Identity Protection

I was thinking pretty much the same thing. If they knew of the hack problem and didn't tell the public for many weeks, they may choose not to tell the public about other things like PINs being hacked.

From what I read the bad guys were in the Equifax system from mid May to the end of July. That's 2 1/2 months to fish around for information. So, more bad news may be forthcoming as they find out what exactly the bad guys did in their computer system for 2 1/2 months.

Very sad. I fear this will not end well for many millions of us. Most likely those who can least afford to deal with the problem - elderly, low-income working people and underage minors (who may find out 5 years from now when they want to get their first car loan their credit is screwed.)

From what I read the bad guys were in the Equifax system from mid May to the end of July. That's 2 1/2 months to fish around for information.

Yes, so even if equifax had the pins stored separately and did all those other security things (no reason to think they did) the perps knew that and there's no reason to believe they didn't proceed accordingly

You know what would be nice is if banks and other companies stopped pulling credit reports from Equifax. Given what's happened, that would be the smart idea, to use the other two credit bureaus.

But when you apply for certain credit cards, you don't know which agency they're going to pull. The people who churn credit cards usually track which agencies they use but it's not completely predictable.

I've applied for a couple of cards and I got letters back from them saying I need to unlock my credit freeze for such and such agency. In those cases, I call the credit card bank and while I have them on the line, I unlock the bureau that they say they need to pull and they're able to get the credit report and then they've usually approved my application.

When I do anything that needs a credit check, I lift my credit freeze at all 3 bureaus for 24 or 48 hours and then it goes back into effect. Since I only apply on line, that's been more than enough time for them to make a decision.

for those who have done a freeze...

If I put a freeze on at the 3 major credit bureaus, do I have unfreeze all 3 if I apply for a loan or credit card or whatever, or will the lending institution tell me they need me to unfreeze just one particular credit bureau?

for those who have done a freeze...

If I put a freeze on at the 3 major credit bureaus, do I have unfreeze all 3 if I apply for a loan or credit card or whatever, or will the lending institution tell me they need me to unfreeze just one particular credit bureau?
When I had to do an unfreeze for DM, they specified the credit bureau.

Yeah Chase will send you a letter in the mail that they can't proceed with your card application because of a credit freeze.

They give you a number to call in and they will tell you which bureau they need so I do it online while on hold or call back after I've unfrozen and they will look it up right away.

Thanks. That makes the idea seem a bit less costly, at least.

It really sucks that these corporations can get away with being so sloppy with security on our data and leave us stuck with the cost to protect the data we never authorized them to have in the first place. Which, in the case of Equifax, means we pay them for their screw-up.

I wonder if I could get away with refusing to ever unfreeze my credit report at Equifax, and tell the lending institution to pick a different CB, or I will go elsewhere if they insist Equifax is the one they want to use.

The temporary unfreezes and refreezes are free. Last time I needed to do it, I was told by my bank that they would not provide that info, so I just unfroze all 3 for 48 hours. Worked out fine. And yes, all credit bureaus suck.

The temporary unfreezes and refreezes are free. Last time I needed to do it, I was told by my bank that they would not provide that info, so I just unfroze all 3 for 48 hours. Worked out fine. And yes, all credit bureaus suck.

Maybe in your state. $10 in Texas.

I guess I should count my blessings...$5 in Massachusetts :)

Another thing to be irritated with. Why should the cost differ by state?

No idea. Must be state consumer protection laws. I, incorrectly, assumed that the only fee was to place a freeze. Though they are now free for everyone on Equifax. Still waiting for them to get back to me on the free ID theft protection. Been about a week since I submitted my info

Better solution:

1. Have no credit cards
2. Pay everything in cash
3. Use only disposable cell phones
4. Never use credit for anything
5. Wear a hoodie at all times to avoid security cameras
6. Don't own a car or have a drivers license
7. Never vote or register for anything, including a library card
8. Don't file a tax return
9. Only use computers in public libraries anonymously
10. Live in a cave with no electricity

All we can do is be careful. Or, as someone famous once said "just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to get me.":confused:
And, don't forget to wear your tin foil hat...

Actually, a tinfoil body bag would be even better ��

Definitely a state-by-state thing, it's $3 here.
State-by-state freeze fees

This is one of the first things Congress should address with the bureaus - it's OUR data, not theirs and we should all have free access to lock and unlock, view reports at any time (not just once a year or whatever), etc. If this breach doesn't result in tighter federal regulation of these jackalopes it'll be yet another example of how they're all bought off.

Last edited:
I guess I should count my blessings...$5 in Massachusetts :)

Another thing to be irritated with. Why should the cost differ by state?

Because some states have stepped in to reduce the cost, decide when it should be free, etc.

When I realized that temporary unfreezes would cost in TX, even if the initial freeze was free if I got a police report, I realized it wasn't saving me much at all.

Edited: According to the consumers union article I am wrong about this and a credit unfreeze should also be free for someone from TX exposed to ID theft. Different information than I was able to gather a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
Some States, like IL at first blush look like it's free if you are an ID theft victim, however that's not so true in reality.

In IL they want an investigative report/police report of the unlawful use of your ID by someone - Not simply the theft.

Talk about locking the barn door after the horse has left. :facepalm:

Some States, like IL at first blush look like it's free if you are an ID theft victim, however that's not so true in reality.

In IL they want an investigative report/police report of the unlawful use of your ID by someone - Not simply the theft.

Talk about locking the barn door after the horse has left. :facepalm:

I believe only the initial freeze is free for ID theft victims and requires a police report that your info was compromised - at least in TX.

At least it doesn't require you to prove someone already stole your identity.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom