Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-20-2015, 09:56 AM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Over the last year I've replaced tow 2001 vehicles. DW's Accord has turned into a Highlander and I got rid of a Chevy 1500 and have a Tacoma. Both were new. The older vehicles went to CarMax. Both older vehicles needed repairs or maintenace that was about the same amount as their CarMax price. Doing the work would have had minimal impact on their value. I feel sorry for whomever gets either of these rolling disasters.

I typically keep my cars until the maintenace needs approach their value. It's unusual for us to not keep cars for over a decade and put well over 100,000 miles on them. My Chevy P/U had 220,000 miles but just had so much wrong with it that I should have gotten rid of it a year earlier.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2015, 10:04 AM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Old car - 26 mpg overall. New car of same model but hybrid - 38 mpg overall.

Back on topic - when I was on my Condo board had a few owners complaining that the dues where to high. One lady complained constantly. I tried and tried to explain to her that the dues were controlled by expenses, but for some reason she seemed to believe that the condo board just made up a high number for the heck of it.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:21 AM   #103
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have purchase used cars. Most expensive was about $7K but it was in payment for a debt. Others were under $3K. After purchase I go over them looking for any issue. Expect to put about $1K into them the first year and then drive them (with good maintenance) till they just won't go any more.

When weather is good I've taken to using a motorcycle. Gotta get a little bit of fun in!
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:24 AM   #104
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
calm, I loved the ad for the Sprint. That's my kinda car! Will have to see if any are around when I get ready to change cars again.
Sarah, better hurry! Most have rusted into the earth and turned back into iron oxide by now. I checked eBay and could not find one listed for sale. If you can find a clean 3 cylinder one, you are golden!
Old 01-20-2015, 11:54 AM   #105
Give me a forum ...

My second car was a Sprint. I drove it for nine years. After 40 years of driving, I'm now on my fourth car.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:20 PM   #106

I think Sprints and Metros got a second wave of popularity back in 2008, as gas prices soared just before the Great Recession. IIRC, you have to get just the right combination, to get that really good gas mileage. 3-cyl, hatchback coupe, stick shift, and no a/c. I remember if you got the 4-cyl/automatic, it was EPA rated 30/34 by the metrics of the day. Good city economy, but the highway mileage wasn't much better than some full-sized cars. I remember my old Intrepid was rated 20/29, and I think the Chevy Impala, with the 3.4, was something like 21/32.

I'd imagine these cars are pretty rare today, because they were bought mostly as cheap commuter cars, used up, and thrown away. And that second wave of popularity probably did in most of the survivors.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:23 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
My second car was a Sprint. I drove it for nine years. After 40 years of driving, I'm now on my fourth car.
+1
I also have had a total of 4 vehicles in my 44 years of driving. Heck, I still have 2 of them and drive them frequently.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:24 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

I'd never even heard of the Sprint, but definitely the Geo Metro is famous. I've seen a few Metros listed for sale around here, admittedly all in pretty poor shape.

Shame none of you frugal types saved one way back when for me to buy off you at this late date. This would be the cheapskate version of the mint Ford Mustang dream uncovered in a farmer's barn, right?

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:33 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I'd never even heard of the Sprint, but definitely the Geo Metro is famous. I've seen a few Metros listed for sale around here, admittedly all in pretty poor shape.

Shame none of you frugal types saved one way back when for me to buy off you at this late date. This would be the cheapskate version of the mint Ford Mustang dream uncovered in a farmer's barn, right?
You jest, but many ugly, cheap-when-made cars are actually now worth a pretty penny. Vintage VW buses go for a good amount, as do their more common cousin, the VW Beetle.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:36 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

That's not just ignorance; it's stupidity, and love of complaining for its own sake. I have a lot to say against condo board members, but wanting high dues (which they also pay) is not among them.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

Back on topic - when I was on my Condo board had a few owners complaining that the dues where to high. One lady complained constantly. I tried and tried to explain to her that the dues were controlled by expenses, but for some reason she seemed to believe that the condo board just made up a high number for the heck of it.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:41 PM   #111

It was called the Chevy Sprint when it came out for 1985. That first year, I think it was only offered in the Western US. At some point, they added a 4-door hatchback, and there was even a turbocharged model offered for a couple years. I think it was 1989 when the car was redesigned, and no called the Geo Metro. The 4-door hatchback was dropped, but a 4-door sedan was added.

