Join Early Retirement Today

If you haven't already, you need to Download the NEW 2020 SS Calculator
Old 01-30-2020, 08:06 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you haven't already, you need to Download the NEW 2020 SS Calculator

FYI - There is a 2020 version, it does give different estimates than the 2019 Calculator.

https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/anypia/download.html
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2020, 01:08 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So, what's the verdict...higher PIA values?
Old 01-30-2020, 01:34 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
So, what's the verdict...higher PIA values?
Yes based on 2020 increases I assume.
Old 01-30-2020, 01:46 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Note that this Mac version will not work on a Mac running Lion or newer versions of the OS X operating system.

I see Mac users are still getting poor support. FYI OSX Lion (10.7) was discontinued in July, 2012 with the release of OSX Mountain Lion (10.8). Apple hasn't made any computers that can run Lion since 2012!
Al18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:33 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

What is the advantage of using this calculator vs the SS.gov estimate? I’m retired and waiting till FRA (maybe). I’m actually thinking of just waiting till I hit a specific target amount.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:37 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
What is the advantage of using this calculator vs the SS.gov estimate? I’m retired and waiting till FRA (maybe). I’m actually thinking of just waiting till I hit a specific target amount.
You can calculate WEP for example if applicable. Also it is on your computer so accessible at all times. I just prefer it, is all.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:48 AM   #7

Well there's the benefit of an inflation adjusted annuity. The previous version of AnyPIA I use is from 2015 and the new one shows a $500 higher monthly payout - Yay.

For folks like me who don't have a complete 35 year work history AnyPIA lets you input each year's income (including "zero" years) and gives the most accurate estimate. (I was both a mildly early retiree at 55 and a late starter after grad school so I only have 28 years of "real" income).
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:14 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Ok thanks. I got a friendly reminder last week to check my SS estimate and I was surprised how much it’s increased from 6 months ago. That’s where I got the idea to target a dollar amount since it looks like I will exceed the FRA benefit I’ve used for planning purposes at least 1yr before FRA. Maybe I’m just looking for an excuse to start before FRA.
Old 02-22-2020, 01:57 PM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al18 View Post
I see Mac users are still getting poor support. FYI OSX Lion (10.7) was discontinued in July, 2012 with the release of OSX Mountain Lion (10.8). Apple hasn't made any computers that can run Lion since 2012!
This is ridiculous. Reminds me of the '90s when many programs were DOS-only, no Mac equivalent.
Release The Hounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 02:06 PM   #10

I entered in my information (salary history) and calculated my monthly benefit. Does it do anything else? It has a bunch of data fields that don’t make sense to me. Just wondering if there’s any real value to digging deeper into this.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
ss.gov doesn't come up for me to compare, but I've been using the downloadable calculator at ssa.gov as posted by the OP for some years. It also lets me save difference scenarios for instant recall.

No change in calculation: I downloaded the 2020 version in the OP, opened the saved files from previous version, ran the "calculate estimate" function, and I got the same result as I had gotten with the 2019 version. Double-checked both versions. Verified it shows the new version 2020.1 in "about calculator" vs. the 2019.1 version for comparison.

Here are some others estimators:

https://ssa.tools/

https://opensocialsecurity.com/
GenXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 03:16 PM   #12

I downloaded the program and went to forms and it's asking for my SS #, does it use that to retrieve my SS data?

How do I enter all my data?
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 03:40 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I don’t think this calculator is helpful to me as a retiree but just a reminder everyone should still “claim” their SS account by establishing 2 factor authentication credentials at the SS website.
https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/security.html
Old 02-22-2020, 04:44 PM   #14

I just don't get that wound up over this stuff. I'm getting close to FRA. I know what I'm going to get. I took the time earlier to go online and fill in all my years of employment. No income for the last four years. Done
Old 02-22-2020, 05:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
I downloaded the program and went to forms and it's asking for my SS #, does it use that to retrieve my SS data?

How do I enter all my data?
You don't need to enter your SS. It doesn't retrieve anything as far as I can tell. If you look around on that site, there is a manual. I just kept clicking until I figured it out. Basically, you need to enter your earnings in the second form along with the date you'll turn 62 (62 + one month). So if you're 62 in January of 2025, you'll need to enter 2/2025.