Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-12-2020, 11:20 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I spent virtually no time at work chatting about anything; there was no downtime, working in a medical practice and the hospital. I find this Forum, and occasionally Bogleheads, all I need for advice and guidance.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2020, 11:25 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't talk about finances outside of my house unless the other party starts the financial conversations.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:53 AM   #23

Early in my career, we had a good, convivial group whose topics were wide-ranging. One kindly, older gent turned me on to simple, boring index-fund investing. (This was during the feeding frenzy leading up to the dot-bomb.) I am forever grateful to him for making me aware of that, as well as some other wisdom regarding ways through the shark-infested waters.

Sadly, the present group at w*rk is dysfunctional, so there is no one I wish to talk to. Part of the reason I am outta there soon.
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 12:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
I don't talk about finances outside of my house unless the other party starts the financial conversations.
me neither. It never comes up. And almost never did my whole working career.
jebmke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:42 PM   #25

Here is one thought. See if you can start an investment book club with a few friends. Don’t go directly at the personal financial discussions. Perhaps that will evolve into what you are looking for.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:53 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Another engineer here. We had very lively stock trading discussions at work especially during the dot-com era from around '97. The speculation was rampant and a blast simply because we were making a lot of money.

Not so nice when things burst. I really haven't thought much about investments in several years just letting things ride. I find the present markets irrational and uninteresting. Could just be an age thing?
Beststash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:48 PM   #27

I wish I could help, but I can't. This is the only place I've found where I can discuss (actually, listen more than talk) about fiscal matters.

I thought when I retired "early" at 58, a few of our friends or family would ask how we did it, but alas, in the 3 years I've been retired, that has never happened. To the contrary, I've only heard that we were "lucky" and they figure they "never be able to retire".
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 12:14 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I never discussed finances with anyone at work, except the 401K. And that I was going to retire. Which they thought amazing.

Ahhh, retirement -
Old 11-13-2020, 05:44 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I only ever talked to folks at w*rk about very specific topics that might have come up. Naturally, we were all very interested in our 401(k)'s so that was discussed often. Since our Megacorp stock was a major portion of most of our plans, it was a favorite topic. For most of my career, our plan did not allow for switching out company stock for other plan options.

I just never felt comfortable discussing most specifics of my situation with co-workers but YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 05:59 AM   #30

OP-
If you're geographically close to where you used to work, then call up your former work mates and invite them to lunch.

A group of retirees from my former mega corp get together monthly for lunch (or used to before the pandemic...)
Old 11-13-2020, 08:38 AM   #31

Throughout my years in academia I had no one that I could talk to or who might even be interested. I searched through a number of sources for a few years (magazines, news letters, etc.) trying to understand what would be reasonable investment strategies for me. Then a little over 12 years ago I found this forum and began reading posts from previous years. That kept me busy for months but it also gave me an idea of those members in which I could have the most confidence.

There is much I still don't understand when posts get too technical but that is alright. I have absorbed enough over those years along with a frugal lifestyle to establish a retirement portfolio that will last me and my wife for the rest of our lives and maybe her 2 grown children if they will listen to my suggestions when we are gone.
I just wish Dad were still alive to see that I did pay attention to his example. Although I never made a lot of money he always told me that it was going to be alright. He would have been the one person I would like to talk to about finances.
Thanks for all the members here for the discussions.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:40 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Red,

Boggleheads has local Chapters that meet periodically. Suggest you check into that and if one is near your location.

As soon as we get retired in 1st Qtr 21 we are planning to attend the meetings in The Woodlands.

We're looking forward to being able to listen to the Topics and to the discussions.

gamboolman....
gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:36 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I would try to reconnect with my old engineering colleagues if I were in OPís position. I had more informative conversations with engineering colleagues before I transferred to a sales oriented group. The sales guys were more focused on hot stocks. The engineers just love to discuss, debate, and argue. I just learned that many of those engineers are having a years long email battle over the merits of helical gearing.

Besides this group I have one former colleague that I can talk to about finances. Weíve never shared AUM, though.
You clearly know engineers well. My wife says I argue too much. I tell her I'm simply discussing.
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:57 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

When the coronavirus pandemic is past you might think about attending the bogleheads conference or something similar. You will meet plenty of people to discuss finances with and a few of them might even live near you.
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 10:27 AM   #35

I had one colleague at work that I discussed finances with in calm moments, often in the middle of the night, and we sometimes went out together to the 'free' dinners that would get held at nice restaurants for the entertainment value. I was was on Bogleheads relatively early and was a self-directed indexer so most of my colleagues who did want to talk wanted to discuss their latest stock triumph or about their latest golf outing with their advisor. Neither topic held much interest for me. Other than Bogleheads and its Canadian equivalent (FWF), we were fortunate to have an industrious colleague start a profession specific forum some years ago. These days I also volunteer with our university programme's financial literacy course.

I think it is hard to find people to talk finance with generally so I am thankful for the forums. I have also noted personally that I have much less interest in finances since retiring. Everything is on cruise control and there seems not much to do. We don't even invest in our main tax deferred vehicle any more because it doesn't make sense. The up market has probably made me less interested and my investing style is boring by its nature.
6miths is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:46 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I participate in the Financial Wisdom Forum (Canada's Bogleheads) and got some really good ideas which I have implemented with my spin. I disagree with many their strategies because I have already progressed beyong them.

But most of my friends in real life "have a guy" and don't want to talk about MERs and AUMs.

I participate in some of the surveys here but not to share investment approachs.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:04 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Iíve done very well on the earnings and LBYMís over the years. Iím not comfortable confiding in any family or friends on real details due to risk of sharing too much and causing mixed feelings. Thus, forums like this are best for me to mostly learn and occasionally try to share something useful. I agree there is a personal void.
WhenIsItTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 01:18 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
PS. The most nutty one even believed in "black helicopters".
Another verdomde ingenieur here.
SOME black helicopters are real. Homeland Security flies them over my house at low level all the time. ( I live close to the border with Canadistan.)

I keep my wife up to date with our situation but it is pretty much on autopilot now.
I have gingerly tried to educate our grow kids with some success. It ain't rocket science, as it took me ages to learn.
My friends are all set themselves and nobody really wants to talk investing anymore. It is just as well
Old 11-13-2020, 01:22 PM   #39

I had a couple of work friends that were on the same page as me but most of my coworkers had plans that were down right nutty at best. Luckily they mostly took the pension monthly payment plan so aren't stuck eating cat food. So I don't miss discussing finance there too much.
I have one sister that is educating herself and has a good plan that I discuss tactics with and a daughter in the financial field that is a great resource for me.
Mostly its you folks here though.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:43 PM   #40

I learned early in my Megacorp career the pitfalls of talking finances in any meaningful detail. People are more likely to get jealous or upset than anything else.

Several times folks asked my opinion, but were not happy with my response - they were hoping for an "instant magic wand" vs. the "patient long term approach".

I do talk finances with my siblings. Our parents did a good job blocking the "sibling jealously" gene . We are all very independent, and for the most part have done well in the fields we chose. One brother did dig a deep financial house that cost him his house and marriage, but he took responsibility for his choices and has recovered financially to a more modest lifestyle. Two other siblings like me are FIREd, one could (doctor and wife is a doctor) but enjoys his work and, with a son in medical school, hopes to practice medicine with that son someday, and two others still have children in high school and college but have good plans in place.