How'd you spoil yourself when you feeling "rich"?

Enuff2Eat

Full time employment: Posting here.
How do spoil yourself when you feeling "rich" or made a big profit on a businesss or a stock or a real estate deal or a fat bonus at work:confused:

The last time it happened to me, We did a super highly greasy dinner for the whole family, a nice laptop for myself, and a side-by-side refrigerator for my honey... oh yeah, daddy was a hero that day

Just wish i feel "rich" more often..

enuff

Enuff2Eat said:
The last time it happened to me, We did a super highly greasy dinner for the whole family, a nice laptop for myself, and a side-by-side refrigerator for my honey...

That's normal living stuff.    I got a big bonus check about a month ago and my big splurge is that I haven't even deposited the check in the bank yet.

I spoil myself by investing every penny. ;)

Enuff2Eat said:
How do spoil yourself when you feeling "rich" or made a big profit on a businesss or a stock or a real estate deal or a fat bonus at work:confused:
- Master bath 48"x72" whirlpool tub/shower with custom cabinetry
- $530 kitchen dishwasher (very quiet)
- Buying fundraiser coupons from every kid with the guts to ring our doorbell
- Renting a power auger for planting the back hillside & yard (two hours, 50 holes, no waiting!)
- Thailand trips with spouse
- Taking our friends to dinner during our vacation.  All of them.  Several times.
- Drinking Kona instead of coffee
- Renting a downtown B&B in Washington, DC for Smithsonian tours instead of staying in hotels
- 20th anniversary dinner (embarrassing our kid with the romance:  priceless!)
- Pentax W10 waterproof digital surf camera
- Orthopedic knee braces for tae kwon do
- Bigger doboks (uniforms) & new pads to wear over the knee braces
- Really nice tae kwon do kicking paddles
- Photovoltaic solar panels and hot water panels on the roof
- Having the roofers coat our lanai Brai torch-on roofs with reflective coatings instead of doing it ourselves (extra bonus points:  they did it while I was out surfing)
- Safety fins and noseguards for our surfboards
- Spending a couple days in Maui for the annual Veteran's Day tae kwon do tournament

And, last but definitely not least:  
Sending the price of a case of frosty beverages to Dory's server fund.

We still have a list:
- A newer refrigerator (Craigslist) just for the lower power consumption
- A new (or newer) livingroom sleeper sofa
- New stairway & master bedroom carpeting
- Spouse says that we want new livingroom window coverings
- A DIY pergola along the side of the house
- Replace a livingroom window with french doors (exiting to the pergola)
- A new embossed concrete back lanai
- Get rid of all the 17-year-old Futurastone
- An overhauled familyroom with a cathedral ceiling, noise-insulated walls, and fancy carpet (after the bunny goes to his great reward)
- Send the diningroom table out for refinishing (after we're empty-nesters)
- A roof extension over the master bedroom (keep the sun & rain off the windows)
- El toro zoysia in the side yard
- Metal roll-down hurricane shutters over the picture windows
- New flow-sensing shutoff valves for the washing machine
- "Expensive" rotogravure sheet vinyl flooring for MIL's kitchen
- A used Prius with a boosted battery pack
- Flying first class (when we're empty nesters?)
- Buying a small investment condo at the bottom of the market
- And finally, you can never have too many inverters or photovoltaic panels!

An extra 6 carrots at the farmers market.

Nords, You're definitely my HERO. You know how to live, man.. you're the man. I am so damm glad that my wife is NOT a member of this club, she will not be happy with just a side by side refrigerator and a greasy dinner.

I will definitely use your post as a reference for my next "spoil" day. Cheese, it must be a great day for you to spoil yourself that good. thanks for sharing.

enuff

Interesting stuff. DW and I never really tied our career success to our financial splurges. We treat ourselves regularly. And we both enjoyed a lot of career success. I just can't think of a time when we decided to splurge based on the success. :) :) :)

I add some raw veggies to the ramen.

2Cor521

We exist in a constant state of spoilage, only the methods change. Our current addictions er, ah, eccentricities include adding to our completely unessessary collections of collectible items at various antique fairs. We are rationalizing my current one-day per week PT check as the "bonus to finance our "winnings" It doesn't quite cover it, but we are quite capable of tricking our selves into believing it does... ::) :LOL: 8)

When I got a sizable raise recently we did a few modest things, like ordering some extra special coffee from Green Mountain. That's about it. If I get a very large bonus this year, we are toying with the idea of an RV, but I am not sure we really want to part with the money.

