Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-23-2015, 05:28 PM   #101
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
12 year old tires in the SW US are ripe for a blowout. Six or seven years is as far as I will push it, but we put a lot of miles on our vehicles so I usually wear them out before they age out.

+1. I just changed 6 year old tires with only 16K miles on them. Come to think of it, the idea probably came from one of your posts. I did not want to risk a blowout on our next road trip since our car has no spare tire and we will be in pretty isolated areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2015, 06:00 PM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Speaking of tires, I need to replace mine.

Was going to order from Tirerack.com.

anyone ever order from them and have them installed at a local shop?
Yes, I've done that a couple of times with no issue.
jimbee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:30 PM   #103

I live in SoCal, drive a G35S for which I spent just under $40k and which I've had now eight years and has been paid off for seven of those. Am I so much more "hat" than someone who's bought or leased two Subaru Outbacks or Toyota Camrys in that time frame?

I don't think so.

I bought a nice car (not exotic, but certainly luxury) which I intend to drive from 150,000 or more miles. Yes, I could've saved $10-15k and bought the Nissan Altima, but I didn't. Point is, I'd rather buy something I really like and keep it for 10-12-15 years than buy something that bores me and tempts me to go get something new in 5 or 7.

To each their own, but it seems awfully shallow to judge people because of where they live and what they drive. You have no idea what their means and priorities are. Not everyone driving a "prestige" brand in southern California is deep in debt with no means to retire but already planning their next plastic surgery.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:34 PM   #104
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
+1. I just changed 6 year old tires with only 16K miles on them. Come to think of it, the idea probably came from one of your posts. I did not want to risk a blowout on our next road trip since our car has no spare tire and we will be in pretty isolated areas.

I'd be buying 5 new tires, a plug kit and a 12v compressor in that case.
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:40 PM   #105
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
I'd be buying 5 new tires, a plug kit and a 12v compressor in that case.
There is no space in the car for a 5th tire (small sports car). We have a 12V compressor and 2 cans of Fix-a-Flat.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:50 PM   #106
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
rented a bmw 528i xdrive in Denver a few weeks ago; nice ride

Dunno if it's worth $50-60K tho. I like my turbo forester better.

Yeah I think the 5-series only gets good starting with the 535i. They've got to have at least 300hp and all the sports equipment, in my book. Otherwise, undriveable!

Bert Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:54 PM   #107
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:

I've been using them for years. Not always a better deal than local, but a way wider selection of brands and sizes. I always seem to end up needing sizes or matched pairs that the locals don't stock. It's worked out well.

Bert Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:59 PM   #108
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
If you think SD is bad try Dallas - the land of the $80,000 millionaires

(it used to be $50,000 back in the mid 90s but I adjusted for inflation)
I've heard of $30,000 millionaires.
Six Reasons You're a $30,000 Millionaire in Dallas and Should Prove it on Television | Dallas Observer
Old 06-24-2015, 11:27 AM   #109
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
To each their own, but it seems awfully shallow to judge people because of where they live and what they drive. You have no idea what their means and priorities are. Not everyone driving a "prestige" brand in southern California is deep in debt with no means to retire but already planning their next plastic surgery.
I remember a wise expression (don't remember the source):

"what other people think of you is none of your business."

Variously attributed to
Deepak Chopra
Wayne Dyer
Paul Coelho
Unknown
Old 06-24-2015, 12:15 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Can't see enough detail to say year for sure, but that style is 73-87.
I think that's a 1973 to, for lack of a better term, 1981.5. GM gave these trucks a slight re-skin midway through the model year in 1981, which lowered the front just a bit, leading to a more sloping hood.

But, I can't narrow it down any further than that. If we could see the grille, it would be easier to narrow it down to at least within a couple years. By that time, I think the annual styling changes were becoming a thing of the past, so sometimes they'd use the same grille a few years in a row.

