Join Early Retirement Today
Thread Tools Display Modes
I accidentally contributed too much to my IRA's this year...what to do?
Old 08-26-2008, 09:12 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
thefed's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,203
I accidentally contributed too much to my IRA's this year...what to do?

I'm with Vanguard....but am to curious to wait til the a.m. to find out what they say. It happened by mistake using automatic deposits....over by $420

Any ideas?

thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Sarah in SC's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 13,566
They can send you an IRA distribution form and it has a portion that is for return of over-contribution. They will figure out the gains (if any) and refund it to you. Or at least this is how Schwab does it. YMMV
“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:19 PM   #3
gone traveling
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,864
I did the same thing early last year- but Federated didn't send a refund check until after the first of this year, so the money worked for me all year.
(it didn't accomplish much, but at least it was on the payroll )
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:22 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
slouch's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 155
I did the same thing with Vanguard a few years back. The process is painless, just give them a call. Instead of withdrawing the excess contribution, you could roll it over into a traditional nondeductible ira. From what I understand, in CY2010 the nondeductible ira can then be converted to a roth ira, regardless of your income levels.
slouch is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Roth IRA's laurinsane FIRE and Money 24 04-12-2008 07:38 AM
Did you have some form of windfall that significantly contributed to Networth? chinaco FIRE and Money 57 04-25-2007 05:33 PM
Accidentally watched a Kiyosaki video today NinjaPigeon FIRE and Money 31 03-07-2007 02:50 PM
When you don't have IRA's modhatter FIRE and Money 5 02-17-2006 10:07 PM
IRA's for income over $200K Foodeefish FIRE and Money 12 01-07-2006 10:21 AM

» Quick Links

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:54 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.