Pre retirement:  Total up our net worth and bask in the glow of the possibility of an early retirement.

Post retirement: Total up our net worth and bask in the glow of the possibility of remaining in retirement.   

brewer12345 said:
When I got a sizable raise recently we did a few modest things, like ordering some extra special coffee from Green Mountain.  That's about it.  If I get a very large bonus this year, we are toying with the idea of an RV, but I am not sure we really want to part with the money.

If my shipping stocks come through, I will buy me a new golf cart for retirement.  ;)

DOG52 said:
If my shipping stocks come through, I will buy me a new golf cart for retirement.  ;)

No gurantees on that one...

I save it and then splurge when something cool comes around.  Just bought 4 playoff tickets to the Detroit Tigers.  Now if they don't choke it away and I get to go it would be a wise purchase !

Mudd

My splurges haved changed over the years.

When I was young, a nice/interesting meal out meant a lot to me--fun private time with DH or just plain fun with friends, and freedom from planning a meal and cooking and cleaning up. This doesn't mean as much to me any more as I get plenty of private time with DH now that I'm a retired empty-nester, we have differetn ways of having fun now, it's easier to plan meals after many eyars of experience, plus we often share the work load. Meals out in foreign countries is the last vestige, I guess.

As I got older, shared experiences with the kids (museums, parks, camping, sailing) and upgrading the college-castoff furnishings became priorities--but the kids are indepedent now, and I have more furnishings than I need (about to ship a few to DD & SIL in England, and have some more at the ready for when DS moves to a larger apartment or his own condo/house--and this after getting rid of tons after the last 3 moves!).

Now that I'm retired, travel is a priority. If I don't travel in my 50s/early 60s, I will likely lose the stamina as well as income to do so. A couple of our trips (India a few years ago and Africa next summer) would be financially inadvisable once DH is also retired.

We just had most of the house carpeted in top of the line Karastan Ultra Carpet and the bathrooms, entryway, and hubby's den-office tiled.

Momtwo

Every time I receive either a large bonus or distribution check we invest part of it in some kind of upgrade for the house, replacement windows, had the house sided, replaced the ready-to-fall-down garage, or remodeled a room. We never feel "rich" so it tends to be practical things. I'm thinking with this year's bonus I'd like to have a closet in the bathroom turned into my laundry so I don't have to go down stairs to the cellar.

Although 3 years ago I did let dh splurge and replace my Sportster with the FatBoy, a girl has to have some fun.

We usually save 25% and spend the rest on a trip.

Last year it was a 5 day cruise.

Year before was a trip to Maui

Next year will be our last bonus and DW will be taking her daughters to the Big Apple for a visit (I have no interest in going :p)

Our bonuses are not large but they do help offset the BS buckets for a while.

I'll have to defer judgement until such time as I "feel" rich...  ::)

Though my profit sharing check in 2005 bought a 50" DLP tv to round out my modest home theatre...

Maybe a PRS guitar and a Marshall amp...  8)

For me it is finally feeling like we can afford to splurge on taking my mom on a dream 2-week trip to Italy for her 65th birthday, just the two of us! Leaving October 28th!

I try (really hard) not to imagine what that amount, invested for 20 years, would be! But taking my mom somewhere cool has got to be a better "investment". :D
Sarah

This is timely, I just got a bonus and have been wondering how I might spend it. Haven't come up with anything yet.

I expect I'll put it in the mutual fund and let it grow -- I got a new car last year, don't need anything for the house...

I think the ONLY thing I really want is my freedom, and every dollar that gets me closer to being able to buy that is a dollar I want to save. This is not to say that I don't plan a vacation every year, take time out for dinner with friends, etc., but that any extra is more likely to be saved than spent.

The only splurge would be a roadtrip to a remote and rugged desert hot springs for a campout. No phone, no electricity, no crowds, no work.

Just a tent next to the springs, a few cool ones in the ice chest, my honey by my side and the Eastern Sierra for scenery.

Sigh.

Back
Top Bottom