Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-02-2022, 04:17 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
We looked into a CCRC. They pushed pretty hard to get "on the list." In the mean time, we find that we would no longer qualify due to health reasons. SO, if you plan on a CCRC, you probably need to pull the trigger sooner than later. YMMV
Yes, you have to be in very good shape both mentally and physically to qualify to get in most CCRCs. They want people who are able to live independently for a number of years. As for the "pushy" part I guess that depends on whether they have vacancies to fill. The one we are moving into is not pushy at all. They don't have to be --they have a very long wait list.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2022, 04:26 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Yes, you have to be in very good shape both mentally and physically to qualify to get in most CCRCs. They want people who are able to live independently for a number of years. As for the "pushy" part I guess that depends on whether they have vacancies to fill. The one we are moving into is not pushy at all. They don't have to be --they have a very long wait list.
Both of the ones we looked at had waiting lists and we were strongly encouraged to get on the lists. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 04:52 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Both of the ones we looked at had waiting lists and we were strongly encouraged to get on the lists. YMMV
Yes, the one thing about waiting lists is the people who rely on the steady stream of income want that is to stay long at all times.
Old 08-02-2022, 05:55 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Single ....+1 on having pension and SS income as part of the LTC plan.
Ditto.
gayl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 11:26 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothlev View Post
I thought once you started using the policy you no long paid the premiums?
Apparently not!
TheWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 09:43 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
DH and I are self insuring but we are moving into a CCRC (Continuing Care Community) soon that is part of our Long Term Care plan. The CCRC we have chosen is the Type A "Life Care" kind. You pay a fairly high entrance fee and a monthly fee. The monthly fee does not go up when you move from independent living to assisted living, skilled nursing or memory care. So there is no need for LTC insurance. To get in the CCRC you have to be able live independently and pass physical and cognitive tests. We are in our early 70s and we plan to move in next Spring. The place we are moving to has a long waiting list. We have been on the waiting list for a about 10 years and are now at the top of the list.
Just be aware there's no guarantee you'll be getting skilled care actually at the CCRC.

Here the CCRC where my grandparents lived for 20 years tore down their existing SNF unit & rebuilt it with all private rooms, which cut the capacity in half.

Meanwhile the CCRC also built a multi-story building for independent/assisted living apartments, adding at least another 100 units feeding into that SNF.

So whenever the SNF fills up the next CCRC resident who needs skilled care gets farmed out to one of the stand-alone nursing homes here locally.

And those have most residents on Medicaid which biases care standards for everyone there...downwards.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 09:53 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Just be aware there's no guarantee you'll be getting skilled care actually at the CCRC.

Here the CCRC where my grandparents lived for 20 years tore down their existing SNF unit & rebuilt it with all private rooms, which cut the capacity in half.

Meanwhile the CCRC also built a multi-story building for independent/assisted living apartments, adding at least another 100 units feeding into that SNF.

So whenever the SNF fills up the next CCRC resident who needs skilled care gets farmed out to one of the stand-alone nursing homes here locally.

And those have nearly every resident on Medicaid which biases care standards for everyone there...downwards.
When I toured a CCRC here on the mainland, we were only allowed to stick our heads in the skilled-care area. It appeared to have a total of 12 or so beds. They were all full and not one of the people was awake/aware at 1:00 in the afternoon. There were no staff visible though I assume there was an office area.

It was a warehouse for those still living but just barely. The CCRC had hundreds of residents, so I'm guessing lots of skilled-care had been farmed out. NOT where I would want to end my days, but I guess many of us will have little choice in such matters. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 11:03 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post

And those have most residents on Medicaid which biases care standards for everyone there...downwards.
I am sure that can happen but the CCRC we are moving to has a very nice skilled nursing facility, i have been through it several times. It has many beds and right now is 50% full. No Medicaid is taken. The contract at our CCRC (Plan A Life Care) provides that if there is no skilled, memory or assisted living room available when a resident needs it, then the CCRC must find the resident an equivalent place and pay for it until a place at the CCRC opens up. There are no guarantees but I have reviewed this CCRC carefully and feel good about it. It is the best one in our area.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote