How worried are you about inflation?

We buy 500lbs of deer corn each month. (DW likes to feed the deer every day all year) We have 6 to 8 deer out there everyday and sometime I've seen as many as 18 to 20 around dinner time :). (Gets hard to count that many as they wander around.) Anyway, the feed bill is usually about 55 dollars for 10 bags or $5.50 a bag... It's been that way for years now. Today, I just paid $97.50 for 10 bags... "Almost" double the cost in one month...

But the price of venison probably has gone through the roof. :dance:

I guess your DW doesn’t grow any vegetables or ornamental plants.
Not anymore, they seem to go first :)

Probably :) To bad I don't hunt deer anymore.... A couple of them will let the DW walk up to them within a few feet and "almost" hand feed them... They know the difference too since I can't get any closer than maybe 100 feet.

Last edited:
Good thing she doesn't get any closer. Deer are vectors for Lyme disease.
... A couple of them will let the DW walk up to them within a few feet and "almost" hand feed them... They know the difference too since I can't get any closer than maybe 100 feet.

And you don't want to get kicked!
I don't remember but as a small child I was stomped by a POed whitetail in a petting zoo. I thought it had enough corn and tried to not feed the anymore.

The cost of hunting licenses has not gone up yet, at least in our State. Buy a deer license and harvest a couple of deer (as we do every year)........it provides some high-quality meat for the freezer, and you don't have to worry about meat price increases at the store.:)

I have a pulse on bacon and brisket. Bacon @ Sam's has gone from <$17/4lbs to $24 in the past few months.

Brisket wen from $2.68 to $4.28/lb (whole) in just a few weeks.

Pork, salmon and chicken not as much...

We buy 500lbs of deer corn each month. (DW likes to feed the deer every day all year) We have 6 to 8 deer out there everyday and sometime I've seen as many as 18 to 20 around dinner time :). (Gets hard to count that many as they wander around.) Anyway, the feed bill is usually about 55 dollars for 10 bags or $5.50 a bag... It's been that way for years now. Today, I just paid $97.50 for 10 bags... "Almost" double the cost in one month...

Well on the positive side, I'm sure I see a huge increase in next years SS payments.:dance:
Your spouse is misguided in so many ways... deer are not pets. The can feed themselves,teaching them to count on your DW is not the way to go.

And you don't want to get kicked!

"Kicked" :confused: By dear or the deer? :)

Your spouse is misguided in so many ways... deer are not pets. The can feed themselves,teaching them to count on your DW is not the way to go.

I'll be sure to let her know how wrong she's been,,,,,, again.....:rolleyes:

The cost of hunting licenses has not gone up yet, at least in our State. Buy a deer license and harvest a couple of deer (as we do every year)........it provides some high-quality meat for the freezer, and you don't have to worry about meat price increases at the store.:)

Great segue to try and get us back on topic of "worried about inflation", if you are a deer hunter, (or just about any game hunter for that matter) the cost of guns and particularly ammo has really gone up... For a while in the past year it was really hard to find any ammo at any price but things seem to getting better, at least around here.

Last edited:
Not worried about inflation at all.
Very worried about the wealth inequality in our country.

If I were retired and especially if I were living on a lower fixed income, as many are, I'd be extremely concerned about inflation.

Last edited:
Not worried about inflation at all.
Very worried about the wealth inequality in our country.

Me too. I mean, what's the point of being rich if everyone else is also rich?

I think there were one to many zeros.Take the one off the end then your in the ball park of a good paying driving job. (Back to lurking)
I saw the headlines today for the 14k/wk truck driver but I didn't read the article since it sounded totally absurd to me... Now that would be inflationary.... Or maybe it was for hauling nitro on (IRT) Ice Road Truckers.

It is no use lecturing animal overfeeders (whether of wild or tame animals...or even, sometimes, of humans!)

Both wild and tame animals are very, very good at cadging food from humans. They know how to make it fun and rewarding for the feeders.

And note the cautions in this DNR bulletin about overfeeding deer with corn. It's not good for them. Probably a bigger deal in winter when other food sources are reduced. https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/wildlifehabitat/documents/winterdeerfeeding.pdf

It's far from final, but encouraging to see lumber Jul 2021 future contracts down for 6 consecutive days straight. Hopefully it signifies producers ramping up production to meet rising prices/demand.

Attachments

• Lumber futures.JPG
    Lumber futures.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 30
Back
Top Bottom