If I had only known.....

F4mandolin

Full time employment: Posting here.
*I would never have started with Edward Jones. Just ignorance. Cost me 5,000+ before I started reading up.
*If I had only put my max amount of money into TSP....and in the C fund as soon as I had started working. That cost me.....maybe 100K
*Shouldn't have bought the mobile home on the beach in SW Washington. Didn't lose much.....but if I had put it into stocks I would have been ahead instead of behind. But I sure like the beach.....
*How lucky I am not to have married early.....had kids......and got divorced. I can't tell you how much I appreciate this. Then....at 49 I finally married a divorced Yorkshire (tight as hell)(might even put the Scots to shame) woman......good move. And she loves me....which I really don't understand.
*I should have taken a couple of days off from running before I destroyed my Patella Tendons. I would weigh 40+ pounds less now.
*I could go on.......

My father had an expression about making mistakes. "You chalk it up to tuition."

I've paid a lot of tuition.

I've had plenty of "if I had only moments," not to mention the "coulda, woulda, shoulda's." Lucky for me it's a marathon and not a sprint.

I would have invested much more aggressively in diversified equities when I was younger. (CD yields used to look really good.)
I would have maxed out 401(k) money (rather than worrying so much about keeping my $$$ readily available).
I would have maxed out Ibond purchases when that vehicle was first available.
Other than those minor misteps, which likely did cost me significant $$$, not too much else in the money category; plenty of stuff suitable for Other Topics.

Two ways to look at it:

1) hindsight is 20/20

or

2) by Robert Frost:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

I gave myself permission to close my WSC account.
MRG

"Experience breeds wisdom" (personal saying)

If only I had placed my entire portfolio in TSLA at $17.50 rather than just 1%;-)

That "chicks" don't like you because of your "wheels" I could have saved a boat load of $$$

If I had only -
told my wife that we needed to stop sending money to her brother sooner.

and some smaller stuff like more money in equities and buying I bonds when they first came out.

I would have invested much more aggressively in diversified equities when I was younger. (CD yields used to look really good.)
I would have maxed out 401(k) money (rather than worrying so much about keeping my $$$ readily available).
I would have maxed out Ibond purchases when that vehicle was first available.
Other than those minor misteps, which likely did cost me significant $$$, not too much else in the money category; plenty of stuff suitable for Other Topics.

Me, too.

FWIW, even when I advise my intelligent/smart/educated nieces and nephews to do the above, they are repeating the very same mistakes I've made. Why? Somethings, people can only learn from their mistakes even if it's too late to do any good.

Late 90's...putting a lot of money into tech......how could it miss:confused: NO WAY!! Damn.........Check off another lesson learned. Hope I don't repeat it like an idiot.

Back
Top Bottom