I need help - too frugal

I lived without one here for more than 25 years (work had A/C). Being home all day necessitated one and my neighbor gave me a hand-me-down.

Don't have A/C in car either.

I don't like A/C, but I really don't like 85 and humid. If the humidity is low, I'm comfortable into the upper 80s with a floor fan.

And why do people feel they have to keep it so cold?:cool:
You are correct, its the humidity not the heat !

We lived with 3 medium sized window A/C units in the bedrooms of our tri-level. I always joked that there was going to be a storm on the main level because the "thermal inversion" we had with cool bedrooms upstairs and a warm family room below. Plus everytime my daughter would use her hair dyer in the bathroom, we blew a fuse (yes, fuse ! They work, why change to breakers ?)

Now I'm going completely in the other direction !

Get central air conditioning !

Here are some reasons
  1. One window A/C unit will never be able to keep the humidity down for your whole house and that IS the goal !
  2. Central A/C is more efficient (higher SEER)
  3. you will be adding value to your property !
  4. you will get a new high efficiency furnace and save money in winter also !

In most cities, you can sign up for "service interruption" with central air and buy your electricity at a lower rate. (Service interruption means you are willing to let the power company turn off you A/C for 20-30 minute in a given hour. This helps them with peak loading.) In my case (SE MI), I couldn't believe what a difference in comfort level with the lower humidity through out the house and I believe or electric bills were lower !

The bad news is, you should have had this done in March or April, when the HVAC people are not busy. You can always get a better price then !

Get central air conditioning !
Here are some reasons
  1. One window A/C unit will never be able to keep the humidity down for your whole house and that IS the goal !
  2. Central A/C is more efficient (higher SEER)
  3. you will be adding value to your property !
  4. you will get a new high efficiency furnace and save money in winter also !
In most cities, you can sign up for "service interruption" with central air and buy your electricity at a lower rate. (Service interruption means you are willing to let the power company turn off you A/C for 20-30 minute in a given hour. This helps them with peak loading.) In my case (SE MI), I couldn't believe what a difference in comfort level with the lower humidity through out the house and I believe or electric bills were lower !

The bad news is, you should have had this done in March or April, when the HVAC people are not busy. You can always get a better price then !
1) The ancient window A/C adequately removed the humidity for the 600sf main floor.

2) Not if I don't need it.

3) House isn't worth ^&*(.

4) Have hot water heat.

Why do people have to have it so cold?

....... HOT FLASHES ......>:D :)

Because I like it chilly!

Maybe its because i'm from new england, where except for one 20 minute period in july, its cold all the dang time!

1) The ancient window A/C adequately removed the humidity for the 600sf main floor.

2) Not if I don't need it.

3) House isn't worth ^&*(.

4) Have hot water heat.
You might consider a split A/C system. Works well with hot water heat, but more expensive than windows unit. I believe it is more cost effective to run.

Besides,who is going to remove those window units in fall and re-install them in spring when your 70 or 80 years old ?

The July issue of Consumer Reports rates window A/C's. Their picks for best buys are:

- Frigidare FAA067P7A, 6000 BTU, 10.7 EER, $150
- GE ASM05LK, 5250 BTU, 10.7 EER, $180
- Kenmore 76081, 8000 BTU, 10.8 EER, $200
- Haier ESA3105, 10000 BTU, 10.8 EER, $250
- Frigidaire FAC107PIA, 10000 BTU, 10.8 EER, $240

Back
Top Bottom