Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-21-2008, 07:03 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sorry, still no dog in this fight, but don't Vanguard breakpoints start at $0?
Gone4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2008, 07:05 PM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Yep, but the bastards dont start writing you checks at the $100k point like American does to its financial representatives.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:03 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Are you really sure you want me to get some of this on you?
Hey, you're the one quoting 5.75% on everything, which is inaccurate..........

Quote:
But the numbers they stated dont jibe with other sources for s&p500 returns. Which isnt the index I'd compare many of these funds with anyhow.
It's not like you can fake a prospectus...... Basically, Fido has a trillion dollars, American has a trillion dollars, and Vanguard has a trillion dollars in assets. In your eyes, there must be a lot of idiots out there for American to have a trillion dollars in assets..........American Funds are not designed to "beat in index", never have. I would discuss on, but you aren't willing to have a logical discussion, so I will move on..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:05 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go View Post
Sorry, still no dog in this fight, but don't Vanguard breakpoints start at $0?
I can duplicate an index fund with ETFs for less than what Vanguard charges for annual expenses, but that's another thread.......

Old 09-21-2008, 08:21 PM   #85
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhamo View Post
The general advice I remember getting was that once you had paid the fees upfront, American Funds performance was generally pretty good so no need move things around.

Thank you cfb, for the detailed analysis. I will be reconsidering my options.

lhamo
I think that is still the case but that just because they are good funds doesn't mean they will consistently beat the indexes.

Many years ago I had both some pre-tax and after-tax money at American but I ended up rolling it all over to Vanguard because I wasn't willing to put any new money into it and incur a load and it was a pain keeping track of many small accounts.

MB
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:21 PM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

Is it standard practice for investors to pay the full load price when working with an adviser? I honestly don't know, but I assumed that the 5.75% front end load was just the sticker price (e.g., the adviser could return the fees to the client based on whatever fee structure was put in place between the client and adviser). Am I way off base here?
slouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:44 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slouch View Post
Is it standard practice for investors to pay the full load price when working with an adviser? I honestly don't know, but I assumed that the 5.75% front end load was just the sticker price (e.g., the adviser could return the fees to the client based on whatever fee structure was put in place between the client and adviser). Am I way off base here?
There are different fee structures and share classes. However, a discussion of those won't happen on here..........

Old 09-21-2008, 09:53 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Oh, I'm sorry, apparently you DO want some on you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Hey, you're the one quoting 5.75% on everything, which is inaccurate..........
I'm sorry, I thought I just acknowledged otherwise. My bad. I said "If you want to throw massive amounts of money at funds that dont make as much money as cheap indexes, they wont sucker you for quite as much of a front end load"

Is that easier to read?

Quote:
It's not like you can fake a prospectus......
No, but you can pick your start and end dates judiciously, and decide what you do and dont include for costs and returns. That seems to be what happened. How unusual for an expensive fund full of front end loads to do some chicanery to get people to buy in!

Otherwise, go analyze what the #1 finance site did wrong and report back to us.

Quote:
American Funds are not designed to "beat in index", never have.
Thats a good thing. Because it appears that they dont. And with 5 minutes of 'work' on shaping a portfolio, which I'm most pleased to offer for way less than 5.75%, you can thoroughly beat these funds and not be a sucker.

Quote:
I would discuss on, but you aren't willing to have a logical discussion
Tell me where you got that? I offered some charts from a major financial web site, gave my opinion, and one proponent said he had "some books" that said otherwise, while you cut and ran. Offer me a logical discussion and I'll be glad to engage it. Point me at data, offer me facts. So far what I see is that American funds charge too much, return too little, and stray substantially from their investment targets.

Do note though that I have ten thousand notebooks full of why actively managed funds fail, and while I've been fairly nice about it up to this point, will gladly post those ad nauseum.

Quote:
so I will move on.
You were smart in the first place to divorce yourself from this loser of a discussion. I'm truly sorry you changed your mind.

For the rest of us, American funds underperform. Their primary proponent is a salesman who offers lame platitudes and then declares victory in the absence of confirming data. Their secondary proponent suggests that if you throw enough money at them, they wont soak you as badly on the entry to the poorly returning funds that he makes a ton of money from on referrals, and then suggests that you accept his livelihood without any supporting data because "he's done".
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:11 PM   #89
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm glad you're here CFB, it'll be interesting to see what they have to say about your info.

I paid these crazy commissions for many years with Oppenheimer as my advisor saw fit to line his pockets. Hey, buyer beware, I'm just glad I woke up though a bit late.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:20 AM   #90

Quote:
I can duplicate an index fund with ETFs for less than what Vanguard charges for annual expenses, but that's another thread.......
I started to do that but I found that the ETFs for some of the subsets frequently traded with high bid/ask spreads. They also would go through periods of relative inactivity. It seemed only the hot ETFs would have a high volume and close spreads. For SPY that is always true. For the others, it depends.

FA industry exists because for two reasons. There's one group of people that find all this investment and finance stuff "too complicated" and they "need" help rather than learn to do it themselves. The other reason is that people believe (because they want to despite the studies showing it doesn't) that a "professional" can get a higher return than a diversified portfolio of index funds.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:30 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I'm glad you're here CFB, it'll be interesting to see what they have to say about your info.

I paid these crazy commissions for many years with Oppenheimer as my advisor saw fit to line his pockets. Hey, buyer beware, I'm just glad I woke up though a bit late.
Oppenheimer's expense ratios are double or more than American.......

Old 09-22-2008, 07:31 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

CFB is not looking for a discussion, but a fight...........

Old 09-22-2008, 07:55 AM   #93

Thanks for the reminder on Oppenheimer, another one of the stupid things I did in my life.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:56 AM   #94

Quote:
CFB is not looking for a discussion, but a fight...........
Maybe, but he seems to have his ducks in a row, no.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:07 AM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Maybe, but he seems to have his ducks in a row, no.
Well, he did compare the American Funds to the Vanguard TOTAL MARKET INDEX, and then complained that the American Funds compare themselves to the S&P 500? Morningstar and their brethren set up their software to have the S&P 500 Index as the "benchmark", so how is that American's or anyone else's fault?

There is no real pure index to compare American's portfolios to. They use a multicap strategy with a value bent. Their goal is not to beat the index, which should mean they should be out of business in the eyes of many on here, but they're not........

All I know is I have been invested in them for 15 years, have made plenty of money, and know I'm taking less risk than full market risk to do so. I have yet to have ONE client leave American to go somewhere else, Vanguard or otherwise. Mutual funds are a very small part of my business.......

Rant on.......

Old 09-22-2008, 08:08 AM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for the reminder on Oppenheimer, another one of the stupid things I did in my life.
Don't feel bad. Oppenhiemer had some real "whiz kids" for a while, with big returns. Unfortunately to go with those returns, the managers in their value funds were buying stuff like Tyco and CMGI........

Old 09-22-2008, 08:46 AM   #97
Moderator Emeritus

But FD, your clients choosing not to leave American Funds is not the same as documentation that those funds have outperformed corresponding index funds, which is what CFB is asking from you. That people choose to use FAs rather than manage their own finances is not the same as documentation.

IMO your profession is important for people who do not want to manage their own finances. I bet if asked to, you could explain to those people about how they could save $$ by not having a FA, and their eyes would glaze over and they would go to the next FA because they just don't want to do the work involved. They are paying you to do that work and I imagine (I don't know how you're compensated) the funds are paying you a commission too. Hey, good for you, no problem from me with that, it's just business.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:53 AM   #98

I would think that another good reason why American funds are still in business is because of brokers sending their clients money to them. A steady infusion of $ never hurts.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:01 AM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
But FD, your clients choosing not to leave American Funds is not the same as documentation that those funds have outperformed corresponding index funds, which is what CFB is asking from you. That people choose to use FAs rather than manage their own finances is not the same as documentation.
I have never stated that American Funds outperform the index funds. What is irrefutable is that the risk they take is less than owning the entire market.......

Quote:
IMO your profession is important for people who do not want to manage their own finances. I bet if asked to, you could explain to those people about how they could save $$ by not having a FA, and their eyes would glaze over and they would go to the next FA because they just don't want to do the work involved. They are paying you to do that work and I imagine (I don't know how you're compensated) the funds are paying you a commission too. Hey, good for you, no problem from me with that, it's just business.
Like I said when I joined this forum over two years ago,I'm not on here to get new clients..........

I work on a fee basis, and buy and sell ETF's and stocks for my clients. I have very little mutual fund business...........

Old 09-22-2008, 09:03 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I would think that another good reason why American funds are still in business is because of brokers sending their clients money to them. A steady infusion of $ never hurts.
Huge business in 401Ks is the real reason........