetime warranty. Just bring them in and they replace. No questions asked.

That's only on the ones you by at retail or 1st quality. The outlet sales are seconds(though I have found nothing wrong with them) and don't get the warranty but I'm ok with that.
Plus DW and I had a nice excuse to travel up thru VT and then eat lunch at a great Italian place in Montpelier just up the road a bit.:)

I think the 3rd pic by OP might be me. I've given my stimulus to Kids & grandkids, PJ Library, and the food bank. Gives me pleasure as I don't need it / am fortunate enough to have not been negatively affected by the financial downturn (profited)

Last edited:
There was also that recent study that determined after a certain income level happiness didn't increase much. I think it had mostly to do with being able to meet all you financial obligations with out worry. I believe the number a few years ago was around $75,000 /year.
Doesn't mean that having more was a negative and certainly having more earlier so that one could possibly ER would in essence be the "buying time" portion.
I think the gist of it is too not get too obsessed with being "rich" at the cost of other items and relationships in your life.

"Invest in experiences"

Sounds like a travel industry commercial to me.
As the article notes, travel isn’t the only experience.

"Invest in experiences"

Sounds like a travel industry commercial to me.

As the article notes, travel isn’t the only experience.

One example:

One of my relatives (that I otherwise get along with great and like a lot) mentioned that, because we spend very little on travel, mostly because we dislike travel, and I have spent and continue to spend a good bit on hobbies, R/C airplanes in particular. He has a very hard time understanding the attraction because to him it is not an experience. It is just buying "things".

I tried to explain to him that there is a unique experience in launching an airplane which you have spent a year building and $2,000 in discretionary income off into "the wild blue yonder" and really, really hoping you don't bring it home in a bag. And being ecstatic when you "grease" the landing.:dance:

I got nearly the same joy out of being able to help someone else get started on their own path to doing the same things. The hardest part of learning to fly an R/C airplane is the landing pattern and of course the landing. Once a newcomer gets that down to the point where he/she can do that consistently and safely (this is when the other club members crawl out from under their cars) they have completed a major milestone and that is an experience too.

Those of us who have also flown full-size airplanes know that landing an R/C airplane is every bit as difficult and in some respects harder because in a full size airplane "right" and "left' stay in the same place. And there is no "seat of the pants" flying in R/C. Think about those two for a moment.

In the course of building and flying R/C airplanes I developed a lot of friendships in a club. I got [-]elected[/-] drafted onto the board of directors and learned a lot about the innards of running an all volunteer nonprofit organization. Being a slow learner, after that I agreed to being president of the 250-member club for a year. Among other things I learned a lot about what the expression "herding cats" really means and where it came from.:LOL:

And all those experiences would not have happened if I didn't spend some money on inanimate objects that fly.

What the heck is up with Tunisia?

attachment.php

This graphic has me puzzled too. It's from 2012. It's possible that the U.S. has shifted toward the purple side of the spectrum since then. Also, in other advanced economies people give more to others through higher taxes that fund stronger safety nets. Is that accounted for?

This graphic has me puzzled too. It's from 2012. It's possible that the U.S. has shifted toward the purple side of the spectrum since then. Also, in other advanced economies people give more to others through higher taxes that fund stronger safety nets. Is that accounted for?

Nope. Giving is voluntary. Government-sponsored wealth confiscation is involuntary and does not constitute "giving."

As you undoubtedly know, there are hobby people, and then there's everybody else. Even a fellow hobby person who doesn't participate in your particular hobby, is likely to understand the drive to seek out and spend money on your hobby's unique "stuff."

And when we do meet someone who shares the same hobby interest - well! it's Katie bar the door! :LOL:

One example:

OI have spent and continue to spend a good bit on hobbies, R/C airplanes in particular. He has a very hard time understanding the attraction because to him it is not an experience. It is just buying "things".

Back
Top Bottom