Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-14-2011, 08:26 AM   #121
Recycles dryer sheets

getting to one million was really exciting for about 5mins, then kinda depressing once it became clear that a million dollars doesn't buy what it used to!
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2011, 08:30 AM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I think of it as the fun I could have trying to spend another $40k a year (before tax).
Old 12-17-2011, 10:37 AM   #123
Dryer sheet aficionado

Has anyone ever read the book "The Millionaire Next Door"? It's full of stories about common people who ware millionaires, but you'd never know it. They don't live extravegantly, buy stuff on sale etc.

For me it's a case of building an inflation proof portfolio that can generate $50k per year, but I'm quite sure I'll only use $40K

If we're just wishing, I'd go see Jimmy Buffett in some exotic concert location.

oh and if I had a million dollars, I'd buy you a green dress... but not a real green dress... that's cruel.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:03 AM   #124
Dryer sheet aficionado

Seeing a couple of Office Space quotes in the favorite thing about not having to work thread reminded me of this one ....

Mods please delete if not appropriate.

Peter Gibbons : What would you do if you had a million dollars?

Lawrence : I'll tell you what I'd do, man: two chicks at the same time, man.

Peter Gibbons : That's it? If you had a million dollars, you'd do two chicks at the same time?

Lawrence : Damn straight. I always wanted to do that, man. And I think if I were a millionaire I could hook that up, too; 'cause chicks dig dudes
with money.

Peter Gibbons : Well, not all chicks.

Lawrence : Well, the type of chicks that'd double up on a dude like me do.

Peter Gibbons : Good point.

Lawrence : Well, what about you now? What would you do?

Peter Gibbons : Besides two chicks at the same time?

Lawrence : Well, yeah.

Peter Gibbons : Nothing.

Lawrence : Nothing, huh?

Peter Gibbons : I would relax.. . I would sit on my a$$ all day... I would do nothing.

Lawrence : Well, you don' t need a million dollars to do nothing, man. Take a look at my cousin: he's broke, don' t do sh*t.

T
Tif7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:13 PM   #125
Dryer sheet aficionado

The company that manages my retirement portfolio made more than 8% last year.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

Sadly, $1,000,000 translates to maybe $40-50,000 in retirement income. We can't live on that at the same level we're at now.

The good news is that we have more than $1,000,000 and about $50,000 in income from it, about 60% tax free. The bad news is that we have another$2-3,000,000 in real estate and just lost the only tenant we have. Anybody wanna buy some real estate?

We need about $150,000 to maintain the current lifestyle, including the last kid in college. In 2 more years, that's done. In about 5 years, the mortgage is done. Then we only need about $100-110,000.

Assuming we sell the real estate we don't use and that we don't have to spend the income from investments we're now getting, in 4 or 5 years, we'll have enough to live on. But a million bucks ain't what it used to be.
67walkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:48 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Wow, that's a lot of real estate, 67w.

Approximately 25% of my assets are in real estate, and that includes my home. I owe ~$175K, but only on rental properties. I do already have >$1m, but if I had another $1m, I would pay off the debt, buy a new car, RE and travel around the world.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #128
Recycles dryer sheets

Mead, we have a house with the mortgage almost paid off that is worth about 1.3 or so and a second home with no mortgage worth about .5. Then my wife inherited some property we have finally decided to sell. The property for sale is worth at around .5 to .8 or so. It was emotional for a while, but now we're just trying to get rid of it. It's nothing we worked for or earned or anything, but still, another .5 or .6 or so in the kitty is pretty sweet.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:45 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

If you sold the inherited property and the second home, you should realize ~$1m! That sum, invested would go a long way towards meeting your income targets. Do you really need the second home? Or could you live in it and sell the first home?

Of course, since the property market in the US is so depressed, you may want to wait and keep w*rking. Of course, if a property is not generating income, it's still costing you money to own it.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:02 AM   #130
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivinDave View Post
Has anyone ever read the book "The Millionaire Next Door"? It's full of stories about common people who ware millionaires, but you'd never know it. They don't live extravegantly, buy stuff on sale etc.

For me it's a case of building an inflation proof portfolio that can generate $50k per year, but I'm quite sure I'll only use $40K

If we're just wishing, I'd go see Jimmy Buffett in some exotic concert location.

oh and if I had a million dollars, I'd buy you a green dress... but not a real green dress... that's cruel.

Bought three copies of this book to give to each of our children (ages 23 to 28) for Christmas! Hope they read it.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:59 PM   #131
Recycles dryer sheets

Mead, the "2d" home costs virtually nothing right now, so we'll keep it for a while. Electric averages $51 a month over the year. Gas is about $250 a year. Insurance is just over $400. Taxes are $2,100. That's pretty much it as it is a new home. For that money, it's a keeper. And if everything really goes south, we can live there on what we've got coming in now, without even considering taking SS in a few years.

If we can sell the inherited property within the next year or two, and get maybe .5 or .6, we're good. We sold something a few years ago that generates $95,000 a year for another 7 years and is well secured, so we actually have what we need for now. When the $95,000 annual payment stops, the mortgages will be gone, SS will be pretty good and we'll be fine. Someday, we'll sell one of the houses, but I'd kind of like to enjoy the 2d one while I'm young enough and healthy enough to do so.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I guess we were lucky. We sold one inherited property in 2008 for $.4 and another on 2009 for $.55 but I would have preferred to not inherit! Now we can relax and not count every penny towards the retirement income...we have some breathing space after being retired since 2002.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:23 PM   #133
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'd still work the -13 months I have left to qualify for my federal pension...then would bail so fast it would suck the air out of the room...! I'm thinking it would be a fun 13 months.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:12 PM   #134
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehs1 View Post
Bought three copies of this book to give to each of our children (ages 23 to 28) for Christmas! Hope they read it.
When I started reading it and read about a survey done among millionaires and how they avoided the cavier and just ate the crackers, I set the book down and thought . . ."MY PEOPLE".
Old 12-20-2011, 07:58 PM   #135
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivinDave View Post
When I started reading it and read about a survey done among millionaires and how they avoided the cavier and just ate the crackers, I set the book down and thought . . ."MY PEOPLE".
LOL....I thought they were smart people! Who the hell wants to eat salty fish eggs and be haughty about it?!
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:54 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine

LOL....I thought they were smart people! Who the hell wants to eat salty fish eggs and be haughty about it?!
A surprisingly large number...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:26 AM   #137
Recycles dryer sheets

Over 20 years ago one of the $40K per year senior clerks in my office commented that a million dollars was not really that much money. More recently I've heard the same thing from several people who cut all kinds of corners on their food purchases. At today's prices, $1,000,000 still buys about a 100 year supply of pretty nice steaks.
Many of those who criticize caviar probably have not tasted the good stuff.
Of course when the much lamented housing price crises come to an end, a million will be more likely to become chump change.
justplainbll is offline   Reply With Quote