Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-11-2008, 05:50 AM   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by albundyz View Post
So really, the question for me is this. Is the Camry (or Altima) worth an extra $2k (or $2500)?? In my opinion, yes.
I would have to agree. The Corolla is a fine car to drive around town, but it is small and I would feel safer on the Interstate in a Camry. Plus, as you mention the Camry can be a little more luxurious.

Also you might be interested in the Honda Fit as an alternative to the Corolla, due to the roomy and versatile interior configuration. But the Corolla is a very good small car as well, with a longer track record.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2008, 08:09 AM   #82
gone traveling

FORD F-150 Supercrew 4X4 with a 5.8L V-8.

Unless I can find something that burns coal.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:59 AM   #83
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Also you might be interested in the Honda Fit as an alternative to the Corolla, due to the roomy and versatile interior configuration. But the Corolla is a very good small car as well, with a longer track record.
I think I read somewhere cars got bigger; e.g. that the new Corollas and Civics are almost the same size as older Camrys and Accords. On the other hand, the bigger the car the heavier it becomes and therefore it'll burn more gas.
aida2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:10 AM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well.........not in the market now, but if I was, a 2008 Honda Accord sedan with the EXL package. 31 mpg highway, and it's as large as a Toyota Avalon..........

My uncle, "Mr. American Car guy", just bought a 2007 Honda Fit, but he will NEVER give up his 2005 Buick LeSabre.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:29 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwonderfulwyoming View Post
Unless I can find something that burns coal.
Well, I rode in a coal fired steam engine train a few months ago. But it would be kind of impractical for errands around town...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:22 PM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm in the market for a new Corolla, looking to trade in an 05 Hyundai Elantra. The Hyundai's been a pretty good car, however with no local dealer any problems cost me a day off to take care of. And recent attempts to get a warrantied problem fixed failed. But it's run well and with a local dealer I'd be more inclined to pursue the matter.
rmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

Corollas have gotten larger over the last 10 years. My daughter has a 2000 Corolla which is noticeably smaller than current ones. Toyota seems to have kept the miles per gallon about the same while increasing the size of the car.

Our local small town dealer wants full MSRP on their Corollas, so I may be going to the big city looking for a better deal.
rmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:22 AM   #88
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I would have to agree. The Corolla is a fine car to drive around town, but it is small and I would feel safer on the Interstate in a Camry. Plus, as you mention the Camry can be a little more luxurious.
Both cars received 5 star ratings in the crash tests...neither is safer than the other. I understand sometimes people "feel" safer in larger cars, but those feelings are often not backed up by facts.

Some people rely more on how they feel, some more on facts. I think it's obvious which way I am. Neither is right or wrong...just different. I just wanted to point this out to the posters so that each can make their own decision.

Dave
Finance Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:30 AM   #89
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was an auto mechanic for 10 years, and I still am a car enthusiast. I only worked on one Honda for every 6 GM cars. Realizing that at the time GM sold about twice as many cars as Honda, that means GM cars require repairs (at least the types of repairs I did...brakes, suspension, and driveline) 3 times as often. If you believe in Consumer Reports, their findings support this.

Different people value different attributes in a car. For me, the single most important attribute is durability, which is a measure of how long the car will last without significant repairs. This is different than reliability, which measures whether the car will function every time you need it.

For durability, I'd recommend the following makes, although there are some exceptions depending on which MODEL within the make you purchase.

1) Honda
2) Toyota
3) Mazda

There are tons of data out there about car quality, often it is complex and not easily interpreted, such as the IQR (Initial Quality Ranking). That is one of the least understood ratings in America...virtually no one knows what it means, but everyone uses it.

P.S. I own a Honda (my everyday car), a Mazda (wife), a 1969 Camaro show car, and a 2007 Mustang GT500 (race car).

Dave
Finance Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:13 AM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

The soon to be released Toyota iQ Toyota iQ
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:13 PM   #91
Dryer sheet aficionado

I drive a new Malibu as my "work car"......total junk.....and brand new.

I would personally avoid American union made cars and go 3-4 yrs old (someone else eats the depreciation).

Just my humble opinion....personally I drive old Volvos.....bullet proof.

Good luck,
Chris
chrisjul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:27 PM   #92
Full time employment: Posting here.

I want everyone to know that I did not pay Chris to write that and make me look so darned smart.
Jeff
jclarksnakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:19 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjul View Post
I drive a new Malibu as my "work car"......total junk.....and brand new.

I would personally avoid American union made cars and go 3-4 yrs old (someone else eats the depreciation).

Just my humble opinion....personally I drive old Volvos.....bullet proof.

Good luck,
Chris
The "Car of the Year" Malibu, or a 2007??

Sad if it's the "Car of the YEar"model............

Old 06-17-2008, 11:56 AM   #94

I would still buy a Subaru Forester....I LOVE my car!
I took it to Asheville, NC a couple of weeks ago and drove 1700 miles in three days.....only spent a total of $300 in gas.
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:43 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Well, I rode in a coal fired steam engine train a few months ago. But it would be kind of impractical for errands around town...
Unless you are going up Mt. Washington ...

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:55 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
I would still buy a Subaru Forester....I LOVE my car!
I took it to Asheville, NC a couple of weeks ago and drove 1700 miles in three days.....only spent a total of $300 in gas.
What kind of mileage did you get??

Old 06-17-2008, 02:14 PM   #97

My friend came to town and rented a Mazda 3. I think Mazda is now my favorite car manufacturer.

Edit: Especially when I'm the passenger and I get to change gears whenever I want!
RetiredGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sticker shock
Old 06-17-2008, 03:41 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Sticker shock

Having looked at the Toyota Yaris and the Honda Fit so far, I have found that they are selling at NO discount to MSRP, due to "high demand and limited supply"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:29 AM   #99
Give me a forum ...

This articles indicates that we should wait till 2010 to buy a new vehicle. That is when the new breed of hybrids and plug-in electrics will hit. The prius will apparently get 80 mpg....

Why You Should Wait Until 2010 to Buy a New Car | EcoGeek
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:56 AM   #100

I remain delighted with my decision to buy a Mini Cooper in 2007. It may not be the most economical purchase, but it’s fun to drive, roomy inside, gets more than 40 mpg and has a “coolness” factor not associated with other small cars.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote