Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-03-2017, 02:59 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quicken 2018 now has 107 reviews on Amazon averaging 3.4 stars. What's interesting though is that of the 107 reviews, only 7 are verified purchases. The rest seem to be people who are upset about the pricing and just want to vent about it by giving a one star review. Of the few people who purchased it, they seem to think it works fine, but acknowledge there isn't any difference between 2018 and the prior couple of versions.

Since I have 2017, it still appears there is no reason to upgrade. I was hoping they would finally add Quicken Lifetime Planner to the Mac version, but it does not appear they have done so.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2017, 09:35 AM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm still using Quicken 2000. I do all my bookkeeping in the program manually. Several times over the years, I've looked into other options, but none of them would correctly migrate the (now) 28 years of data that I've accumulated. Even recent versions of Quicken have been unable to migrate the data. I don't want to lose the data because it is effectively a journal of my life since 1989.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:32 PM   #103

Question: If I go with the two factor authentication at Vanguard, will that make my Quicken 2016 to not update? I'd like to go with it to be more secure, but I do like that Quicken automatically updates all of my accounts at VG, which is most of my accounts.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:19 PM   #104
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickA5 View Post
Question: If I go with the two factor authentication at Vanguard, will that make my Quicken 2016 to not update? I'd like to go with it to be more secure, but I do like that Quicken automatically updates all of my accounts at VG, which is most of my accounts.
I believe they use a different interface.

However, I'm not putting in my VG login credentials in Quicken.

I can do just fine downloading OFX and QFX files manually and then importing them into Quicken.

However, I tried Quicken 2017 for Mac and apparently they don't allow manual importing. Some other users on Quicken forums say they closed this "loophole."
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:22 PM   #105
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I can do just fine downloading OFX and QFX files manually and then importing them into Quicken.

However, I tried Quicken 2017 for Mac and apparently they don't allow manual importing. Some other users on Quicken forums say they closed this "loophole."
I'm using Quicken for Mac 2018, and the File->Import menu allows you to import OFX and QFX files. I believe they no longer import QIF files (at least I don't see an option for that).

But, going back & looking at Quicken 2017, I see the Import menu had an option for OFX/QFX in that version also. I don't have any reason to think it works differently in Quicken 2018. Unfortunately, I don't have a manual account I can try it out with.
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:50 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

They don't allow it for my credit union, for whatever reason.

My credit union also says they have to license export functionality from Quicken.

OK, maybe they have to do so for QFX but OFX should be an open standard?

I'm using Bankivity 6 for Mac which lets you import these files manually. What Quicken calls Web Connect.

But when I try it in Quicken 2017, they try to get me to convert the account to Quicken Connect or Direct Connect. Otherwise it won't import those files.

I think they're trying to make sure people migrate to their subscription plan versions.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:15 PM   #107
Full time employment: Posting here.

Spent a week looking at Quicken alternatives as the 30 Apr changeover date approaches. Looked at:

Moneydance
Banktivity
Moneyspire
SEE Finance
iCompta
Quicken

After all was said and done, SEE Finance was the best at importing my QIF from QM2007 and downloading my transactions from USAA and Vanguard. My Ally savings account does not support Direct Connect, so those monthly transactions will have to be manually entered. Not a problem since I only have one withdrawal/month and an interest entry to enter.

The reports in SEE Finance take a bit to get used to, but once I spent some to understand how they operated it was pretty easy to get Income/Expenses reports for every year going back to 2006. Also was easy to set up and monitor a budget. Finally, I emailed for support and got answers back in 15 minutes and the next morning (this was from a Sunday email).

At $29.99, SEE Finance is tough to beat and is a great replacement for your Quicken habit. Although SEE Finance 2 was just released this past Dec, it has been around since 2009 with the release of Version 0.9. Version 1.0 was released in 2015. There is a 30-day free trial.

https://scimonocesoftware.com/seefinance/

Lazy Portfolio Investor:
AA: 55% Stocks
35% Bonds
10% Cash
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:20 PM   #108
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoSour View Post
Spent a week looking at Quicken alternatives as the 30 Apr changeover date approaches. Looked at:

Moneydance
Banktivity
Moneyspire
SEE Finance
iCompta
Quicken

After all was said and done, SEE Finance was the best at importing my QIF from QM2007 and downloading my transactions from USAA and Vanguard. My Ally savings account does not support Direct Connect, so those monthly transactions will have to be manually entered. Not a problem since I only have one withdrawal/month and an interest entry to enter.

The reports in SEE Finance take a bit to get used to, but once I spent some to understand how they operated it was pretty easy to get Income/Expenses reports for every year going back to 2006. Also was easy to set up and monitor a budget. Finally, I emailed for support and got answers back in 15 minutes and the next morning (this was from a Sunday email).

At $29.99, SEE Finance is tough to beat and is a great replacement for your Quicken habit. Although SEE Finance 2 was just released this past Dec, it has been around since 2009 with the release of Version 0.9. Version 1.0 was released in 2015. There is a 30-day free trial.

https://scimonocesoftware.com/seefinance/
But it only runs on Mac

(—Charles Bukowski)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:14 PM   #109

I'm not familiar with that software, but I do have a Mac so I'll be curious to hear how it compares to Quicken for the Mac after you have some time to play with it.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:05 PM   #110
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaberetiree View Post
But it only runs on Mac
So, buy a Mac.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:29 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Better/cheaper to just buy Quicken than buy a Mac.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote