Hussman Strategic Total Return

lawman

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have much of my investments in C.D.'s that are maturing this month. I'm looking for something that offers the probability of a slightly higher return at only slightly more risk. I have been following John Hussman who manages the Hussman Funds..I think he's a better investor than I ...LOL...I'm looking at HSTRX...Any opinions or better suggestions?

I have much of my investments in C.D.'s that are maturing this month. I'm looking for something that offers the probability of a slightly higher return at only slightly more risk. I have been following John Hussman who manages the Hussman Funds..I think he's a better investor than I ...LOL...I'm looking at HSTRX...Any opinions or better suggestions?

The graph of his performance over many types of markets is very compelling. Stuff like what happened to most of us over the last month didnt happen to him.

ha

I have a good amount of money invested with Hussman - both HSGFX and HSTRX.

This post was timely, as I'm trying to figure out my fixed income allocations. I was planning on going 50% HSTRX and 50% BND, but am open to suggestions.

How do you all invest your "fixed income" side of your stash?

The graph of his performance over many types of markets is very compelling. Stuff like what happened to most of us over the last month didnt happen to him.

ha

Yes, but I'm always dubious when it comes to actively managed funds with redemption fees and higher expenses than say Vanguard Index funds. Sure one year you may benefit from some good management, but next year you might also suffer from a really dumb move. For me lack of management, ie indexing, is the surest way to succeed for the long term investor.

Yes, but I'm always dubious when it comes to actively managed funds with redemption fees and higher expenses than say Vanguard Index funds. Sure one year you may benefit from some good management, but next year you might also suffer from a really dumb move. For me lack of management, ie indexing, is the surest way to succeed for the long term investor.

You have many people in agreement with you.

Ha

The other problem with successful actively managed funds is you never know when the manager's luck is finally going to run out. If you had cast your dice 2 years ago with Bill Miller's Legg Mason fund banking on his 15 year track record of beating the S&P, you'd have been terribly sorry.

I think I'd have a better shot at picking winning stocks then I'd have at picking winning fund managers.

Back
Top Bottom