Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-11-2020, 06:59 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good job on the first cut. I've been cutting my own hair for a couple years now, and I botched the first cut. Too short. It took me a while of playing with it, before I got it to how I like it. It's still kind of goofy-looking at times, but I'd rather do it this way than trek to the barber every month. That's why I cut my own hair -- it's not to save money, it's to save trouble.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Been thinking about growing my out again!
Old 04-11-2020, 07:07 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Been thinking about growing my out again!

Beststash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 07:11 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
I have my hair cut very short, like a #3, so I don't have to worry about "hat head"...but DW isn't a fan, so I suggested this would be a good time for her to learn how to cut my hair. I wouldn't complain, and she could cut it just the way she likes it, and I would give her the $20 I always give the barber.

So far, it's a "no"...
If you are just doing a #3 all over itís easy to do it yourself. The only thing you would need DW to do is trim the neckline.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 07:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53anddone View Post
I bought one of these a few years ago and never looked back

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

works like a charm if you wear your hair short.

Yes - this is really the best one if you keep your hair at 5/8 of an inch or less. And Iíve tried a few. Super easy to use because of the form factor
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 08:47 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

^ been doing mine for years now and I believe 5/8's is the attachment I use also. Every two weeks or so and is east and fast and a consistent look.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:00 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Follow this advice:

https://youtu.be/4Lk2KHajp4Y
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:08 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I have also been using this for a few years, currently down to the 2.5mm attachment. Works well, only issue is after about two years the battery wonít hold a charge, so I have to think ahead and recharge it just before I want to use it. Any of you other users have that problem?
Old 04-11-2020, 09:15 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat-tirement View Post
I have also been using this for a few years, currently down to the 2.5mm attachment. Works well, only issue is after about two years the battery wonít hold a charge, so I have to think ahead and recharge it just before I want to use it. Any of you other users have that problem?
Amazon's customer reviews mentioned this as a common issue. I figured two hair cuts is break-even, so I'm not too concerned about it.
BreathFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 01:58 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreathFree View Post
Amazon's customer reviews mentioned this as a common issue. I figured two hair cuts is break-even, so I'm not too concerned about it.

Mine last closer to three years. But as mentioned. It pays its way fairly quickly and I like it well enough to not care. I just buy a new one. I use it about once every week and a half or so. So itís well used.
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 04:56 AM   #30

I will try to find the photo of me when my #4 fell off and I made 2 passes before I realized, "we have a problem Houston".
Old 04-12-2020, 05:30 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
Bought a Flowbee over 20 years ago - haven't been to a barber/stylist since. One of the best investments I ever made. Do it myself in about 10 minutes any time I feel like it. No mess, no cleanup, perfect every time.

I have one also. Back in 89'-90' I worked for a company that made power supplies and I was involved in designing and selling the power unit for the first high volume production run of the Flowbee. Rick Hunts, the founder of the company, sent me a free unit and I have used it off and on since. Have been using it religiously since I FIRE'd. Does a nice job IMO.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:04 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdv2 View Post
I have one also. Back in 89'-90' I worked for a company that made power supplies and I was involved in designing and selling the power unit for the first high volume production run of the Flowbee. Rick Hunts, the founder of the company, sent me a free unit and I have used it off and on since. Have been using it religiously since I FIRE'd. Does a nice job IMO.
Well, you obviously did too good a job with the power supply as it refuses to die after all these years.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:51 AM   #33

I badly needed a haircut before the lockdown. So I gave up early into it, and bought a cheapo Conair clipper. Buzzed my head on #4 all over. I have not had hair this short in about 50 years.

Looked pretty shocking at first, but it's both growing out and growing on me, so to speak!
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:58 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
Well, you obviously did too good a job with the power supply as it refuses to die after all these years.

I see no reason why it shouldn't last at least another 20 years....
Old 04-12-2020, 08:58 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Almost all of the consumer grade clippers are out of stock and have long lead times.

So, besides learning to cook, people are learning to cut their own hair. It looks like the restaurant business and the hair cutting business will not be a good place to invest one's money after this mess is over. The next thing you know people will be making their own cars.

Self proclaimed President for Life of Outliers United.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:05 AM   #36

Quote:

Oooh, I like the shape on that one, that looks much nicer than what I have! I bought this cheaper Remington for about half the price (which is currently in stock, BTW), it's also waterproof and rechargeable but not nearly as easy to use. Still, it's lasted me 3 years so far, but when it breaks I might "splurge" on the Shortcut Pro! I'm a bit worried that I can't find anything about replacement batteries, though, with all the bad reviews about battery life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Remington trimmer.jpg (153.1 KB, 51 views)
Old 04-12-2020, 09:08 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
I badly needed a haircut before the lockdown. So I gave up early into it, and bought a cheapo Conair clipper. Buzzed my head on #4 all over. I have not had hair this short in about 50 years.

Looked pretty shocking at first, but it's both growing out and growing on me, so to speak!
Yep, I think I started with a #3 or 4, then a #2 for a long time...let's just say I've been using the 1/2 lately and considering trying a zero (without a guard) since I've been home...but of course, now we have a cold snap! Maybe when we get some warmer weather....
Old 04-12-2020, 09:32 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

For many years I cut my own hair to save money. Then I switched to Supercuts once I felt like I was doing better financially. I like not having to have an appointment, plus they are cheap, have a senior discount, and they do a reasonably good job with my wavy hair.

I had Supercuts give me the shortest haircut of my life last August, right before my knee surgery as part of my preparations for the surgery. This very short layered haircut was so short that it was essentially a "boy cut". It was very helpful to have extremely short hair after surgery since it required zero care while I was in the hospital and recovering. It took until maybe February to grow out.

Now it's getting a bit long and shaggy. But I am NOT going to cut it myself! That's a lot of work and takes me forever to do. Instead I am reverting to my 1960's "long haired hippie girl" appearance, and if that starts looking worse than it does now, then I can always tie it in a pony tail or something until I can go to Supercuts once again.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:38 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
So, besides learning to cook, people are learning to cut their own hair. It looks like the restaurant business and the hair cutting business will not be a good place to invest one's money after this mess is over.
I don't know about the haircutting business, but I suspect that Frank and I will be eating out more than ever once this is all over! We really miss going out to eat. I just hope that most restaurants survive the economic hit.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:43 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
For many years I cut my own hair to save money. Then I switched to Supercuts once I felt like I was doing better financially. I like not having to have an appointment, plus they are cheap, have a senior discount, and they do a reasonably good job with my wavy hair.

I had Supercuts give me the shortest haircut of my life last August, right before my knee surgery as part of my preparations for the surgery. This very short layered haircut was so short that it was essentially a "boy cut". It was very helpful to have extremely short hair after surgery since it required zero care while I was in the hospital and recovering. It took until maybe February to grow out.

Now it's getting a bit long and shaggy. But I am NOT going to cut it myself! That's a lot of work and takes me forever to do. Instead I am reverting to my 1960's "long haired hippie girl" appearance, and if that starts looking worse than it does now, then I can always tie it in a pony tail or something until I can go to Supercuts once again.
I also (normally) use Supercuts, for the reasons you cite. And that experience actually helped me to cut my own hair, in a funny way. The last two Supercuts haircuts I had before the lockdown were the worst two in my adult life. Same guy did both -- I guess I got the newbie. Anyway, they were so bad that I wound up having to do some trim work myself after both of them using scissors. Sooo, this helped me get over the hump and just clipper my own damn hair!
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote