Join Early Retirement Today

Hr 2847
Old 06-01-2014, 06:00 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Hr 2847

What are your thoughts as to the effects of HR 2847 on the US economy? Do you think there will be less foreign investment?
sanfanciscotreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2014, 06:03 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Want to give us a link - or at least a hint - at what Hr 2847 is all about?
Old 06-01-2014, 06:24 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Maybe
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:35 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

According to thomas the library of congress site HR 2847 ishttp://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c113:H.R.2847: is
H.R.2847 -- Wounded Warrior Service Dog Act of 2013 (Introduced in House - IH)
HR 2847 IH
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:23 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
According to thomas the library of congress site HR 2847 ishttp://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c113:H.R.2847: is
H.R.2847 -- Wounded Warrior Service Dog Act of 2013 (Introduced in House - IH)
HR 2847 IH
He's probably thinking of the scarelore version of HR 2847, passed along in chain e-mails by those wary of the ways of the Bavarian Illuminati, but also offering salvation if one will only shell out $149 for a subscription to Stansberry's Investment Advisory newsletter. That one calls for Certain Doom and the collapse of the dollar as a reserve currency on July 1.

Really.

The bill of concern actually is the 2010 version of H.R 2847, which only peripherally touches on service dogs. This is the bill that brought FATCA, the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act, into being. The Certain Doom comes from requiring foreign banks to report accounts of US citizens back to the IRS. See, according to one theory, this will cause all foreign investors to pull out of US markets, because somehow they're all at risk of penalties from the IRS.

The reporting by foreign banks to the IRS is just the flip side of individual taxpayers reporting their foreign accounts to the IRS, which they've been doing for many years, unless they are very naughty. It is a paperwork hassle for the foreign banks, and as we've discussed here a few times before, some banks just don't want to deal with the odd US citizen abroad because of this.

Swiss Bank Accounts
Hi from Mr. B - Need help on "expatriate" taxes
Taxes and the american citizen...
ExPats rejoice!
A misleading tax article for US citizens
Offshore Accounts
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:03 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Maybe
I disagree.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:08 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I disagree.
Sigh...

How can you when the truth is so obvious?!
Old 06-02-2014, 05:50 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Sigh...

Eyes roll

"It is not worth while to strain one's self to tell the truth to people who habitually discount everything you tell them, whether it is true or isn't."
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:50 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've seen similar concerns raised elsewhere. I think the bill they intend to reference is the requirement to report foreign bank accounts with increased penalty for failure to comply. The argument is that this somehow makes dollars less attractive to foreign investment and as a result crushes the value of the dollar and by extension crushes the US economy. It's a very fear-mongering argument.

I don't know why people are so susceptible to being swept up in these crazes. Whoever is circulating these emails must be very good at getting emotional responses that keep people from understanding and analyzing the actual arguments being made. Perhaps this is similar to why people follow investment guru advice, or political pundits. If the scare is big enough (end of the world as we know it) then even the very remote possibility that that could actually happen seems to get people all excited. I think there are a lot more ways that the US economy could be crushed than a wave of unexpected consequences from enforcing taxation on Americans who are hiding income in foreign accounts, but who knows. The email messages are vague enough and so short on actual details that maybe they mean an entirely different problem. There are plenty of scary problems.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:28 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Snopes has a pretty good rundown on it. snopes.com: H.R. 2847 - July 1, 2014 the U.S. Dollar Will Officially Collapse

Bottom line, it's about US citizens having to report foreign accounts to minimize tax fraud. The fear mongering is mostly by investment firms trying to drum up business.
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:51 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Sigh...

It should be intuitively obvious to even the most casual observer.

Power follows steam demand.

KVAR load increases.

Good grief.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:12 PM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

Honestly, i want to support wounded warrior service dogs. I don't know why you guys are so mean.
ERsoonihope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:25 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Power follows steam demand.
Of course. The world would cease to exist if it didn't.