Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-12-2020, 09:51 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Instead I am reverting to my 1960's "long haired hippie girl" appearance, and if that starts looking worse than it does now, then I can always tie it in a pony tail or something until I can go to Supercuts once again.
Groovy.

jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2020, 10:16 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
Groovy.
There you go!! Except my hair is pure white by now, and I don't wear a headband. But the haircut in the photo, and even her wavy hair, gives you the general idea. Photo from way back then, attached below. But right now, my hair is not quite long enough to touch my shoulders.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg me.jpg (24.5 KB, 314 views)
Old 04-12-2020, 10:36 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
So, besides learning to cook, people are learning to cut their own hair. It looks like the restaurant business and the hair cutting business will not be a good place to invest one's money after this mess is over. The next thing you know people will be making their own cars.

I think you may be right. I have never attempted to give myself a haircut in my entire life. But I was getting pretty shaggy so I went ahead and used a small trimmer that I had around and did a #3 cut all around, just like I do when I go to the barber shop. And you know what? It looks just as good as when the barber cuts my hair. So now Iím wondering why I wasted so much time over the years going to the shop.

And what I like even more is that I can just touch it up every few days and have that just cut look all the time. I used to wait until it was pretty bad looking before scheduling my next appointment.

So my days of going to the shop may be over.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 04:42 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
There you go!! Except my hair is pure white by now, and I don't wear a headband. But the haircut in the photo, and even her wavy hair, gives you the general idea. Photo from way back then, attached below. But right now, my hair is not quite long enough to touch my shoulders.
You were and are a beautiful lady.

"Ah, but I was so much older then I'm younger than that now."

Dylan (though I am sure most know that)
Old 04-12-2020, 06:26 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
You were and are a beautiful lady.

"Ah, but I was so much older then I'm younger than that now."

Dylan (though I am sure most know that)
Aw, thanks! And I loved Bob Dylan's songs back then, still do...
Old 04-12-2020, 06:29 PM   #46

Going to take the plunge tomorrow and ask DS1 to do mine. He has been cutting his for a few years. I tried to get DS2's GF to do it on Friday but for some reason she politely declined. She had done a nice job on DS2's hair.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 06:32 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Going to take the plunge tomorrow and ask DS1 to do mine. He has been cutting his for a few years. I tried to get DS2's GF to do it on Friday but for some reason she politely declined. She had done a nice job on DS2's hair.
Let's see, give future FIL a hair cut (and screw it up), or have another commitment. I go with door #2.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:02 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I look like crap and it's only going to get worse.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:55 PM   #49

Quote:
Let's see, give future FIL a hair cut (and screw it up), or have another commitment. I go with door #2.

Maybe she is just practicing good social distancing!
Old 04-12-2020, 09:06 PM   #50

In Orange County all gatherings of two or more people are prohibited other than people who are living together under the same household. So asking an extended family member to come over and cut your hair is pretty much out of the question.

So if you have a spouse/SO/roommate and you trust them to cut your hair that is fine. If you are single and living on your own, you pretty much have to cut your own hair or let it grow wild.

Of course I donít think they are going to put you in jail if you gather with someone outside of your immediate home. But really, why would you want to? If either of you are infected but asymptomatic you will risk cross contaminating both households.

Hardly seems worth it for a haircut.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:37 AM   #51

Well, I gave it a go with the Wahl #12 and #8. It actually looks OK in the mirror (at least as much as I ever do), but who knows what's going on in back. For all I know I'm rocking a Billy Ray Cyrus mullet back there now...
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 10:45 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
Well, I gave it a go with the Wahl #12 and #8. It actually looks OK in the mirror (at least as much as I ever do), but who knows what's going on in back. For all I know I'm rocking a Billy Ray Cyrus mullet back there now...
Just put a piece of masking tape on the back of your head where you want the neckline to be and run your clippers over the tape until you have a clean line below the tape. Works pretty well.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:21 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I look decent when I look at myself in the mirror it's just when a see a photo of myself when I wonder.....
Old 04-13-2020, 11:48 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post

Maybe she is just practicing good social distancing!

Yes I was thinking along the same line as CardsFan.

So let DS1 have a go at it and it actually looks pretty darn good. He did a long 4 all over then long and short 3 up the sides then finished low with a 2. Did a nice job on the neck. Some scissor work to finish it off.

I couldn't resist sending a picture to my barber who had offered to do a quick number 3 all over. I had messaged him to ask him if he was doing haircuts at home in a hazmat suit!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 12:28 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Robbie, get brave, Got a clippers shave it off! It is easy and fast and then there will be a new YOU. Lol
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 12:54 PM   #56
Dryer sheet aficionado

Love my hairstylist. When she’s back in business, I’m also giving her a $20 tip. I’ve also tried cutting my hair myself. All I can say is.... not good! Lol
CowgirlUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 01:13 PM   #57

Quote:
Robbie just use a 5/8 clipper comb all over. That is around the point most folks hair lays down. Ask your wife to do the neck hair. If you don't have a wife do it the best you can until covid is over.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 01:49 PM   #58

DH gave the whole household haircuts on April 1st. Used clippers on the boys to give them longish buzz cuts, used scissors on my hair (which is long - just need a straight across the bottom cut) and used the flowbee on himself.

The dog looked scared and hid in his crate. LOL
Old 04-13-2020, 02:03 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
The dog looked scared and hid in his crate. LOL
Ironically, our dog is the opposite. Tell her she is getting a clipping, and she runs to the basement and waits for it. I think she thinks she is getting a massage.

Taking her to basement for a bath is entirely the opposite.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:16 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Last year when I FIRE'ed I decided I would try cutting my own hair to save a little money and not have to take the extra time going to Hair Cuttery. I bought a Whal clipper kit and watch a few YouTube videos and have been cutting it ever since. Little did I know that I was building a skill I would need the following year! DW has to trim my neck, though. I cannot use the double mirror trick and I have tried many times!
NateW is offline   Reply With Quote