Around 1997 or 1998, I think GM dropped the Geo brand and these cars reverted back to being Chevies. At least, one of my friends had a 1998 Tracker and it was a Chevy, not a Geo, so I think they did that with all their "captive imports".

In 2000 they stopped selling Metros to private customers, but continued selling to rental fleets through 2001.

Oh, looking around on Wikipedia, they mention Car and Driver did a comparison test of a used 1998 Metro, pitting it against a new 2009 Prius and Insight. Naturally, it came in last place overall, because the newer cars were simply newer, better-engineered, etc. Not to mention, coming in at a higher price point. Nonetheless. the Metro managed to tie the Prius in fuel economy...42 mpg on their test average.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:55 PM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

Loved my little Geo Metro. I always thought it would have been a great car for a lead footed teenager. Gas pedal to the floor at every stop just to get going, you couldn't get into much trouble speeding! When I get on the highway here it is uphill for a bit and I would have to floor it and push it to get to 65. Manual transmission, no ac, all beat up, but it ran and got me where I wanted to go.
SteveNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:00 PM   #113

I had one to. I liked it but for some reason it would died during the first minute or so in the winter. But during to good weather it was great.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:00 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby View Post
You jest, but many ugly, cheap-when-made cars are actually now worth a pretty penny. Vintage VW buses go for a good amount, as do their more common cousin, the VW Beetle.
A friend who is a brilliant VW mechanic and owns 4-5 buses in various operational states had one of those barn finds not long ago. A VW Beetle, in perfect condition, purchased for $250 and a couple of hours of mechanical time on the guy's other car. Soooooo jealous!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10682429_10205123215905727_2018777265332418226_o.jpg (827.2 KB, 22 views)

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:02 PM   #115

Back in high school and college I was good friends with a girl who drove a dark green VW Bug. I tend to go for bigger cars, but I thought it was cool, in sort of a reverse-chic sort of way. This was in the late 80's, so at that time, they were just old cars, and not necessarily treasured classics.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:09 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

A prior owner had added a sunroof to mine - it leaked a bunch and the inner channel would fill with water. Nothing quite like going out to go fix a tenant's plugged whatever on a cold soggy Oregon fall day, sitting down into a wet car seat, charging off to do battle, and having a 1/4 cup of cold rainwater dump down the back of your neck on the first corner. Good times.

Had some people pretty amused because they thought my Motorola brick cell phone was worth more than the car. Hah. Mileage tax write-off on that car bought the car again plus all expenses and made me money every single year.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:09 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

As long as you didn't live in freezing weather. I used to have to scrape windshield inside of my bug while driving. Left foot would burn while the rest of you froze. But they did well in the snow. Cheap reliable easy to work on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:10 PM   #118
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNU View Post
Loved my little Geo Metro. I always thought it would have been a great car for a lead footed teenager. Gas pedal to the floor at every stop just to get going, you couldn't get into much trouble speeding! When I get on the highway here it is uphill for a bit and I would have to floor it and push it to get to 65. Manual transmission, no ac, all beat up, but it ran and got me where I wanted to go.
+1 I had a 92 Metro that I drove for 10 years, put 120K on it and no repairs, just routine maintenance. I've still got the spreadsheet with all the expenses/gas/oil changes recorded. Averaged 51 mpg over the 120K miles. Bought it as a single person commuter. No AC and I installed an after market radio because it was cheaper than getting the factory one. By FAR the least expensive car per mile that I can ever imagine owning.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:11 PM   #119
Recycles dryer sheets

An acquaintance of ours who makes somewhere between 80-100k a year literally lives paycheck to paycheck. There are times he has told me he had to scrounge up money to buy gas. Already lost one house to the bank. But he does enjoy his wine of the month club membership....
SteveNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:17 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
As long as you didn't live in freezing weather. I used to have to scrape windshield inside of my bug while driving. Left foot would burn while the rest of you froze. But they did well in the snow. Cheap reliable easy to work on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Pro trick for foggy bug windshields: keep a squeegee at hand

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips...words=squeegee
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote