Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

HSA and Medicare receipts
Old 04-01-2023, 07:09 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

HSA and Medicare receipts

I see that I can reimburse Medicare B and D premiums, but not Medigap premiums.

If reimbursed, can these premiums or other expenses still be deducted as medical expenses subject to itemized deduction rules?

What is the best way to save receipts for Medicare premiums if I have them automatically paid from my checking account? Are the bank statements enough?
joesxm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2023, 07:34 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For HSA Medicare Premium payments record keeping we save a copy of the Medicare payment history covering the past year from Medicare.gov .
Old 04-01-2023, 08:06 AM   #3

AFAIK, you can't deduct medical expenses that were paid using an HSA. That would be equivalent to deducting the expenses twice.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 08:34 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

The companies my wife and I work for offers HRA (Health Reimbursement Account) starting at age 65 that can be used for Medigap premiums. I'm hoping it is still available when we reach 65.
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 02:11 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesxm3 View Post
I see that I can reimburse Medicare B and D premiums, but not Medigap premiums.
Correct. There also other things that you can additional reimburse tax-free from an HSA (OTC stuff, dental, vision, medical copays, etc.) of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesxm3 View Post
If reimbursed, can these premiums or other expenses still be deducted as medical expenses subject to itemized deduction rules?
No:

"Caution: You can’t deduct qualified medical expenses as an itemized deduction on Schedule A (Form 1040) that are equal to the tax-free distribution from your HSA."

-- page 9 of IRS Pub 969 https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p969.pdf

If you have enough medical expenses and wanted to, you could take the itemized deduction for some of your medical expenses, and take an HSA distribution for other of your medical expenses. So if you had $30K in medical expenses, you could take a Schedule A itemized deduction for ($15K - 7.5% of AGI) and a qualified HSA distribution for $15K.

But you can't double dip as another poster said.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 10:21 PM   #6

Medigap premiums aren't deductible for the same reason that they can't be reimbursed by HSA. Congress made it that way.
teej1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 11:07 PM   #7

This may be a dumb question, but why would one want to reimburse one's self for qualified Medicare expenses from an HSA? Isn't that equivalent to moving tax free money into a taxable account, in which any growth/income would be taxable?
Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 01:27 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
This may be a dumb question, but why would one want to reimburse one's self for qualified Medicare expenses from an HSA? Isn't that equivalent to moving tax free money into a taxable account, in which any growth/income would be taxable?
There are a few reasons why a person might want to do so:

1. They want to pay for their expenses without creating additional taxable income in that year.

2. They want to reduce the balance in their HSA in order to:

a. Eliminate their HSA and have one fewer account to deal with, and/or

b. Avoid or reduce the impact of the not-particularly-beneficial tax treatment of HSAs upon their death.

As for your second question, although money is fungible, a distribution from an HSA wouldn't be really growing after disbursement because it is going to pay (via reimbursement) a medical expense. If a person who made an HSA distribution also invests into a taxable account, then it's conceptually more like the money that they got from some other source (to originally pay the medical expenses) was put into the taxable account and the HSA money went for the medical expenses. In some cases, the money to pay the medical expenses in the first place may have come from the taxable account, so it's just putting money back in the same place.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 04-02-2023, 06:11 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, there's really no growth because the money has gone out the door for the qualified medical expenses. I do withdrawals regularly since we went on Medicare because I want to drain these accounts over time. HSAs don't inherit well at all... they are taxable income to the beneficiary AND there are questions whether your heirs can even withdraw for your past medical expenses tax free. Also, even if that part was clear I didn't want DW and DD to have to remember to do the withdrawal.

So I did a big withdrawal for 2010-2019 qualified medical expenses and now each February I do a withdrawal for the prior year's qualified medical expenses... principally Medicare Part B and Part D premiums, deductibles, vision, dental, etc. At that rate our HSAs will be gone in about 5-6 years and we'll have two less financial accounts to deal with.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 06:18 AM   #10

Quote:
I have been draining my employer-HSA the past couple of years. It's non-transferable so I can't move it to Fido or whatever. And they have a small monthly fee now that I'm no longer contributing (which I can't, because no longer employed, catch-22). Oh and when I put in my final reimbursement request this week I had to subtract $25 for an Account Closure Fee...

my word, the words that came out of my mouth....

