Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I received an offer from Carvana.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:54 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
SmallCityDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 287
I received an offer from Carvana.

Six months ago I bought a new car (not my brightest move) but I thought I did okay, I normally buy cars with 100k miles drive them for 5-6 years and I normally do well.



Two weeks ago I get an email from Carvana they want to buy my car I put in my information they offer me $3500 less than what I paid (OTD price) keep in mind I paid $2500 in taxes and insurance, I'm not interested but intrigued. Yesterday just for fun I go back to their website they offer $500 more.... I tried Vroom they offer $500 more than Carvana so if I sell all I lose is the taxes and registration.



The sale of this car doesn't move the needle for me but what a crazy world we live in, I can drive this car for 6 months and "only" pay taxes and registration.
__________________
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least.
SmallCityDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2021, 08:02 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 264
How bad do you need the car? If not bad enough just sale it.
HF63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:02 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
38Chevy454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 2,982
The used car and especially truck market is crazy right now. Your story is evidence of that.
__________________
The advice we're giving you is invaluable, that's why it's free
Experience is a good teacher, but the tuition can get expensive real fast

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:26 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ExFlyBoy5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Country Living
Posts: 4,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
The used car and especially truck market is crazy right now. Your story is evidence of that.
It is very crazy. I saw a newspaper article yesterday about a local dealership that has an inventory shortage due to production delays (chip shortage) and how they can't keep used cars around.

As I have mentioned before, I sold an F-150 that I had for about a year to Carvana and they paid me more than I paid for it. I thought that was crazy, but...

I bought an Accord about 6 months ago (2012 model) and KBB shows that the trade in value is a little more than I paid for it and the private party value is about $2500 more than I paid. So yes, the car market is all sorts of screwed up right now.
__________________
Retired in 2014 at the Ripe Age of 40
ExFlyBoy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:31 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
SmallCityDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
It is very crazy. I saw a newspaper article yesterday about a local dealership that has an inventory shortage due to production delays (chip shortage) and how they can't keep used cars around.

As I have mentioned before, I sold an F-150 that I had for about a year to Carvana and they paid me more than I paid for it. I thought that was crazy, but...

I bought an Accord about 6 months ago (2012 model) and KBB shows that the trade in value is a little more than I paid for it and the private party value is about $2500 more than I paid. So yes, the car market is all sorts of screwed up right now.

Can you tell me more about that?
__________________
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least.
SmallCityDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:38 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets
teetee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 302
The type of vehicle matters.
teetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:41 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: North TX
Posts: 688
DW got an offer $1k over the $19,086 she paid (tt&l) for a 2018 Avalon... 2 years ago! I'd try selling it before Carvana's offer.
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:46 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ExFlyBoy5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Country Living
Posts: 4,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallCityDave View Post
Can you tell me more about that?
Here is the gist of it:

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ml#post2478779

Another post I mentioned that about a week after the initial offer, the emailed again upping the offer by about $500 if I recall.
__________________
Retired in 2014 at the Ripe Age of 40
ExFlyBoy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:44 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Chuckanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 12,083
Now's a great time to sell a good condition car you don't need.

It's not a great time to buy a new car, though I do understand if you will settle for a sedan (Camry, etc.) the prices are a somewhat softer but still on the high side. There's a shortage of chips and apparently some other components so the auto makers are using their limited supply to build the high profit vehicles.

I did hear that Chevy Bolts had a huge discount attached to them a while back.
__________________
The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:10 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 105
Just sold my 2015 BMW to carvana. Very easy and gave us the most cash
Monterey298sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:53 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 29,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
It is very crazy. I saw a newspaper article yesterday about a local dealership that has an inventory shortage due to production delays (chip shortage) and how they can't keep used cars around.

As I have mentioned before, I sold an F-150 that I had for about a year to Carvana and they paid me more than I paid for it. I thought that was crazy, but...

I bought an Accord about 6 months ago (2012 model) and KBB shows that the trade in value is a little more than I paid for it and the private party value is about $2500 more than I paid. So yes, the car market is all sorts of screwed up right now.
This is very interesting. We have a lot of car dealers in way South Texas, and their lots are chock full of new cars.
__________________
Retired since summer 1999.
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 12:52 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 12,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Now's a great time to sell a good condition car you don't need.

It's not a great time to buy a new car, though I do understand if you will settle for a sedan (Camry, etc.) the prices are a somewhat softer but still on the high side. There's a shortage of chips and apparently some other components so the auto makers are using their limited supply to build the high profit vehicles.

I did hear that Chevy Bolts had a huge discount attache to them a while back.
Last month I bought a new 2021 Hyundai Tucson SEL SUV for $21,600 (+ or - a few dollars) + TT&L that had an MSRP of $28,600. Plus, they gave me $15,000 for our 2019 Dodge Caravan with 44,000+ miles on it. We paid around $22K for the Dodge 2.5 years ago. So for a bit over $7K cash, I am in a new SUV with all the bells and whistles (all new safety features, heated seats, air bags everywhere, etc.) There are good new car deals.

The Tucson comes with three years (36K miles) free maintenance (essentially oil changes and tire rotations). And it also includes 3 years of Blue Link (their version of On Star).
__________________
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth...philosopher Mike Tyson
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 12:55 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 468
Never bought or sold through Carvana, but I have received offers from them, and was always able to easily and quickly sell them myself for 10 to 15% above Carvana's offer.

Also, be prepared to be badgered by them incessantly if you received and offer from them and don't sell to them. For that reason alone, I will probably never do business with them.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 02:19 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ExFlyBoy5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Country Living
Posts: 4,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
Never bought or sold through Carvana, but I have received offers from them, and was always able to easily and quickly sell them myself for 10 to 15% above Carvana's offer.

