I cut my own hair today

Stormy Kromer

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I live in the woods miles from anything. I take our state's stay home order as serious as anyone. I haven't been out of here in about 3 weeks.

Trouble is I have hair that grows fast and need a haircut about every 4 weeks. It's been about 8. Today I got out a mirror and gave myself a trim. Not the best cut I've had, but I think I've paid for worse.

Next time I get a haircut I'm giving a $20 tip....those folks are worth it.

edit - sorry mods.... I meant this to be in the COVID forum

Last edited:
I need to cut my hair also. I trimmed the sides a little last week, but the top is out of control. I’ll attack the the top in the next few days.

But I’m not going to touch the back. A friend tried to cut his hair, and the back is uneven by about an inch.

So I’ll do the sides and top through this ordeal, and grow out a nice mullet.

I bought a Wahl trimmer before they were bought out. DW did an awesome job on my simple cut. I'm going to keep her.[emoji4]

I live in the woods miles from anything. I take our state's stay home order as serious as anyone. I haven't been out of here in about 3 weeks.

Trouble is I have hair that grows fast and need a haircut about every 4 weeks. It's been about 8. Today I got out a mirror and gave myself a trim. Not the best cut I've had, but I think I've paid for worse.

Next time I get a haircut I'm giving a $20 tip....those folks are worth it.

edit - sorry mods.... I meant this to be in the COVID forum

+1 on the tip. They will need the money after being out of work.

DW still wants to cut my hair, but has assured me she will not use the dog's trimmer.

I'll see in a week or so.

I bought a Wahl trimmer before they were bought out. DW did an awesome job on my simple cut. I'm going to keep her.[emoji4]

Same here. I usually get a “24” at the place where I always get my hair cut (#2 on the sides and #4 on top). DW decided to give me a “34”. It looks great. I think we’ll take the Wahl on our future RV trips (if we’re ever able to go out again) so I don’t have to search out a barber shop when we’re on the road.

Bought a Flowbee over 20 years ago - haven't been to a barber/stylist since. One of the best investments I ever made. Do it myself in about 10 minutes any time I feel like it. No mess, no cleanup, perfect every time.

Last edited:
I'm not going anywhere, and I still have full hair at age 67 so I'm just letting mine grow. I'll just look like an old hippie, but so what. However, I can see the merit of people just shaving their head and not messing with the clippers.

Barbershops are closed. Where am I supposed to get a blood letting to realign my humors?

My mom has bitched about (almost) literally every hair cut she's ever had. I think there was someone she liked for about 3 cuts around 1981 before we moved to the US, and none since.

I dropped off some groceries and masks for my parents this week. I'm like "um where did you get a haircut?" she's all "oh I did it myself" and hands down it's better than any of those she's complained about over the decades...

I have my hair cut very short, like a #3, so I don't have to worry about "hat head"...but DW isn't a fan, so I suggested this would be a good time for her to learn how to cut my hair. I wouldn't complain, and she could cut it just the way she likes it, and I would give her the $20 I always give the barber.

So far, it's a "no"...

Barbershops are closed. Where am I supposed to get a blood letting to realign my humors?
Before the plague I had a phlebotomy; 10/10 would recommend.

Good job on the first cut. I've been cutting my own hair for a couple years now, and I botched the first cut. Too short. It took me a while of playing with it, before I got it to how I like it. It's still kind of goofy-looking at times, but I'd rather do it this way than trek to the barber every month. That's why I cut my own hair -- it's not to save money, it's to save trouble.

I have my hair cut very short, like a #3, so I don't have to worry about "hat head"...but DW isn't a fan, so I suggested this would be a good time for her to learn how to cut my hair. I wouldn't complain, and she could cut it just the way she likes it, and I would give her the $20 I always give the barber.

So far, it's a "no"...

If you are just doing a #3 all over it’s easy to do it yourself. The only thing you would need DW to do is trim the neckline.

^ been doing mine for years now and I believe 5/8's is the attachment I use also. Every two weeks or so and is east and fast and a consistent look.

Back
Top Bottom