I need Vanguard fund suggestions..

bbbamI

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm rolling over my IRA to Vanguard's...psssst...Wellesley fund.

I'm considering sweeping the dividends into another fund that will be considered a cash account. It will be six and a half years before I will make any withdrawals. Any suggestions on conservative funds?

Thanks...

With 6.5 years to go, I would probably just reinvest in Wellesley and revisit the decision in 3 or 4 years.

If you want a "cash account", then you might want to hold your nose and use one of Vanguard's money market funds that currently pay nada. But, personally, I think Wellesley is conservative enough that I would reinvest the dividends and let them compound over the next 6.5 years.

On another note I am wondering if I invest 50000 bucks in the Wellesley fund should I do it through my current broker or sign up for Vanguard account? Any pluses or minuses to either approach? I may even want to go with 100K.

On another note I am wondering if I invest 50000 bucks in the Wellesley fund should I do it through my current broker or sign up for Vanguard account? Any pluses or minuses to either approach? I may even want to go with 100K.

Your current broker will likely charge a commission to do so.

I'm considering sweeping the dividends into another fund that will be considered a cash account. It will be six and a half years before I will make any withdrawals. Any suggestions on conservative funds?
One option would be PenFed's five-year CDs, considering that if interest rates rise swiftly then you could "upgrade" to a new CD at the new higher rate. PenFed used to do this without penalties in IRAs, but even a 12-month penalty might be paid back by the higher rate. This CD option would give you the flexibility to let the money ride (if you don't actually need to make a withdrawal) or break into it if necessary (not too much of a penalty, especially for CDs in smaller amounts).

Another option if you don't actually need to make a withdrawal after six-seven years would be to stick to shorter-term CDs (one year? two years?) and let the cash pile up. You'll undoubtedly have a buying opportunity in an equity or bond fund during the next five years into which you could sink all of that cash. The caveat is that you might need another 5-10 years before this vulture approach pays off.

I let dividends/contributions pile up in our IRA accounts (which are otherwise invested in equities) and buy when the equity price dips below its long-term average. It sometimes takes 2-3 years of patience.

Thank you all for the excellent advice. :flowers:

Seems I've got a bit of ponderin' to do....

Back
Top Bottom