Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-19-2021, 08:39 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Added to our HSA's for many years. During those years we kept a record of expenses which we could use to draw down. We are now drawing down those funds to keep taxable income low. Has worked out well.

BTW, I took no offense at the Trophy reference. My definition is a younger, attractive spouse. No negative. Furthermore, I am 2 years younger than DW. Many, no some, no maybe someone thinks I am attractive, so I guess I am a Trophy husband.
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2021, 09:00 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post

I always do a self-check on anything I write that I intend to be humorous, but sometimes I fail to consider an interpretation.

I don't consider it any kind of failure. Humor in this medium isn't always easy, but yours worked with me, anyway.
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:07 AM   #23

DW doesn't mind being a "trophy wife", at least in the being attractive sense. She is five years younger than me. She's an electrical engineer and keeps me on my toes. And it was particularly ironic when she continued working after I retired and I could claim my trophy wife was supporting me! I figure that makes me super smart.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:51 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

So keep your medical bills that you pay directly for years, then when you need cash in the future, just reimburse yourself? A bout of COVID just cost me $4k but I didn't use my HSA, singer to draw $4K for free any time in the future?
BlueberryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:35 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueberryPie View Post
So keep your medical bills that you pay directly for years, then when you need cash in the future, just reimburse yourself? A bout of COVID just cost me $4k but I didn't use my HSA, singer to draw $4K for free any time in the future?
Not sure what "singer to draw" means, but yes, save your receipts, and you can pull out $4K at any time against that receipt, tax free. As long as you don't use that $4K as a schedule A medical deduction.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:57 PM   #26
Confused about dryer sheets

Many are saying keep your receipts but of course now days I have few hardcopy receipts. So what is considered sufficient as a receipt? A pdf file that I save on my computer that can be printed out seems OK but a lot of work to go back and find them all on various websites. For 2020 I had a few thousand dollars in medical bills that I compiled in a spreadsheet from my healthcare providers site, is that sufficient?

Actually I have been thinking in terms of bills not receipts. For example when I paid the bills early last year I paid them all online so if I didn't print the "receipt" then I'm not sure I can go back and get something official.

What should be saved that is sufficient for the IRS?
Gee1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:03 PM   #27

Well it was very easy to answer my own question with a quick Google search. Sorry to bother anyone...

https://finance.zacks.com/irs-requir...ipts-9289.html
Old 02-22-2021, 09:06 PM   #28

I think I may have just ran afoul of a rule when I tried to post a link. I did a quick Google search of "irs receipt sufficient" and there were many clear descriptions of what the IRS needs for verification. Sorry to bother you.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:47 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I keep EOBs and bills for medical bills and bills, credit card receipts or whatever for vision and dental. My pile fo 2010-2019 was ~2 1/2" thick as I recall.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:37 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I presumed that he was kidding. Lighten up.
I presumed that he was trying to be funny but was being moderately offensive because the term objectifies women, but then I'm a woman.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:45 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenER View Post
I presumed that he was trying to be funny but was being moderately offensive because the term objectifies women, but then I'm a woman.
That is true. A trophy is an object. A treasured object, but still.

Honey is a sweet object, so I guess that's out. (Sorry, hun.)

And please stop calling me a hunk. I mean that's not even a full object, is it?

Sorry. I really couldn't imagine anybody finding it offensive, but I'm convinced I was wrong about that.

Context matters. Perhaps some slack could be given to those referring affectionately to their own spouse?

I'm afraid to use the term "wife" now, because it defines her in relation to a man.
twaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:48 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
That is true. A trophy is an object. A treasured object, but still.

Honey is a sweet object, so I guess that's out. (Sorry, hun.)

And please stop calling me a hunk. I mean that's not even a full object, is it?

Sorry. I really couldn't imagine anybody finding it offensive, but I'm convinced I was wrong about that.

Context matters. Perhaps some slack could be given to those referring affectionately to their own spouse?

I'm afraid to use the term "wife" now, because it defines her in relation to a man.
Slack given, I originally read right past it assuming you didn't really think so little of your wife. But, it is a belittling term and different from honey which is a reference to something sweet or wife which only defines the married state in the same way that husband does. I really only commented because it appeared that only men were chiming in with their opinion of the term being just fine. I do realize you were joking though. Peace.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:06 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I keep EOBs and bills for medical bills and bills, credit card receipts or whatever for vision and dental. My pile fo 2010-2019 was ~2 1/2" thick as I recall.
I have a single shoe box for receipts since 2009 and it's not yet half full. And I've been saving all receipts, not just over $75. Last year I decided to scan them too. I think I'll stop bothering to scan those under $75 now that I know it's not required. Or maybe scan and not keep the paper. I write a unique ID (year-#) on each receipt to correlate with my spreadsheet.

And I probably shouldn't keep this alive, but look up the definition of "trophy wife", not just "trophy".

tro·phy wife

/ˈtrōfē ˌwīf/

noun derogatory•informal

noun: trophy wife; plural noun: trophy wives

1. a young, attractive wife regarded as a status symbol for an older man.

Definitions from Oxford Languages
Old 02-23-2021, 06:12 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenER View Post
I didn't read moderately offensive into it at all... I hope that you get over it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:29 AM   #35

Quote:
I didn't read moderately offensive into it at all... I hope that you get over it.
I have no doubt the OP meant Trophy Wife innocently enough, but it's just another on a long list of "innocent terms" that have their roots in outdated stereotypes. The list is long and tiresome, and when someone points it out, they get told to get over it. Great, nice.

Anyway. Yes, keep receipts, no I don't have a shoebox, but my insurance payment records are online and saved for long enough. DH and I have always maxed out our HSA's and always will. "But we're healthy" can easily be absorbed with a few dental issues, a twisted knee, one iffy blood test, etc.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:36 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Ah, but you are male. I am over it. Not a big deal to me and not my husband, so I'm good. Just thought to second that it's not a totally innocuous term. I hope you can accept that many women may see it differently than you do. Peace.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:53 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

We also keep all of our EOBs, bills and receipts and at the end of the year I make a list and come up with the total for the year. We have receipts now from 2015-2020. It occurs to me that we should really have them in a fire proof safe, as they represent money in the bank, if we ever need some extra cash without effecting our ACA cliff and without dipping into Roths. Otherwise our plan is to use the HSA money for Medicare premiums.
Quote:
Old 02-23-2021, 08:58 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
derogatory
Yeah, I get that, but again context matters. If I refer to somebody else's wife who obviously matches the stereotype, does that not seem different than the context I used it in? Neither my wife nor I match the stereotype. You don't even need to know me -- just the age difference I highlighted.

There are many similar context-dependent meanings. Right, Einstein?

(See what I did there? )

Edited to add: I do appreciate *some* of the input in this thread. I changed the HSA PoD beneficiary after I learned of the tax consequences (it was previously my kid).
Old 02-23-2021, 09:43 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, I get that, but again context matters. If I refer to somebody else's wife who obviously matches the stereotype, does that not seem different than the context I used it in? Neither my wife nor I match the stereotype. You don't even need to know me -- just the age difference I highlighted.

There are many similar context-dependent meanings. Right, Einstein?

(See what I did there? )

Edited to add: I do appreciate *some* of the input in this thread. I changed the HSA PoD beneficiary after I learned of the tax consequences (it was previously my kid).
One would think you'd also learn not to dig your heels in with excuses, half definitions, and more insults after it's been pointed out multiple times you used a derogatory term. I imagine there are women on here who have been demeaned by their husbands or boyfriends and don't like seeing any woman referred to in terms like that.

Feel free to have the last word, if you insist. I'm done here.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:52 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
One would think you'd also learn not to dig your heels in with excuses, half definitions, and more insults after it's been pointed out multiple times you used a derogatory term. I imagine there are women on here who have been demeaned by their husbands or boyfriends and don't like seeing any woman referred to in terms like that.

Feel free to have the last word, if you insist. I'm done here.
RB, don't be mad. Humor is hard. Especially on the net. Really, I wasn't insulting you. I thought it was a great example of context-dependent meaning, so I *had* to toss it in there.

Not digging in as much as I just like exploring these things *without* personal attacks.

I understand how somebody could be sensitive to language, but in terms of the sexism argument, I really don't see it.

As I said, before I used the term, I paused and considered if anybody could take it the wrong way. I misjudged it.

Just want to add, after this blew up, I googled it a bit. Target (the store) found themselves in a similar pickle with a t-shirt.

So apparently, even if somebody self-identifies jokingly as "trophy," it's a trigger. No judgement from me, but I just found it an interesting data point.

Mods: feel free to close this thread. I think it's deviated sufficiently from the initial purpose. Still some good discussion, though!