Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

How will same-sex marriage affect SS/Pensions?
Old 07-01-2013, 08:08 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
How will same-sex marriage affect SS/Pensions?

Does anyone know how this SCOTUS ruling will affect the future ability of SS/government pensions to pay additional benefits that they had not previously had to consider? I assume that there will be a negative impact on these funds.

Quote:
  • Social Security: Same-sex couples who are married in a state where marriage is legal are now entitled to spousal and survivor benefits which can amount to thousands of dollars in additional income over a lifetime. Regarding spousal benefits specifically, there are a number of planning strategies that are now on the table and will allow couples to maximize their collective benefits. The ‘file and suspend’ strategy is one of many. To name just a few of the other benefits, for couples who have minor dependent children, the child may also be eligible for benefits at the time one spouse claims benefits. In addition, same-sex couples who end up divorcing would be eligible for benefits based on their ex’s record as long as their marriage lasted at least 10 years, they are not currently married, they are 62 or more, and their ex is entitled to retirement or disability benefits.
  • Entitlement to government and military pension and health care benefits: Same-sex couples who are entitled to a pension through their military service or government employment will have the peace of mind that this income stream will continue to their spouse when they pass away. Prior to this change, married same-sex couples often spent a great deal of money on life insurance policies in order to provide a lump sum to their spouse because they knew their spouse would be denied spousal income benefits. Going forward, many gay couples will be able to significantly reduce or eliminate this coverage for this purpose. In addition, the spouse would have access to health care benefits, worth thousands of dollars of savings.
How Gay Marriage Ruling Gave $36,000 in Benefits to a Client | Financial Planning

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2013, 08:27 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Does anyone know how this SCOTUS ruling will affect the future ability of SS/government pensions to pay additional benefits that they had not previously had to consider? I assume that there will be a negative impact on these funds.

How Gay Marriage Ruling Gave $36,000 in Benefits to a Client | Financial Planning
If you're looking for the dollar impact on the SS Trust Fund, I think we'll get a good estimate next year when the SS Trustees Report comes out. The actuaries will include the benefits you listed in their total cost. They also include a discussion which covers the major changes from one year's report to the next. I'd look for "repeal of DOMA" as one of the those items.

My guess is "not a lot". There won't be that many SS marriages. I'll make an uninformed guess that for most SS couples, the lower earning spouse makes enough that the 50% spousal retirement benefit is irrelevant. The biggest dollar amount may be survivor benefits paid in old age, where the lower income spouse gets to step up to the higher income spouse's benefit.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
If you're looking for the dollar impact on the SS Trust Fund, I think we'll get a good estimate next year when the SS Trustees Report comes out. The actuaries will include the benefits you listed in their total cost. They also include a discussion which covers the major changes from one year's report to the next. I'd look for "repeal of DOMA" as one of the those items.

My guess is "not a lot". There won't be that many SS marriages. I'll make an uninformed guess that for most SS couples, the lower earning spouse makes enough that the 50% spousal retirement benefit is irrelevant. The biggest dollar amount may be survivor benefits paid in old age, where the lower income spouse gets to step up to the higher income spouse's benefit.
My guess as well. Unless the trustees publish something before then, any numbers we see are likely to be pure speculation.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
gone traveling

And how will it affect tax receipts?
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I doubt it will have any affect at all. Although the media industry makes it seem like 30% of the population is gay, in reality they are only around 3% of the population. There are too few of them for it to make any difference.
ESRwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRwannabe View Post
...in reality they are only around 3% of the population.
Your source?

I ask because I don't think anyone can realistically determine this number...
Old 07-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Your source?

I ask because I don't think anyone can realistically determine this number...

I heard/read the three percent figure somewhere else (don't remember where), but just looking at wikipedia seems to corroborate that number.

Demographics of sexual orientation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Using google this ABC report says the number is 4%.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/william...5#.UdGs0PnvtSk

ESRwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #8

Quote:
I doubt it will have any affect at all. Although the media industry makes it seem like 30% of the population is gay, in reality they are only around 3% of the population. There are too few of them for it to make any difference.
+1
Some gay groups like to say 10% of the population, but recent polls of people that self identify as LGBT are around 3.8%. Since there are always people that won't admit to anything, I figure 5% would be closer. But the same point holds: probably not enough to make a difference for SS.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I heard/read the three percent figure somewhere else (don't remember where), but just looking at wikipedia seems to corroborate that number.
Wikipedia is known to have less-than-accurate info on a number of subjects and I am highly suspect in this number. I really do not believe we will ever know the % - not that it really matters.

Here's info from Gallup pointing out the difficulty of coming up with an accurate number:

Quote:
Americans now tend to overestimate the gay population in America. While most expert estimates place America's homosexual population at 10% or less, Americans tend to guess that the number is higher, around 20%.
What Percentage of the Population Is Gay?
Old 07-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

The issue is not so much how many are gay, but how many are entering into same sex marriages. So from an impact to SS/pensions is it better to look at, in states where same-sex marriage is legal, the percentage of same sex marriages occurring as compared to different sex marriages.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #11

A key point for me is closeted gays would not necessarily be claiming spousal benefits, so really, only the self-identified GLBT population is what would be considered for the financial effect on SS.

This was an interesting article with lots of links on LGBT population size (along with the comments). How Many Gay People Are There In America? Nope — You’re Wrong. | The New Civil Rights Movement

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
The issue is not so much how many are gay, but how many are entering into same sex marriages. So from an impact to SS/pensions is it better to look at, in states where same-sex marriage is legal, the percentage of same sex marriages occurring as compared to different sex marriages.
That ratio would likely overstate the inferred ratio of same-sex marriages to all marriages since the gay marriages in a gay marriage state would likely include a significant number of couples from other states that do not allow gay marriage.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #13

Regarding tax receipts:

Gay Couples More Educated, Higher-Income Than Heterosexual Couples - US News and World Report

Many Same-Sex Couples May Pay More in Taxes After Marriage - ABC News
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #14

As far as my state is concerned, I'd assume it's already been taken into account. Several years ago, the state supreme court ruled that it violated the state constitution to not provide benefits to domestic partners. As a result, health care and retirement benefits apply to domestic partners. Other than the health care benefits, I don't think it costs the state any more as pension benefits are actuarially reduced for a spouse, should the option be taken to provide survivor benefits. In theory, it should be a wash.
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #15

Our taxes will go up significantly if we get married, because both of us make relatively high incomes, so in our case, the government will see a net gain in tax revenues from our marriage. As for social security, since we both make incomes in excess of the maximum, our social security payments will both be about the same, and neither of us will benefit from getting the other person's benefits. Marriage is really a tax penalty for Federal, State and SS benefits if you have dual income high earners. The main benefit to me will be not having to paying income taxes on the imputed value of the health care benefits that I get from being on my partner's health care plan, which amounts to about $2,500 per year in extra taxes right now. Other than that, I'm not seeing much financial benefit from a taxation standpoint.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
And how will it affect tax receipts?
A 2004 study by the Congressional Budget Office estimated that it would increase government revenue by nearly $1 billion a year over 10 years.

http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/fil...exmarriage.pdf
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post

No doubt there will be some level of additional expense for SS and gov't pension funds. Time and actual numbers will be required before the exact amount of impact can be figured.

An interesting question is whether the talk of challenging the 10 year rule will turn into action. Apparently some same sex couples who have been in a committed relationship for years feel that the 10 year rule should not apply to them. They would have married years ago (probably more than 10 years ago) if the laws had allowed it. So despite only marrying now, a dependent spouse should receive spousal SS.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

What I cant understand is why one would be interested in this question. It's fact, no more debate. Also the answer is clear enough. Could more people drawing from the same pot possibly increase the amount available for each drawee?

Ha
Old 07-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
What I cant understand is why one would be interested in this question. .....
Interest in this question is financial, and rather complex. There are fiscal pluses and minuses to both revenues (e.g. marriage income tax penalties, inheritance taxes, SS benefit taxation w/higher outside income, etc.) and benefits (spousal insurances, SS, Medicaid, other public assistance). Controversial assumptions are important in gauging the overall impact of Scotus ruling. Most of what I've read suggests a net fiscal gain for US gov't (inc revenue & benefits), although the numbers vary widely from insignificant to huge. Of course, time will tell over the next several years.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
What I cant understand is why one would be interested in this question. It's fact, no more debate. Also the answer is clear enough. Could more people drawing from the same pot possibly increase the amount available for each drawee?
For SS and pensions specifically that is probably the case. However, for a same sex couple deciding whether to marry or not, particularly later in life, I can see that it would be something to think about just like it may be for opposite sex couples. That is because, the only benefits are not just SS and pensions. When looking at the entirety of benefits in some instances marriage would be financially beneficial while in others it might not. A married couple might pay more in income taxes, for example. Someone eligible for SSI or Medicaid as a single person might not be eligible as a married person, and so on. In short, being married doesn't just involve financial benefits but can also involve financial penalties.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote