Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-03-2017, 10:19 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Do you really think it is prudent to take financial advice from a 62 year old divorcee librarian who is still working and has less than $1 million to her name? Even if it is free? No chance.

But wait... she wrote "Our Bodies, Our Shelves: A Collection of Library Humor" so she must be qualified to dispense financial advice.

Plus, she is conveniently ignoring inflation risk.

If her ex-husband is wealthy as she states, perhaps she should consider claiming spousal benefits at her FRA rather than waiting until 70 to claim on her own record.
I wasn't referencing the article as "advice".

I dont know if the author ignored inflation risks or not... but I didn't ignore inflation in my question.

Dawg52 nailed it: "This is just another one of those....'why play if you have already won the game?' threads. "
34rlsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2017, 10:20 PM   #22

If I had "won the game", then yes, I would be fine with nada. However, I'm quite certain that I will not win. To me, winning would be about $5M, maybe more. Basically, it would have to be enough to live at about $100K in today's dollars (spendable money - net of taxes . . .) for what I hope is about 40+ years. Whatever that amount is, it's a lot more than I'll ever have. Therefore, I'll be diversified but more conservative in my AA as I get older.
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:53 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Do you really think it is prudent to take financial advice from a 62 year old divorcee librarian who is still working and has less than $1 million to her name? Even if it is free? No chance.

But wait... she wrote "Our Bodies, Our Shelves: A Collection of Library Humor" so she must be qualified to dispense financial advice.

If her ex-husband is wealthy as she states, perhaps she should consider claiming spousal benefits at her FRA rather than waiting until 70 to claim on her own record.
I don't know about the woman in the article but matching strategies are made up of investment approaches that do not use stocks or any type of mutual fund and are designed to take inflation into account.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:54 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I think it's good to have a predictable income stream .. to pay for your expenses .. that gives you a peace of mind.

I think it's also important to have CASH money for emergencies.. that's very valuable.

But I also think it's good to have some money put away in something like the stock market with a higher potential return .. but it's important to havev the other 2 when there is a drawdown, You need to have them in order to ride out the down years .. if you're pulling money out during the down years, that's a recipe for disaster and that's when sequence of returns can really hurt you.
jzajzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:14 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
I can't afford the taxes to do this.
There is definitely that!
Old 11-04-2017, 05:53 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

You don't know you've won the game for sure until you're dead.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:41 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
True but Firecalc says so....so it must be true.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:13 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post
I just got back into the market last month
LOL, market-(mis)timing quote of the year.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:47 AM   #29

Even if you have no desire to leave any inheritance or other money behind once you are gone, it’s not logical to leave easy money with reasonable risk out of your investment allocation.

Only way it makes sense is with the “won the game” level of savings.

It’s also hard to accurately predict your date of death, short of planned suicide

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:56 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

If I take what I have now and divide it into 30 years, that's more than what I spend in the last 12 months. And then, I will get SS on top of that.

So, if I can just match inflation with a conservative investment, I should be OK, right?

No, I am staying in the market. The up-and-down makes life more interesting.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:57 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I expect I'll always have at least 20% in equities once I reach 80.

Before that, can't see dropping below 35% even at 70.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:12 AM   #32

If I were 75 or 80 and had plenty of money, I wouldn't mind making nada. Right now (age 59), I need equities to have any hope of making my money last to 95.

Having said that, my 96 year old father hasn't been in the stock market since he retired 35 years ago and has done ok. He obviously hasn't been making much money, but his personal inflation rate is pretty low.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:15 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's a person who has become financially independent, stress free and living her life the way she wants. To me, that's success! "Just another won the game article" - I wouldn't dismiss somebody who shares how she became a winner, I like winners. The generalization about inflation always comes up, yet the only number that counts is your personal inflation rate. Even on this forum, many have shown their rate is much lower than the government's number. The only definite about that government number is it is very unlikely to match your individual experience. Yet again and again it's referenced as a hard number. How condescending to reference her as a "divorced librarian" so why listen to her? Her strategy of investing in a 60/40 index fund and leave it alone for many years is a lot more Warren Buffet like than the many strategies and approaches (most of which the overwhelming real life evidence shows will underperform her approach) that are discussed on this forum. Thanks for sharing!
enjoyinglife102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:18 AM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickA5 View Post
If I were 75 or 80 and had plenty of money, I wouldn't mind making nada.
Depends on how you define having "plenty of money."

I'm 70 and have more money than when I retired 12 years ago, yet I'm 42% equities and have no plans to change at 75 or 80 - assuming I get there.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:18 AM   #35

Grandma has a pension covering all her expenses and then some, and only needs some cash as spare for emergencies that will likely never arrive. So she is 100% in fixed rate, and will remain that way.

It allows her to sleep well, know exactly where the money is, no surprises.

DM has some 30% equities, to dampen long term inflation and balance risks. She has no SS to speak of, so it needs to last her lifetime.

And I'm higher still, being not 40 yet and relying mostly on returns on capital if I want to make it to the end in reasonable comfort.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:23 AM   #36

My strategy was to find out what my risk tolerance was. Once I knew that I could plan around it. So I have 36% in a relatively stable bond fund. Sure it will lose money in a bear market, but not anything to lose sleep over. I also hold 10% in cash. The rest is in equities.
My income I get partly from bonds and partly from equities. So I still have enough in stocks to get growth and at the same time some protection on the downside.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:29 AM   #37

My crystal ball is working particularly well this morning! I see the following:

1) The market will continue on a tear for 3 more years.
2) The article author will begin to compute how much money she would have made had she stayed in.
3) She will "feel" remorseful since her friends and family (all ne'er-do-wells) are getting rich in the market and she has to listen to it everyday.
4) She will think its different this time and get back in after loosing 3 years of gains.
5) The market will drop 37% (I mentioned the crystal ball was working well).
6) The author writes a new article titled "See, I was right after all".

If you need proof of the above, see her quote.

"But if the market totally tanks tomorrow, you ask, and stocks become such a crazy bargain that I’d be a fool not to put at least some of my money back into that mutual fund that served me so well, wouldn’t I?

Of course I would! I’m no fool." Yep, she is a DMT.

So no, I will not follow her lead. I will continue to dance with the one that brought me, my well thought out AA.

FN
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:00 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
In my case, it's only after both me and the Unindicted Co-Conspirator are dead that the game can be considered won. Neither of us will be celebrating.
Nightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:13 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I hope no one takes her article as sound financial advice. It is simply her story about how she thinks she has won the game.

She points out that she put money in a vanguard index fund, that sounded a lot like a vangaurd balanced fund, and added to it regularly.

Her story has some helpful elements especially to people who don't know "come here from sic'em" about investing in equities. If you pick a good low cost fund from a quality firm like Vaguard, contribute regularly and let it grow for three plus decades, it will grow.

So her story is interesting but I would not seek her out for financial advice.

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:25 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I think the mindset of people will change if and when a meaningful stock market correction sets in...

In general, now is a time of caution in the markets since they are priced for perfection.
pn3069 is offline   Reply With Quote