Join Early Retirement Today

I'm 4.2 million richer!
Old 01-27-2020, 08:26 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm 4.2 million richer!

Just received this email this morning.
Can't believe my net worth will be going up so well!!!! .

For Your Prompt Attention:

I am Peter Douglas, United Nations Inspection Agent in Harts field Jackson Atlanta International Airport
Atlanta GA. We are conducting second phase audition, all abandoned Consignment in USA Airports are being transferred to our facilities here for inspection and confiscation. During our investigation,I discovered an abandoned luggage on your name which was transferred to our facility here in Harts field Jackson Atlanta International Airport and when scanned it, it revealed an undisclosed sum of money in a Metal Trunk Box. The
consignment was abandoned because the Content was not properly declared by the consignee as money, rather it was declared as personal effect to avoid diversion by the Diplomatic Agent also the Diplomat inability to pay for Non Inspection Fees.
On my assumption, the box will contain more than $6M and the consignment is left in storage house till today through a Courier Dispatch Service. The Consignment is a metal box with weight of about 162LBS (Internal dimension:W61 x H156 x D73 (cm) Effective capacity:680 L)Approximately.

The details of the consignment includes your name, the official document from United Nations office in London all are tagged on the Metal Trunk box. I want to use my good office and clear the Consignment and deliver it to you. If you WILL ACCEPT MY CONDITION and want us to transact the delivery for mutual benefit, you should provide Your Name, Phone Number and Full Address, to cross check if it corresponds with the address on the official document including the name of nearest Airport around you and other details. You should send the required details to me for onward delivery.

All communication must be held extremely confidential, I can get everything concluded within 24 to 48hours upon your acceptance and proceed to your address for delivery. But it must be on the condition that you will give me 30% of the amount contained in the box and i must get assurance from you concerning my 30%
before i will proceed.

I want us to transact this business and share the money, since the shipper have abandoned it and ran away. I will pay for the Non-inspection fee and arrange for the box to be moved out of the Airport to your address, Once i am through,I will deliver the consignment by myself to avoid any more trouble. But the sharing formula will be 70% for you and 30% for me, you have to assure me of my 30%. Do respond to
me if you are interested to conclude this with me.

Regards,
Peter Douglas
INSPECTION OFFICER.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2020, 08:43 AM   #2

Wait, cut me in. my cc number is 3333 3333 3333 3333
Old 01-27-2020, 08:43 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations on the windfall!
I'm surprised he didn't ask for your bank account details/ credit card to pay for the inspection fees and freight etc.
Rickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnski1 View Post

Just received this email this morning.
Can't believe my net worth will be going up so well!!!! .
On my assumption, the box will contain more than $6M and the consignment is left in storage house till today through a Courier Dispatch Service. The Consignment is a metal box with weight of about 162LBS (Internal dimension:W61 x H156 x D73 (cm) Effective capacity:680 L)Approximately.

All communication must be held extremely confidential, I can get everything concluded within 24 to 48hours upon your acceptance and proceed to your address for delivery. But it must be on the condition that you will give me 30% of the amount contained in the box and i must get assurance from you concerning my 30%
before i will proceed.

I want us to transact this business and share the money, since the shipper have abandoned it and ran away...But the sharing formula will be 70% for you and 30% for me, you have to assure me of my 30%. Do respond to
me if you are interested to conclude this with me.

Regards,
Peter Douglas
INSPECTION OFFICER.
Hurry before the time runs out. Send $1.6M by tomorrow, sometime. Not sure if he wanted a check or MO, maybe a certified check?

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:44 AM   #5

Good thing it's says Official documents, otherwise I'd think you're being scammed!
Old 01-27-2020, 08:50 AM   #6
gone traveling

Score, congratulations!
aboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:56 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What a misleading thread title!

You will only get 70% of the $4.2M, which is $2.94M. The OP should have the moderator team edit the thread title to represent the real number. But we can excuse the OP from this mistake, in his excitement to share the good news.

How can the kind Mr. Douglas be assured of his share of 30%, which is $1.26M? If you do not have this much cash, other forum members will be happy to chip in, but then they will also want their cut.

I think the kind Mr. Douglas will accept something much less from you as a down payment. Maybe $10K of cash via Western Union will be acceptable as proof of your good will?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
Wait, cut me in. my cc number is 3333 3333 3333 3333
Or call at 555-1212
Old 01-27-2020, 08:59 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

WOW!
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:01 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Spend some time on Reddit looking at the posted scams on r/scams. Some are amazingly intricate (frighteningly so) and creative.
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:03 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

You should counter offer to give up the remaining 70% of your share for a $2.1 million cashier's check. The surrender letter will be held in escrow for 4 weeks until the check clears.

Now both you and "Peter Douglas" can retire early. Sounds like a win-win!
Go-NoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
What a misleading thread title!

You will only get 70% of the $4.2M, which is $2.94M. The OP should have the moderator team edit the thread title to represent the real number. But we can excuse the OP from this mistake, in his excitement to share the good news.

How can the kind Mr. Douglas be assured of his share of 30%, which is $1.26M? If you do not have this much cash, other forum members will be happy to chip in, but then they will also want their cut.

I think the kind Mr. Douglas will accept something much less from you as a down payment. Maybe $10K of cash via Western Union will be acceptable as proof of your good will?

No it was 6 million total I already did the math on the 70%
Old 01-27-2020, 09:11 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

You need to ask for more. When a Nigerian Prince offered me a few million dollars to help him get money into the USA, I also asked for goats which I needed to help keep the weeds down on some vacant land I own. But, don't get greedy. I asked for three goats and that was too much. The Prince chose somebody else. I think he would have gone for two goats.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:15 AM   #14

you're right. I blew it.
Probably should do the dry-uary my head is not clear
Old 01-27-2020, 09:19 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnski1 View Post
No it was 6 million total I already did the math on the 70%
My apology. I scanned through the email so fast, I missed the $6M figure.

Wow, you are really getting a good deal.

Lemme see. 4% WR on $4.2M is an additional $168K/year. You have to be another Robbieb to blow this money. In fact, he said he will not sustain this spending, but you now can. Congrats.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-27-2020, 09:21 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Retire now! $4.2 million of Nigerian money is still a lot right?
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:21 AM   #17

even with another $168k a year I am not sure I could keep up with him!
Old 01-27-2020, 09:23 AM   #18

probably get me 4 goats
Old 01-27-2020, 09:26 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Retire now! $4.2 million of Nigerian money is still a lot right?
The email says $6M, and we all assume the $ symbol means US dollars.

If it is in Nigerian naira, which is worth US$0.0028, then the 6M naira is $16.8K.

Ugh! You need to write back to ask for a confirmation. Gotta be sure on this.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:28 AM   #20

But I already ordered a couple Teslas and a new Cayman S.