Join Early Retirement Today

Hussman funds
Old 05-12-2005, 07:30 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Hussman funds

Anyone know anything about the Hussman mutual funds? I know he has a strategic total return fund and a strategic growth fund. Comments?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Hussman funds
Old 05-12-2005, 07:55 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I saw the Hussman guy in an interview and they follow an asset allocation strategy. Like a lot of asset allocation funds the returns will depend on their ability to spot trends or shifts in certain market conditions (yikes). Their returns date back to the end of '00 and I am sure a lot fund managers look good since the end of '00 (avoided some of tech fallout and they were able to buy on the 9/11/01 dip). I would rather go with Vanguard which goes by more of a computerized/ratio method of calculating the best asset class and skip Hussman's expense ratio :P. One guy's fund I do respect in the asset allocation arena is Leuthold's "Market Neutral" or Core Fund. The guy (Steve Leuthold) is pretty sharp (from right there in MN ), has a long-term record and has done real well in terms of risk-adjusted returns. Fund has pretty much the same strategy as Hussman, preservation and growth.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:33 AM   #3

FYI Martha - they are probably not a true asset allocation fund by definition but I tend to label any fund that changes strategies according to market conditions as an asset allocation fund. They do shorts and options in an attempt to control risk so I don't know how comfortable you are with that
Old 05-12-2005, 08:34 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Bearx

Thanks Wildcat. We are looking at mutual funds with hedge fund characteristics and Leuthold's fall into that category.

Anyone know about the Prudent Bear fund? BEARX?

Have you tried FundAlarm?
Old 05-12-2005, 10:06 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Have you tried FundAlarm?

Martha,

* * *Have you researched these at the FundAlarm discussion board and data tables?* If the funds have any dirt, Roy Weitz will dish it in the archives.* The discussion board also has several posters (Rono, UncleHarley, & Ed) who live to dissect funds and their performance.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Have you tried FundAlarm?
Old 05-12-2005, 11:09 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Have you tried FundAlarm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Martha,

Have you researched these at the FundAlarm discussion board and data tables? If the funds have any dirt, Roy Weitz will dish it in the archives. The discussion board also has several posters (Rono, UncleHarley, & Ed) who live to dissect funds and their performance.
Thanks Nords, I will look there.

Old 05-12-2005, 11:56 AM   #7

Leuthold also offers a bear market fund
Old 05-12-2005, 02:37 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Martha, Hussman used to publish a newsletter that I subscribed to. I also talked to him on several occasions. To me, he is very smart, completely consistent, and fairly realistc about what he might be able to do. He stays fully invested, with varying amounts of hedging against that position that he mostly does by buying puts and or selling calls on ETFs. (QQQQ, SPY, etc.) I believe at the present time he is bearish and pretty much fully hedged. So any return woulkd come mostly from the differential performance between his longs and his hedges.

He has a website where you can look at an archive of his weekly essays. IMO, these are excellent.

Mikey