Also, be prepared to be badgered by them incessantly if you received and offer from them and don't sell to them. For that reason alone, I will probably never do business with them.
I have not found that to be the case. We got offers several times on two cars before selling and besides the occasional reminder email, they didn't pester us at all. I haven't gotten a single email from them since selling, either.
__________________
Retired in 2014 at the Ripe Age of 40
ExFlyBoy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 02:51 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
ivinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
Never bought or sold through Carvana, but I have received offers from them, and was always able to easily and quickly sell them myself for 10 to 15% above Carvana's offer.

Also, be prepared to be badgered by them incessantly if you received and offer from them and don't sell to them. For that reason alone, I will probably never do business with them.
Are they as bad as the your car warranty has expired cell phone scam calls?


That's my gold standard..
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:20 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Chuckanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 12,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Last month I bought a new 2021 Hyundai Tucson SEL SUV for $21,600 (+ or - a few dollars) + TT&L that had an MSRP of $28,600. Plus, they gave me $15,000 for our 2019 Dodge Caravan with 44,000+ miles on it. We paid around $22K for the Dodge 2.5 years ago. So for a bit over $7K cash, I am in a new SUV with all the bells and whistles (all new safety features, heated seats, air bags everywhere, etc.) There are good new car deals.

The Tucson comes with three years (36K miles) free maintenance (essentially oil changes and tire rotations). And it also includes 3 years of Blue Link (their version of On Star).
Excellent Deal! Obviously you are not overwhelmed by the Blow That Dough syndrome.
__________________
The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:53 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 429
They bought my car for high Blue Book last year and it was the best car selling experience I have ever had. I was so happy that I immediately got onto Facebook to recommend the process to all my neighbors. The deal was completed in my driveway in the middle of Covid in December. The rep called to say he was on his way and asked me to remove the plates since they were taking the car out of state and would not need them. When he got there in his decked out Carvana car he started my car and I think he may have plugged in a OBD scanner and that was pretty much it. He had all the papers ready for me to sign and the transaction was done in less than 5 minutes and I had my check in the exact amount I was originally offered online. He parked the car in the street and let me know that a truck would be by to pick it up later that day and they came by about two hours later. I don't disagree that I might have got more with a private sale but I'm female and I don't want to be dealing with a bunch of strangers that either don't show or want to negotiate the price. The trade in option at the dealer has always been a nightmare as well and I will never go through that again if I can help it. I will probably always go this route from now on and plan to sell my other SUV to them in a couple of months.
RetiredAndLovingIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:14 AM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
John Galt III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,098
Just some more info here. I sold a 2004 Mercury Sable for $1,800 a few weeks ago. Here's the interesting part: 3 dealers offered me $100 for it. Finally a dealer offered me $750. Hmmm. What's this? The Carvana, and GiveMeTheVin websites offered me $300. Fortunately I decided to go through the hassle of selling it on Craigslist to the general public. The general public actually wanted the car. I had about 20 responses to my ad in 2 days. I should have asked for more, lol. What I find interesting is the HUGE difference between dealership buyers valuation and general public buyers valuation of the car. And WHY is there a huge demand for used cars? What does it have to do with COVID?
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:30 AM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ExFlyBoy5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Country Living
Posts: 4,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
And WHY is there a huge demand for used cars? What does it have to do with COVID?
I think the biggest issue is the shortage of new cars. I have seen several articles recently that mention the chip shortage being the biggest thing. Ford just announced that they are closing 5 plants (or curtailing operations) because of it. That's a bad deal with the "just in time" manufacturing scheme. Low inventories and pent up demand. Oh, and don't forget that a lot of folks now have $1000+ in stimulus money that makes for a great down payment.

Oh yes, and let's not forget that there is a shortage of rental cars when several companies sold their fleets off a year ago. That was reported by the WSJ a couple of days ago, but we noticed it several months ago when we had to wait over two hours for a car at the ATL airport and we HAD a reservation.

Here is an example: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...ctor-shortage/
And another: https://www.wsj.com/articles/auto-de...on-11616578202
And this one from YESTERDAY: https://www.autoblog.com/2021/04/14/...chip-shortage/
__________________
Retired in 2014 at the Ripe Age of 40
ExFlyBoy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:01 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets
SmallCityDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Just some more info here. I sold a 2004 Mercury Sable for $1,800 a few weeks ago. Here's the interesting part: 3 dealers offered me $100 for it. Finally a dealer offered me $750. Hmmm. What's this? The Carvana, and GiveMeTheVin websites offered me $300. Fortunately I decided to go through the hassle of selling it on Craigslist to the general public. The general public actually wanted the car. I had about 20 responses to my ad in 2 days. I should have asked for more, lol. What I find interesting is the HUGE difference between dealership buyers valuation and general public buyers valuation of the car. And WHY is there a huge demand for used cars? What does it have to do with COVID?

I think we are in the midst of inflation.
__________________
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least.
SmallCityDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carvana Chuckanut Other topics 17 09-24-2019 08:03 AM
Carvana mickeyd Other topics 7 04-11-2018 04:27 PM
Just received my early retirement offer packet Lisa99 FIRE and Money 52 05-29-2012 01:46 PM
Selling house, low-ball offer received, need advice - long Buckeye Other topics 198 08-30-2009 04:34 PM
...but I only received 11 lap dances!!! mickeyd Other topics 5 05-23-2004 02:50 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:01 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.