Illinois Gas Tax

Good thing I drove 6 hrs out of there yesterday with no foreseeable intent to return.

OH's went up 11 cents today.

It won't affect us much if at all, but Virginia has raised the gas tax only along I-81 to pay for improvements to that highway. IIRC it is about 7¢/gallon.

According the link, this tax has been fixed since 1990. That’s bad policy.

1000 miles @ 13 m.p.g. equals 77 gallons... times the extra $.19 per gallon equals about an extra $15.00 this coming year.

Just want to do my part to reduce our Illinois debt. :flowers:

1000 miles @ 13 m.p.g. equals 77 gallons... times the extra $.19 per gallon equals about an extra $15.00 this coming year.

13 MPG? Are you sure? What do you drive, a tank? :)

Compared to a tank (specifically, the M1 Abrams) that's pretty good. According to this source the tank gets about 2 mpg.:)

I have a '67 Pontiac Catalina that gets about 13-14 mpg in mixed driving. About the best I ever got out of it was maybe 17, on a pure highway run, and resisting the urge to stomp on it.

I have a '67 Pontiac Catalina that gets about 13-14 mpg in mixed driving. About the best I ever got out of it was maybe 17, on a pure highway run, and resisting the urge to stomp on it.
That's a nice car :)
Compared to a tank (specifically, the M1 Abrams) that's pretty good. According to this source the tank gets about 2 mpg.:)
OK, so, a bit of hyperbole on my part, it gets better mileage than a tank. 13 mpg is about what a Hummer gets, and IMO that's a "suburban tank", so maybe the example wasn't that overstated after all. :)

Don't feel bad, on a good day my '03 GMC 4WD pickup gets 18 mpg. More often it is in the 14-15 mpg range.

My 1998 F150 with the big V8 will get 17 MPG on the open road, but around town about 13. But it's paid for. :cool:

@3 miles/day, it takes a little bit to warm up the engine. Since there is one
long stop light between here and the mall, that also draws down the mileage.

1996 Cadillac SLS, and a 98 Lincoln Town Car.

When we once in a while, go on a 5 or 10 mile trip, our mileage is much better.
:)

Wouldn't be any big deal if the politicians were good stewards of IL citizens' money.

But I'm driving a 2018 Camry Hybrid, and I am averaging 49.5 mpg recently. It's no big deal.

the extra money that Illinois takes in won't go toward the debt. They are going to spend it.

I plan on doing my best to thwart the increase - I'm cutting vehicle travel in half. I'm waiting until I have several errands to run in a given area and doing them in one swoop, rather than one at a time.

Last edited:
It won't affect us much if at all, but Virginia has raised the gas tax only along I-81 to pay for improvements to that highway. IIRC it is about 7¢/gallon.
Huh. Not my county, but the one next to it, where I probably most often get gas, has I-81 going through. I assume they'll be affected. It went into affect today. The tax goes through the distributors so stations may not raise prices until the next delivery. Probably better than the toll they were considering.

Since I have 2 EV's I haven't been to a gas station in 11 months. My electric bill was 22 something this past month. I heard the CA. gas tax went up 5.5 cents a gallon for those that still buy gasoline.

Our Hyundai's mileage has gone from 33 to 23 because of the small amount of driving we now do. Also it is stop-and-go, the worst kind of driving for a gasoline engine. Just had the oil changed and sprang for full synthetic in hopes of appeasing the engine gods.

Edit: oh and since the OP was about gas tax, we are paying 50.6 cents per gallon in Florida's Indian River County.

Last edited:
Wouldn't be any big deal if the politicians were good stewards of IL citizens' money.

But I'm driving a 2018 Camry Hybrid, and I am averaging 49.5 mpg recently. It's no big deal.

it's not the tax per se, it's the corruption and deceit. there's been no discussion or thought into reducing spending thru waste, duplicate programs and bloat. while the gas tax money was supposedly going to fix roads and bridges our ethically challenged governor signed the legislation that diverted a portion of the anticipated funds to legislative pockets in the form of a pay raise. more shovel-ready jobs that will evaporate.

It will be interesting to see if the doubling of Illinois gas tax will actually result in the projected increased revenue. I suspect those who can manage their driving habits will decrease the total miles driven each year thus reducing the total gallons of gas sold in Illinois. Also the price differential between the cost of a gallon of gas in Illinois vs a bordering state will most likely send motorists to purchase gas across the border. There are people who are so frustrated with Illinois government they will drive the extra miles to fill up even if it only saves them a few pennies.

At 36.8 cents per gallon tax, Oregon is only marginally better than Illinois. Add the fact that the legislature just pushed through massive tax hikes and Oregonians might be leaving for a place with less taxes too.

Back
Top Bottom