I did it! Opened A Vanguard Acct.

Outtahere

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I finally did it, I opened A Vanguard Account this morning. Why do I feel so nervous?

Outtahere said:
I finally did it, I opened A Vanguard Account this morning. Why do I feel so nervous?

Too much coffee maybe? ;) More likely is it just excitement from the knowledge you are taking the right step in managing your financial future.

Outtahere said:
Why do I feel so nervous?

'Cause you're a novice? ;) Nah, you're probably not--just a play on words...

I remember that when I first started investing outside of my employer-sponsored plans, I thought it was going to be a big hassle to open an account with Vanguard, but it wasn't hard at all.

Change is exciting, isn't it? As for me, I'm not much beyond novice-level investing knowledge. For stock investments, I try to stick with Vanguard index funds when I can.

Heh, last weekend as I was filing a huge stack of paper and throwing old old stuff I no longer need, I came across the receipt from the $5k deposit I made to open my first taxable account at Schwab in 1999. Come a long way since then.

flipstress said:
'Cause you're a novice? ;)

Yes I am a novice but everyone has to start somewhere right :)

Brewer, I was cleaning out files last weekend and found an old savings account passbook from 1989, it never went over $3000 but I remember feeling pretty lucky I had that much at the time. I have come a long way since then.

Outtahere said:
old savings account passbook from 1989
We have this conversation in our house all the time.

"Yo, Pops, what the heck is a passbook and why couldn't they carry their balance around in a debit card or look it up on the Internet? I'm really glad I was born after the 80s!!"

Tune in next week when I attempt to explain why they call it a "dial" tone...

Congratulations on taking the plunge :) I opened my Vanguard account in May 06, so I can relate. I was worried it'd be hard or confusing, but it was really easy.

Now I get to brave the taxes for the first time. Let's hope the good advice I got here of going with index funds works well!

Yo, Pops, what the heck is a passbook
not only do i remember having passbooks (afterall, they're not that ancient), but i also have a clear though distant memory of having an account at a bank where the teller would enter by hand (yes, pen and ink, no machine) the transactions.

Nords said:
We have this conversation in our house all the time.

"Yo, Pops, what the heck is a passbook and why couldn't they carry their balance around in a debit card or look it up on the Internet? I'm really glad I was born after the 80s!!"

Tune in next week when I attempt to explain why they call it a "dial" tone...

Better stay away from "rotary dial" discussions, or what was a "party line"............ ;)

brewer12345 said:
Heh, last weekend as I was filing a huge stack of paper and throwing old old stuff I no longer need, I came across the receipt from the $5k deposit I made to open my first taxable account at Schwab in 1999. Come a long way since then.

Thats funny, I just did nearly the same thing. We're starting to pack for our move and I found my application and check for my first self directed investments at schwab.

The year was 1993, I was 15, and it was $3,000 split between Twentieth century Ultra, and Janus Enterprise fund.

saluki9 said:
The year was 1993, I was 15, and it was $3,000 split between Twentieth century Ultra, and Janus Enterprise fund.

Hope you don't still have the Ultra account! :)

Back
Top Bottom