Join Early Retirement Today

"Ideal" age to retire
Old 05-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

"Ideal" age to retire

The New Ideal Retirement Age: 67 - Yahoo! Finance

By 2020 the ideal age will be 80.....ugh

I got out at 49 in 2006. The thought of 18 more years of work at that point in my life would have been flat out scary!
Who comes up with these articles on working so late in life, SS dept?

I am happy to be free
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
Those who didn't plan well (or fell on bad luck)... and need way to explain their current predicament
EvrClrx311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When they want to go and when they are thrown out are two different stories:

Quote:
However, the age retirees actually leave the workforce has not changed over the past decade. Retirees have left their jobs at an average age of 59 or 60 in every single year since 2002. About a third (34 percent) of people retired between ages 60 and 64, the most popular age range for retirement. And 14 percent of those surveyed retired exactly at age 65. Only 16 percent of retirees managed to work past age 65.
Early retirement was a common experience for current seniors. Many people (17 percent) retired in their late 50s and 18 percent retired before age 55.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I got out at 49 in 2006. The thought of 18 more years of work at that point in my life would have been flat out scary!

I am happy to be free
It seems like an article like this is coming out every other week. Maybe it is a type of brainwashing so that people won't be so ticked off about having to work longer.
misty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #5

I love the way they get from
Quote:
The age the typical worker expects to retire is no longer 65. For the first time this year, Americans expect to retire at an average age of 67
to this being the "ideal" age at which to retire. I don't see anywhere that they asked people what age they would *like* to retire at.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm hoping these articles are written as entertainment because I have every intention of hanging it up ASAP. Hopefully it will be well before I hit the age of 67. One grandfather passed at 73 and the other passed before I was born, so I need as much ER time as possible.
tmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmob View Post
I'm hoping these articles are written as entertainment because I have every intention of hanging it up ASAP. Hopefully it will be well before I hit the age of 67. One grandfather passed at 73 and the other passed before I was born, so I need as much ER time as possible.
I am sure that they are just entertainment. I retired at 61, and I really wish I had managed to do it earlier.

It seems to me that if someone still has a fire in them to change the world, and still has a driving ambition that needs to be fulfilled, it is too early to retire. To me the ideal age at which such a person should retire would be when that levels off; otherwise, very early would be ideal IMO.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #8

I think the author meant to say that 67 is the ideal age for other people to retire....someone has to keep the economy going
Old 05-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #9

My grandparents pretty much retired around 55-60, although my one grandmother who's still alive, and retired from the Fed gov't at 56, went back to work part time/on call until she gave it up at 70. My Mom and Dad both went out at 62. My stepdad went out at 58, but on a severely reduced retirement benefit.

My goal is to go out before any of them! And, as God as my witness, they'll be making snow cones in hell before I find myself working at 67!
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Back in 2008 when I was just turning 45, I remember saying to myself, "Why am I still working here?" all the time in the months just prior to my selecting a retirement date (Oct 31) for later that year. The thought of my working for another 18 months made me feel sad, let alone 18 or so years!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:02 AM   #11

I can't imagine working that long. My two older brothers will probably be 70 or close to before they retire. They spend. My younger brother got out at 52. I took the leap at 55. I turn 60 in a couple of months and to think it would be another 7 years! Are you kidding? My dental hygienist asked me recently if I wished I had worked longer. I said hell NO!
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:29 AM   #12

"ideal" = "soonest barely financially able" in the article.

People rationalize the new reality of having to push out retirement as "something they want".

As long as it works for them.......
Delawaredave5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:44 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

The ideal age to retire is 18! Though most of us won't be that fortunate so the next best age is the minute you financially can retire!
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:05 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Junk headline -- reading the article, this is when people said they expected to retire, not when they wanted to retire.

I'm still shooting for about 55. Or maybe even semi-retirement at around 50 to 52.

Quote:

Quote:
The proportion of people who think they will be able to retire early has declined significantly over the past five years. Some 13 percent of workers are now aiming to retire in their early 60s, down from 18 percent in 2007. And the proportion of people who think they will retire in their late 50s has declined from 11 percent in 2007 to 7 percent in 2012. Just 6 percent of workers say they will retire before age 55, which is the same proportion of people who thought that in 2007.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
My grandparents pretty much retired around 55-60, although my one grandmother who's still alive, and retired from the Fed gov't at 56, went back to work part time/on call until she gave it up at 70. My Mom and Dad both went out at 62. My stepdad went out at 58, but on a severely reduced retirement benefit.

My goal is to go out before any of them! And, as God as my witness, they'll be making snow cones in hell before I find myself working at 67!

+1

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawaredave5 View Post
"ideal" = "soonest barely financially able" in the article.

People rationalize the new reality of having to push out retirement as "something they want".

As long as it works for them.......
If I think about it like that, then I can retire in 8 months. I'm still trying to decide whether to do that, or to push it for another year. I wanna go asap...I just don't to hear myself saying later on "I shoulda waited just a little longer because...."

For the last umpteen years, I've told myself I would go at the first opportunity, which meant, with me being a fed employee, age 55. Now that the big day is nearly here, I'm getting slightly cold feet.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #17

I agree with many here that the perfect time to retire is when the excitement of the "game" is over and of course when funds allow. It does seem like these articles are made to attract readers (for Ads) and to make the average 50 something feel better about not being prepared.
I have met some smug folks that seem to be proud that they will "work til they drop", like they have superior work ethic. If they won a couple million in a lottery I wonder if their perspective would change - my guess is.... yup.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #18

Quote:

I am happy to be free
I have the same question, i.e.: "Is this ideal for the individuals or ideal for SS?". And who pays Gallup poll to do these things?

I like the quote that "Early retirement was common for current seniors", then goes on to say 17% retired in their 50s. 17% does not sound like "was common", maybe if 50% did it, but 17% sounds "rare" to me.

My idea of "ideal" is that each individual find a nice compromise between how long they need/want to work versus "shoving off" so younger folks can find job openings.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Many people (17 percent) retired in their late 50s and 18 percent retired before age 55.
Quote:
Just 6 percent of workers say they will retire before age 55, which is the same proportion of people who thought that in 2007.

Just goes to show that it's what people do -- not what they say they'll do -- that matters.
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:12 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin&hopin View Post
Just goes to show that it's what people do -- not what they say they'll do -- that matters.
So if 18% *do* retire before 55 and 6% say they will, I wonder what this indicates.

Does it indicate that many people want to work past 55 but health or layoffs force retirement on them before they were ready?

Or does it mean that today's "young dreamers" are just a lot more pessimistic about their own ability to retire by 55 compared to when current retirees already did?

Then again, these aren't mutually exclusive and it may well be some of both.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote