I am helping my brother with his auto insurance

FANOFJESUS

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
He has a net worth of 1 million. He asked me is there anything on his policy he can reduce? How about the uninsured/underinsured does it need to be that high? Here is his policy.

Umbrella 1 million

Bodily Injury Liability
$250,000 per person/$500,000 per accident

Property Damage Liability
$50,000 per accident

Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury

Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury

Medical Payments
$10,000 per accident

Last edited:
Those levels seem reasonable. Has he thought about letting other companies provide quotes for similar coverage. We used to do that every three years. One time it dropped our cost by 25 %.

Does he have comprehensive & collision insurance?

I was advised that if I had collision, comprehensive and my own health insurance, I could skip the Uninsured/underinsured insurance. Whether you can do that or not depends on your state. In Colorado, by default, you get that insurance & have to opt out. Obviously, you need to be aware of your deductibles & maximum out-of-pocket healthcare expenses. Dropping the uninsured motorist insurance is a risk.

Does he have comprehensive & collision insurance?

I was advised that if I had collision, comprehensive and my own health insurance, I could skip the Uninsured/underinsured insurance. Whether you can do that or not depends on your state. In Colorado, by default, you get that insurance & have to opt out. Obviously, you need to be aware of your deductibles & maximum out-of-pocket healthcare expenses. Dropping the uninsured motorist insurance is a risk.

He does not have comprehensive & collision insurance (old car) He does have health insurance.

What minimum limits are required by his umbrella insurance?

Those may explain the amounts he currently has, which to me are reasonable.

I use a local insurance broker who gets me the best price. Right now I'm with Safeco for everything; home, cars, motorcyces, RV's, umbrella, etc. Because one carrier covers both auto and home, I get a significant discount. Why do all the calling if a broker can get a better price?

These are the only things he can change with the Umbrella. With health insurance are these three needed?

Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury

Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury

Medical Payments
$10,000 per accident

Last edited:
I use a local insurance broker who gets me the best price. Right now I'm with Safeco for everything; home, cars, motorcyces, RV's, umbrella, etc. Because one carrier covers both auto and home, I get a significant discount. Why do all the calling if a broker can get a better price?

Same here.

I would work on the competition angle before lowering or dropping coverage. Price shopping the same coverage will have just as good a chance of lowering premiums as dropping those coverages.

I think his property damage is on the low side when some cars cost well over 50K. Not to mention it is not that hard to wind up in a multi-car accident.

I think his property damage is on the low side when some cars cost well over 50K. Not to mention it is not that hard to wind up in a multi-car accident.

The Umbrella will kick in after 50k. He had to have 50k for the Umbrella.

I had an idea to tell him to drop Medical Payments but his ACA deductible is 7500 so that might not be a wise move. Is Uninsured/Underinsured really needed?

I had an idea to tell him to drop Medical Payments but his ACA deductible is 7500 so that might not be a wise move. Is Uninsured/Underinsured really needed?

Well that is up to you but I think so personally. Ask your agent what happens if someone with no insurance is at fault and you DON'T have it.

In my state med pay over 5k has to be paid back (or so I was told). But insurance is very state specific so what is going to work for me may not work for you.

Agree as stated above with the person that said price shopping is a generally a better bet than dropping coverage.

Last edited:
OP - You didn't say how much would he save for these various items ?

As others have said, get quotes from other companies, remembering that companies often give discounts for bundles (home,auto,umbrella).

Did something change to make your relative suddenly need cheaper auto insurance ?

As others have said, SGOTI is not the person to ask about this. Copy the "deck" (declaration) pages, which describe each coverage, for every insurance policy he has, including his home and his umbrella. Black out the premium amounts, and copy again - two or three sets of copies to be given to independent agents for shopping.

Then ask them your questions.

Deductibles? I went to $1,000 several years ago but haven't checked to see how much a difference it makes lately. Having a couple relatively new cars has made my insurance bill not that nice lately... Maybe it's time to check that again.

Medical payments also covers other people in your vehicle. We keep ours at $50k, and sometimes wonder if that’s enough since so many people have high deductibles these days.

Medical payments also covers other people in your vehicle. We keep ours at $50k, and sometimes wonder if that’s enough since so many people have high deductibles these days.

Is either 10k or 50k enough? Will standard health insurance cover an auto wreck injury? Anybody know?

I just checked with my Bluecross/Blueshield health insurance, and found that they do cover my injuries if caused by auto accident, and standard deductibles apply. Since collision insurance will pay for my crashed car regardless of fault, I dropped UIM. Still trying to figure out if I want to keep Personal injury protection for riders in my car. I don't know anybody that doesn't have health insurance. Also, kind of an introvert, so seldom have passengers besides wife.

I just checked with my Bluecross/Blueshield health insurance, and found that they do cover my injuries if caused by auto accident, and standard deductibles apply. Since collision insurance will pay for my crashed car regardless of fault, I dropped UIM. Still trying to figure out if I want to keep Personal injury protection for riders in my car. I don't know anybody that doesn't have health insurance. Also, kind of an introvert, so seldom have passengers besides wife.

I never understood Uninsured and Underinsured much because you are insuring the other guy.

Something to think about; being sued. An insurance company has a fiduciary responsibility for their client to settle any law suit brought against them that is covered by insurance. Here's my story how that plays out;
A woman once had a damaged car that was throwing off sparks. The sparks set off a wildland fire that burned down my home. Her policy covered up to $50,000 for the damage. She was arrested and a judge awarded me criminal restitution for over $650,000. The insurance company would not pay me the $50,000 it agreed it did owe me based on their client's policy unless I signed off that ALL their client's debt was satisfied by doing so. I researched and sure enough; an insurance company has the obligation to their client to settle the matter and until they do, they have an open case and can't pay off until they do. I've briefly described the situation, but that's it in a nut shell. It turned out that the insurance company only needed me to sign off that I was satisfied civilly, not criminally. They were only obliged to ensure I would not pursue a civil case against their client for any outstanding losses above $50,000. I had no need to sue in civil court as I already had a criminal restitution order as part of her sentencing. In my state, the Franchise Tax Board keeps track of resident's income on their taxes and restitution orders from judges and will confiscate any monies that they harbor or gain that is above a living income and send it to me. I get checks every once in a while from the state's Victim Advocate's office. Small sums that don't add up to squat, but still, if she were ever to come into an inheritance, win the lottery, etc., the state would know and would collect.

The point is; no one knows what may happen to you or by you. That's why we have insurance. The bonus is the legal protection that policy also provides to settle any claims that would be covered, even in part, by the insurance company. That has value!

I never understood Uninsured and Underinsured much because you are insuring the other guy.

No you are insuring yourself against the possibility that the other guy who hits you has no insurance or too little to pay for your costs.

It does not pay the other guy for anything.

We would not need it as much, if low limits for insurance were raised to high levels. It would still be needed if someone drove without a license or stole a car and drove it into you.

No you are insuring yourself against the possibility that the other guy who hits you has no insurance or too little to pay for your costs.

It does not pay the other guy for anything.

We would not need it as much, if low limits for insurance were raised to high levels. It would still be needed if someone drove without a license or stole a car and drove it into you.

I had to use my underinsured insurance when my car was totaled and the guy who hit me only had $10000 insurance to cover a $15000 totaled vehicle.

Something to think about; being sued. An insurance company has a fiduciary responsibility for their client to settle any law suit brought against them that is covered by insurance. Here's my story how that plays out;
A woman once had a damaged car that was throwing off sparks. The sparks set off a wildland fire that burned down my home. Her policy covered up to $50,000 for the damage. She was arrested and a judge awarded me criminal restitution for over $650,000. The insurance company would not pay me the $50,000 it agreed it did owe me based on their client's policy unless I signed off that ALL their client's debt was satisfied by doing so. I researched and sure enough; an insurance company has the obligation to their client to settle the matter and until they do, they have an open case and can't pay off until they do. I've briefly described the situation, but that's it in a nut shell. It turned out that the insurance company only needed me to sign off that I was satisfied civilly, not criminally. They were only obliged to ensure I would not pursue a civil case against their client for any outstanding losses above $50,000. I had no need to sue in civil court as I already had a criminal restitution order as part of her sentencing. In my state, the Franchise Tax Board keeps track of resident's income on their taxes and restitution orders from judges and will confiscate any monies that they harbor or gain that is above a living income and send it to me. I get checks every once in a while from the state's Victim Advocate's office. Small sums that don't add up to squat, but still, if she were ever to come into an inheritance, win the lottery, etc., the state would know and would collect.

The point is; no one knows what may happen to you or by you. That's why we have insurance. The bonus is the legal protection that policy also provides to settle any claims that would be covered, even in part, by the insurance company. That has value!

How about your home owners policy did that make you whole?

Thank you for more food for thought! I'm trying to optimize car insurance cost and not be double insured, but your described scenario definitely describes having adequate liability insurance. Most responsible insured people do not carry enough liability insurance to cover the above scenario, that's for sure! As far as UIM goes, in Washington state, the Washington supreme court ruled in favor of insurance companies that they are allowed to be the adversary not the fiduciary in UIM claims.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom