Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-11-2008, 05:37 PM   #241
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucija View Post
Want2Retire - I like the new car smell as well. I also like the idea of buying new (and not owning other people's problems). Once I get the car, though, I hang onto it for a while...
Me too - - when I buy my next car, my present car will be ten years old or older. I get fond of cars and don't want to replace them.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2008, 09:47 PM   #242
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
A new Accord was $23,500 at the time,I paid $15,500 3 years old with 34,000 miles...........

I think I'm ahead.thus far...............
Do you have another car to drive for sales calls?

How can a financial products salesperson call on clients in an old Accord? I would think that one of 100 would think that you were frugal, the other 99 would think you weren't any good at markets.

Unless all your clients are engineers- and we all know what that would be like!

Ha
Old 08-11-2008, 10:22 PM   #243
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
toyotas and hondas are notorious for holding their values
True. But, inconsistent with . . .

Quote:
wife and i put nothing down and financed every single penny at $20,845.
together with . . .
Quote:
$10,000 is my guess for dealer trade in next year.
So, you expect your 2005 Matrix to have lost about 50% of its value by 2009. That's a big depreciation hit for these reliable, in-demand cars. As you say, they usually don't depreciate much.

Wait, here's the answer!

Quote:
i take my car for an oil change and a quick check up once a year and that's it. w
Dang it, don't be such a cheapskate! Take that car in for an oil change every three months and it will still have bearings and rings when it is 5 years old .

No charge for the helpful tip.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:53 PM   #244
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Do you have another car to drive for sales calls?

How can a financial products salesperson call on clients in an old Accord? I would think that one of 100 would think that you were frugal, the other 99 would think you weren't any good at markets.

Unless all your clients are engineers- and we all know what that would be like!

Ha
I have a 2006 Odyssey and an M3, but drive the Accord the most.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:18 AM   #245
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
You spent 4 months and wound up with an old Buick? You are a highly motivated man!

Ha
After all I am retired and got to annoy a lot of car salemen.

Bruce
Old 08-12-2008, 06:46 AM   #246
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucija View Post
Want2Retire - I like the new car smell as well. I also like the idea of buying new (and not owning other people's problems). Once I get the car, though, I hang onto it for a while...
Agreed. I bought a new Accord EX-L in 2006 and haven't regretted the purchase for a minute. The car now has 40k miles on it and the only repair beyond changing the filters has been to replace the brakes.

What really annoys me about having a new car is that it is a "blank canvas" for people to put their stamp ding/dent of approval on the doors, fenders and bumpers (I now count at least 10 dings of various sizes - most very small, fortunately).
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:45 AM   #247
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby View Post
What really annoys me about having a new car is that it is a "blank canvas" for people to put their stamp ding/dent of approval on the doors, fenders and bumpers (I now count at least 10 dings of various sizes - most very small, fortunately).
That is why I am waiting until 2010 to replace my (perfectly good) 2000 Camry Solara. By that time, I should be moved up to Missouri. My car won't be in a public parking lot all day at work like it is while I finish my working years. So, hopefully that will cut down on the dings.

Also, by waiting I won't have to put miles on my new car by driving it across country once, or more likely several times, during our move.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:27 AM   #248

Quote:
...What really annoys me about having a new car is that it is a "blank canvas" for people to put their stamp ding/dent of approval on the doors, fenders and bumpers (I now count at least 10 dings of various sizes - most very small, fortunately).
My DW was rearended in our Bonnevillle. It had over 175k on so they totaled it and I bought it back. Methinks we're given a wide berth from other motorists with all of that paint missing off of the rear bumper.

If I don't get over 200k out of that 3800 drivetrain, I'll be very surprised. The DW wants another car in the bullpen, so now I have to hunt down another used (depreciated) 3800 vehicle from uncle GM. Good thing they put that motor into about a million different models...
Old 08-12-2008, 11:31 AM   #249

... and I'm not sure what the big deal is with maintaining a used car. It may be luck, but I've only put around 1000 bones in non-routine maintenance in the Bonnie over 140k. I'll take that deal every time when I don't have to pay for some of that depreciation. YMMV I guess.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:50 AM   #250
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bow-tie View Post
My DW was rearended in our Bonnevillle. It had over 175k on so they totaled it and I bought it back. Methinks we're given a wide berth from other motorists with all of that paint missing off of the rear bumper.

If I don't get over 200k out of that 3800 drivetrain, I'll be very surprised. The DW wants another car in the bullpen, so now I have to hunt down another used (depreciated) 3800 vehicle from uncle GM. Good thing they put that motor into about a million different models...
I had a Grand Prix with the 3100 V-6. I wish I still had that car........

1 Million Miles
Old 08-12-2008, 11:51 AM   #251

1 Million Miles

Man Drives Over a Million Miles | KSNT.com - News, Weather, Sports | KSNT Ticker

"Chet's been driving coast to coast for twenty five years, and his pride and joy has never broken down."

Hey, the warranty covered the costs! I'll add this guy to my "living frugal" list ...

Anyway, that's why I still buy "Detroit Iron" ...

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:56 AM   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs0460a View Post
"Chet's been driving coast to coast for twenty five years, and his pride and joy has never broken down."
Nope, never broke down, but he did have the engine and transmission rebuilt.

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:17 PM   #253

Well, after reading this thread for a time, it is very obvious that there is no consensus on vehicles (car vs. SUV vs. truck), brand (foreign/domestic - whatever that actually means), new vs. used, and length of time you actually "keep" the vehicle.

Sounds a lot like how people invest on this board. That is that the "young folk" are generally more agressive, and the "old folk" (like me ) have had "too much excitement" in their lives, and they want to follow a "smooth path" through retirement.

I'd even say that this subject (being basicly non-investment related) probably ties with the word "annuity" as the most disagreed upon on this forum, in general.

I'll restate my obversation (when it comes to "mass disagreement") - that is that it really dosen't make a difference. If your decision works for you, then nothing (and nobody) differing views matter.

Anyway, that's my "closing thought" on this subject ...

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
That is why I am waiting until 2010 to replace my (perfectly good) 2000 Camry Solara. By that time, I should be moved up to Missouri. My car won't be in a public parking lot all day at work like it is while I finish my working years. So, hopefully that will cut down on the dings.

Also, by waiting I won't have to put miles on my new car by driving it across country once, or more likely several times, during our move.
One more thing. I priced out the cost of removing the dings and it's $50-$100 per ding to fix (e.g., Dent Doctor). A little bit of touch up paint and a toothpick will remedy a few of them, and the remainder are noticeable only if you're looking for them. Consequently, I don't plan on fixing them, particularly since they're on a 2006 Honda Accord with 40k+ miles (fair market value is $17,000 or so). If it was a Mercedes, BMW, etc... I'd be more annoyed.

Then again, I wouldn't be on this board if I spent my money like that.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:48 PM   #255
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
One more thing. I priced out the cost of removing the dings and it's $50-$100 per ding to fix (e.g., Dent Doctor). A little bit of touch up paint and a toothpick will remedy a few of them, and the remainder are noticeable only if you're looking for them. Consequently, I don't plan on fixing them, particularly since they're on a 2006 Honda Accord with 40k+ miles (fair market value is $17,000 or so). If it was a Mercedes, BMW, etc... I'd be more annoyed.

Then again, I wouldn't be on this board if I spent my money like that.

Not ALL folks driving Mercedes and BMWs are broke.........

Old 08-12-2008, 04:53 PM   #256

I bought a 2007 Ford Ranger 4X4 with under 10K miles for about 70% of the sticker price on a new 2008. Not really worried about gas prices since I don't put on a lot of miles. Has the largest towing capacity of the small trucks. Me & a 14 ft. enclosed trailer just moved DD 600 miles.
Now is the time to buy a gas-guzzler if you need one.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:40 PM   #257
Give me a forum ...

Our 1994 Caprice Washington State trooper-mobile (cop engine, cop suspension, cop brakes, cop exhaust) is getting dismantled and rebuilt prior to going into and under the gal's '56 Chevy 210 wagon. Hoping to get 25mpg on the highway and be just a tad quicker with the LT1 than the 235 6 with 3 on the tree it used to have....

As for me, i'm getting bored with my BMW 525iT work truck and looking for a circa 1990 Saab 4 door hatch as my new landlord Cadillac - might go some newer, but they started getting awful Chevy-like thereafter....

Way i see it, why buy something new when for the same money you can have something interesting that there won't be 15 of in the parking lot. Granted, airbags and safety and reliability aren't paramount with me. It's all style baby...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image001.jpg (50.0 KB, 0 views)
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:03 PM   #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by bow-tie View Post

Same engine as my Buick. My cousin put over 300,000 Miles on a 3800 Grand Prix.

Bruce
Old 08-14-2008, 10:53 AM   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Our 1994 Caprice Washington State trooper-mobile (cop engine, cop suspension, cop brakes, cop exhaust) is getting dismantled and rebuilt prior to going into and under the gal's '56 Chevy 210 wagon. Hoping to get 25mpg on the highway and be just a tad quicker with the LT1 than the 235 6 with 3 on the tree it used to have....

Ah, yes... the blessed LT1. What a wonderful motor. Those things are damn-neart bullet-proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post

Same engine as my Buick. My cousin put over 300,000 Miles on a 3800 Grand Prix.

Bruce....
If I see only 250k with mine, that would totally rule!
Old 08-14-2008, 12:52 PM   #260
Dryer sheet aficionado

My good old, reliable 1989 Mazda Capella(A.K.A. 626) has done 180K. Time to be replaced? Nope, only when I can find something which gets 40MPG for about $800 and the capella is a rusted pile of steel. That being said, it's getting there, I just spent $200 replacing a frost plug which had rusted through.
Neongreen is offline   Reply With Quote