And yeah, My guess would be a 3/4 ton series, as I don't think a 1/2 ton would really be beefy enough to handle a truck camper. So technically, it would be a C20 Cheyenne or something like that?
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:24 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

A 1/2 ton PU is good for perhaps just a camper shell. A truck camper with water tanks and a bathroom may weigh as much as 2500 lbs. Dry weight too! So, to be sure I would get a dually.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:04 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post

Well said. I totally agree and stated so earlier. I guess it makes people feel better if they think all those that buy nice things can't afford it.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:07 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Cooper View Post
Yeah I think the 5-series only gets good starting with the 535i. They've got to have at least 300hp and all the sports equipment, in my book. Otherwise, undriveable!

Probably right although "undriveable" might be a little strong. My M5 rides nicely with 560 understated HP
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:37 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango1956 View Post
I thought this pic of my dad with his truck and camper was remarkably similar to yours! Can you or anyone tell me the year and model of the truck in my pic?
Looks like a 79 C10, I had a 79 K20 for about 18 years. The 3/4 ton trucks had eight lug wheels, that one looks like six lug. K series were 4x4 the C series was 2 wheel drive. The front hub does not look like a locking hub. In those days the front axles had to manually locked to be 4 wheel drive. the transfer case had its own shifter. Also the tires are not typical of 4X4 tires.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:20 PM   #115
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I have, worked just like advertised. Tires were shipped directly to the shop, I was notified the tires had arrived, made arrangements to get them installed. No hidden fees.
prudent_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:16 AM   #116
Dryer sheet aficionado

I've lived in Southern California most of my life. Many believe that the appearance of success is the affirmation of success. The cars are leased, the homes are purchased with a minimal down payment and both spouses work. They carry high charge card balances, have little money saved and live on the edge. When one spouse loses a job the house of cards collapses. Google Lenny Dykstra, the poster child of Southern California conspicuous consumption in my area. He reportedly had $50k in assets and $10-$50 M in liabilities before losing his $17m house and chain of car washes. I'm most concerned for the youth who are raised in this crazy environment where high school kids drive new BMWs and vacation across the globe with their highly in-debt parents. What an lesson they teach!
Avocadorunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:31 AM   #117
Recycles dryer sheets

Life is a game and the person who dies with the most toys and has the most debt at time of death wins.
FIREd_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:42 AM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Car prices are the same wherever one lives. I think some Californians may put money into cars because homes are just too expensive to buy. That's where it takes real money and one can show his success in life. I happened to see this realtor's sales pitch for a home in the metro LA area. It reads

Be the envy of your friends in this immaculate home in the prestigious gated community of Tapestry! Imagine your friend's faces when the gate swings open to your gorgeous community. Premium lot with extra long driveway and no neighbors behind, which afford extreme privacy....

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:48 AM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudent_one View Post
I have, worked just like advertised. Tires were shipped directly to the shop, I was notified the tires had arrived, made arrangements to get them installed. No hidden fees.
Another + for tirerack and going to a shop they partner with.

Best selection, their warehouse is in neighboring Indiana (several across the country, and you can pick), so tires come in 2-3 days IIRC. Their on-line selection 'wizard' actually works amazingly well. Once I contacted them with a question, as I was trying to buy a pair identical to the pair on the car, and it kept pushing me to something else with identical specs. The guy on the phone (or maybe email?) verified the new ones were just a name change of the same tire.

I know someone with a fleet of trucks in their business - they get everything through tirerack.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:54 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Car prices are the same wherever one lives. I think some Californians may put money into cars because homes are just too expensive to buy. That's where it takes real money and one can show his success in life. I happened to see this realtor's sales pitch for a home in the metro LA area. It reads

Be the envy of your friends in this immaculate home in the prestigious gated community of Tapestry! Imagine your friend's faces when the gate swings open to your gorgeous community. Premium lot with extra long driveway and no neighbors behind, which afford extreme privacy....
For some reason, that made me think of a line from "Three's Company", where the Ropers were planning on selling the apartment building and moving to Cheviot Hills.

"Cheviot Hills, Stanley! Doesn't that sound LOVELY?"
Mrs. Roper caterwauls.

Mr. Roper responds with "Yeah, and so does dysentery, until you know what it means."
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote