Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
HSA contributions just before Medicare enrollment
Old 10-15-2019, 10:30 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
lem1955's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 191
Send a message via Yahoo to lem1955
HSA contributions just before Medicare enrollment

I am 64 yo. I turn 65 in May, 2020. I'm on an HSA compatible individual health plan in 2019 and contributed my whole year's $4500 at the beginning of 2019. I just read that people should stop contributing to HSA's 6 months prior to enrolling in Medicare in order to avoid paying a tax penalty because Medicare Part A has a six month look back period. So it's clear that I should not enroll in an HSA plan for 4 months in 2020. Will I have to pay a tax penalty for Nov and Dec contributions to the HSA? Or even more time if I begin my application process in December or January? How much will the tax penalty be? Researching Medicare stuff is driving me bananas. Makes me think I want to set this up so I don't ever have to look at it again.
__________________
Retired 12/16/2015 at 60.
lem1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2019, 11:05 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by lem1955 View Post
I just read that people should stop contributing to HSA's 6 months prior to enrolling in Medicare in order to avoid paying a tax penalty because Medicare Part A has a six month look back period. So it's clear that I should not enroll in an HSA plan for 4 months in 2020.
Might seem clear but it is incorrect. The medicare.gov web site could be much clearer - see Medicare Part A Retroactive Coverage and HSA's | HSA Edge for a better explanation>

In short, as long as your birthday is not 1-May, you can make 2020 HSA contributions for 4/12 of the year. Again, see the linked article for details.
SevenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:35 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Beaverton
Posts: 1,382
This was discussed last week. Last response is correct
__________________
Jump in, the water's warm.
Bir48die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:54 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
lem1955's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 191
Send a message via Yahoo to lem1955
Thanks so much! I'm sorry I missed the discussion last week. I should know to always start with this forum. I get the best information fastest here.



Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenUp View Post
Might seem clear but it is incorrect. The medicare.gov web site could be much clearer - see Medicare Part A Retroactive Coverage and HSA's | HSA Edge for a better explanation>

In short, as long as your birthday is not 1-May, you can make 2020 HSA contributions for 4/12 of the year. Again, see the linked article for details.
__________________
Retired 12/16/2015 at 60.
lem1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
HSA late year contribution
Old 10-15-2019, 03:30 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 67
HSA late year contribution

I made our HSA contribution yesterday for the wife and I. She started Medicare in March so I contributed two months of HSA for her and the full year for me since I'm not on Medicare until 2021. So, if I read the link correctly, I discovered I can't contribute anything to the HSA for the wife since she isn't in the HSA anymore. I could have contributed two months for her but would have needed to do it before March 1. This apparently created an excess contribution so I transfered the excess contribution back to my taxable account. Thanks for starting this thread. Wish I had seen it a couple of days earlier.
Bogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:43 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.
mn54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: mpls, mn
Posts: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
I made our HSA contribution yesterday for the wife and I. She started Medicare in March so I contributed two months of HSA for her and the full year for me since I'm not on Medicare until 2021. So, if I read the link correctly, I discovered I can't contribute anything to the HSA for the wife since she isn't in the HSA anymore. I could have contributed two months for her but would have needed to do it before March 1. This apparently created an excess contribution so I transfered the excess contribution back to my taxable account. Thanks for starting this thread. Wish I had seen it a couple of days earlier.
this is not my understanding. You can contribute the 2 months of HSA for your wife. the deadline for contributions is the filing date for your taxes.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:06 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 67
https://www.hsaedge.com/2017/03/17/m...rage-and-hsas/
"The short answer to the above question is “nothing good”. First things first, we need to make clear the requirements for being able to contribute to a Health Savings Account. Note that these requirements are for new contributions only; once you successfully contribute to an HSA, the funds they are yours forever. However the key word in that sentence is “successfully”, as you must be HSA eligible for the contribution to be valid"


You are probably correct but I decided to err on the side of caution.
Bogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hsa, medicare, tax penalty


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Medicare Advantage Auto-Enrollment at Age 65 MBSC Health and Early Retirement 20 10-29-2016 08:35 AM
Some Medicare new enrollment questions rodi Health and Early Retirement 49 10-13-2016 02:43 PM
Medicare Enrollment Archman Health and Early Retirement 6 02-23-2016 12:16 PM
Open enrollment for Medicare frayne Health and Early Retirement 78 12-06-2015 07:50 PM
Medicare Enrollment Question nwsteve Health and Early Retirement 24 07-31-2012 12:53 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:24 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.