But mainly I had enough expenses of late, and I don't want to save receipts (even digital) for years on end. I'm the one that would get audited and then realize they lost that file...
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 06:36 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Pretty much same with planned drain of our HSAs before we get too old. We still have plenty growing tax-deferred untouched for a long while.
Old 04-02-2023, 07:11 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Income will be taxable, but can be minimized by choosing appropriate investments. Growth need not be taxable, since your heirs get stepped-up basis.
Phroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 08:10 AM   #13

We're saving our HSA savings for dental issues. I have too many crowns that are very old. One is from when I was 12 and fell off my bike! It's hanging there. Dentists can tell how old your crowns are by the material used. And my front tooth has a tiny fracture. You can't see it.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 12:24 PM   #14

Thanks everyone for the great responses. I'm gonna start draining it down as well.

Two more questions: 1) Do those of you who use your HSA for Medicare parts B & D have those payments come directly from your HSA, or reimburse later? 2) Is the IRMAA portion of B & D a qualified HSA expense?
Old 04-02-2023, 02:14 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I reimburse later.

Haven't researched it but I would think whatever you actually paid for Part B and Part D would qualify irrespective of what IRMAA tier it is.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 05:14 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the great responses. I'm gonna start draining it down as well.

Two more questions: 1) Do those of you who use your HSA for Medicare parts B & D have those payments come directly from your HSA, or reimburse later? 2) Is the IRMAA portion of B & D a qualified HSA expense?
1. For people on SS, their Medicare B and D are deducted from their SS payment. So people in that situation with HSAs would be forced to reimburse.

Also, it seems to me that HSAs are sort of like savings or brokerage accounts; they're not really set up to do monthly bill pays. So even for those on Medicare but not SS, they probably also go the reimbursement amount.

2. Yes. IRMAA is a Medicare B and D surcharge, so it counts. For those on SS subject to IRMAA, when they get their 1099-SSAs, it doesn't even split IRMAA out. It just says, "Hey, you paid $X for Medicare B and $Y for Medicare D." The only way to know it's IRMAA is to see that the number on the 1099-SSA is larger than normal. (Well that and from the SS benefits letter each year that says what your IRMAA is going to be, of course.)
Old 04-02-2023, 06:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Also, it seems to me that HSAs are sort of like savings or brokerage accounts; they're not really set up to do monthly bill pays.
I’m not I’d agree. Our HSA has a debt card and we use to pay our dentist and pharmacist, for example.

Easy peasy…
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 06:42 PM   #18

Quote:
1. For people on SS, their Medicare B and D are deducted from their SS payment. So people in that situation with HSAs would be forced to reimburse.

Also, it seems to me that HSAs are sort of like savings or brokerage accounts; they're not really set up to do monthly bill pays. So even for those on Medicare but not SS, they probably also go the reimbursement amount.

2. Yes. IRMAA is a Medicare B and D surcharge, so it counts. For those on SS subject to IRMAA, when they get their 1099-SSAs, it doesn't even split IRMAA out. It just says, "Hey, you paid $X for Medicare B and $Y for Medicare D." The only way to know it's IRMAA is to see that the number on the 1099-SSA is larger than normal. (Well that and from the SS benefits letter each year that says what your IRMAA is going to be, of course.)
Thanks so much. Yeah, I'm not taking SS yet so I typically forget about that scenario. And I agree our HSA is through a brokerage (Fidelity) and although I have a debit card, not sure if they're setup for periodic bill-pays.
Old 04-02-2023, 07:25 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

We are paying directly from the HSA. It is convenient to us to do it that way as the Fidelity HSA has a good bill pay system.* Once SS starts paying for those premiums we will switch to reimbursement. Whatever you pay for Part B and D premiums is qualified.

Quote:
Quote:
And I agree our HSA is through a brokerage (Fidelity) and although I have a debit card, not sure if they're setup for periodic bill-pays.
*Yes, the Fidelity HSA is now set up for periodic bill pays. DH schedules a whole year once he gets his November letter telling him the amounts for the coming year. We make sure the core account covers it.
Old 04-02-2023, 08:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
*Yes, the Fidelity HSA is now set up for periodic bill pays. DH schedules a whole year once he gets his November letter telling him the amounts for the coming year. We make sure the core account covers it.
Thanks Audrey. Currently my B & D premiums are coming out of our checking account. Could I just switch it to Fidelity's HSA debit card number instead, at medicare.gov?