Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-27-2018, 02:27 PM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My neck is sore from watching the wild swings today. Down 600 intraday and closing up 250. Madness. I don't generally watch, but peaked in at things during breaks from working on my garden.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

I vote to call it a Bear Market!
Old 12-27-2018, 02:39 PM   #182
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I vote to call it a Bear Market!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
My neck is sore from watching the wild swings today. Down 600 intraday and closing up 250. Madness. I don't generally watch, but peaked in at things during breaks from working on my garden.

Lol. I saw that .. down 600 red .. then last 15-30 minutes went 200+ green .. low volume trades push it to green. Was that the Plunge Protection Team at work ?[emoji12]
Old 12-27-2018, 03:23 PM   #183

Quote:
Roll on Bull market roll on
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 03:35 PM   #184
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I watched the market a bit in the morning, wrote 3 out-of-the-money covered calls on some stocks that were green while the market was red. Then, got tired of seeing everything going down, so went out to the backyard to do some work.

Needed to run to Home Depot for some "stuff". Stopped by my laptop to check on the market about 1/2 hour before close. Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
Lol. I saw that .. down 600 red .. then last 15-30 minutes went 200+ green .. low volume trades push it to green. Was that the Plunge Protection Team at work ?[emoji12]
The market declined until 1.5 hrs before close, then it started to turn around.

Total volume of the day was indeed lower than the daily average, but most of the trades were during the last hour and trading stayed heavy until close.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 03:46 PM   #185
Give me a forum ...

The "Day" traders are taking advantage of the swings.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:03 PM   #186
Give me a forum ...

Well, I do not care who is buying, as long as there's somebody buying, and buys a lot.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-27-2018, 06:34 PM   #187
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
The "Day" traders are taking advantage of the swings.
The Wall Street hedge fund firms who have "Program trading" algorithms set up, are probably cleaning up.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:53 PM   #188
Dryer sheet wannabe

-1. Not yet!!!
TravelinFamilyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:47 AM   #189
Dryer sheet wannabe

-1 Reminds me of when the wife waits for a Kohl's sale, and she has a handful of % off stackable coupons, and Kohl's cash. Buying along the way.
Scarab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:50 AM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab View Post
-1 Reminds me of when the wife waits for a Kohl's sale, and she has a handful of % off stackable coupons, and Kohl's cash. Buying along the way.
That Kohl's cash has cost us more money than it ever saved.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:55 AM   #191
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
Khol's Cash = thinly disguised Crack Cocaine
Old 12-29-2018, 07:00 AM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Khol's Cash = thinly disguised Crack Cocaine
Old 12-29-2018, 07:10 AM   #193
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post

LOL!!
Scarab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:13 AM   #194
Give me a forum ...

I am proud of my wife. She went in, found something that she liked and her receipt showed excess of $1 or $2 above that free cash.

I was there with her, and it made me feel guilty. But I think they figure it out, and I have not seen a coupon in the mail recently.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:27 AM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Just looking at indexes, not counting dividends, the market had finally recovered in Oct 2007, just in time for the next bear!

But if you count in dividends, that shortens it. But when you take into account inflation, its drain is worse than the gains from dividends. They very roughly cancel each other out. Accounting for inflation and dividends the 2000 bear market never recovered and continued into the 2007 bear market, taking another 5 years or more to completely recover.
A few years back, I read an article that said the Fed's various QE policies to drive down rates essentially amounted to price fixing the most important financial assets on the planet -- US Treasury bonds -- because virtually everything else finds its value as a risk premium relative to that risk-free return.

The fed used its limitless balance sheet to wrestle control away from the market on the price of treasuries and thereby removed from the market a very important pricing mechanism for everything else. Obviously, the fed always nudges these things via its rate actions, but QE was an entirely different beast.

I found that to be an interesting way of looking at it.

If you concur that's what happened, we should be prepared for a very out-of-the-ordinary market (up/down) as the Fed unwinds QE and allows the market to once again have more of a voice in setting the price of Treasuries and other assets. It took a decade (perhaps 2 decades to Audrey's point) in order to get here. The odds that this gets unwound in 36 months is shockingly low.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:42 AM   #196
Dryer sheet wannabe

Agreed. I too doubt the Fed will unwind their balance sheet anytime soon. As soon as there is a hint of an economic slowdown, I believe they will stop and, depending upon the slowdown's severity, increase their holdings again.

Does anyone know how the US Fed's holdings compare to the ECB's, particularly as a % of GDP?
Old 12-29-2018, 09:37 AM   #197
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet_Gamer View Post
A few years back, I read an article that said the Fed's various QE policies to drive down rates essentially amounted to price fixing the most important financial assets on the planet -- US Treasury bonds -- because virtually everything else finds its value as a risk premium relative to that risk-free return.

The fed used its limitless balance sheet to wrestle control away from the market on the price of treasuries and thereby removed from the market a very important pricing mechanism for everything else. Obviously, the fed always nudges these things via its rate actions, but QE was an entirely different beast.

I found that to be an interesting way of looking at it.

If you concur that's what happened, we should be prepared for a very out-of-the-ordinary market (up/down) as the Fed unwinds QE and allows the market to once again have more of a voice in setting the price of Treasuries and other assets. It took a decade (perhaps 2 decades to Audrey's point) in order to get here. The odds that this gets unwound in 36 months is shockingly low.
Well the QE that’s unwinding now was started in 2013, so it really hasn’t been that long. Plus the asset inflation that happened as a result also occurred in 2013 onwards. Unwind a few years gains and/or go sideways for a few years and we are probably back on track. Having interest rates at higher levels is a big part forcing return to less inflated asset levels.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:53 AM   #198
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I changed my avatar when I saw this thread. Maybe this is a "Teddy Bear Market"? At least, so far. I agree with others that it's probably not a full fledged Bear Market quite yet.

TBH I expect it to get much worse before long, but then what do I know about it?
(answer: absolutely nothing).
I agree
FinancialDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:03 AM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Good gosh! I had no idea until reading your post. Yes, I think it's gone from a Teddy bear market to a bear market by now.

This bear may be more applicable than a Teddy bear.

jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:12 AM   #200
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Magnifico Loco View Post
Agreed. I too doubt the Fed will unwind their balance sheet anytime soon. As soon as there is a hint of an economic slowdown, I believe they will stop and, depending upon the slowdown's severity, increase their holdings again.

Does anyone know how the US Fed's holdings compare to the ECB's, particularly as a % of GDP?
US Fed balance sheet is basically $4T and falling on a GDP of $19.8T. ECB balance sheet is euro4.5T and rising on euro16.4T of GDP.

That's on a quick couple of google searches, so the recency and quality of the data points may vary.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote