Join Early Retirement Today

I'm no longer FIRE
Old 09-30-2018, 11:00 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm no longer FIRE

Ok. Gotta admit it. After over a decade of FIRE (2/2004-12/2009 non working years, 2010-2014 PT seasonally, 2/2015-10/2017 FT) I apparently hit SSA's definition of full benefit age. So now I'm just FIR. And can draw on my xH account (so instead of supporting him for 17+ years I get payback?).

Hence my question: How did you decide how much to have withheld from the check and how did you do it? What happens if I draw on his # and he decides to draw on mine (if he can remember my SSN)
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2018, 11:06 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
Ok. Gotta admit it. After over a decade of FIRE (2/2004-12/2009 non working years, 2010-2014 PT seasonally, 2/2015-10/2017 FT) I apparently hit SSA's definition of full benefit age. So now I'm just FIR. And can draw on my xH account (so instead of supporting him for 17+ years I get payback?).

Hence my question: How did you decide how much to have withheld from the check and how did you do it? What happens if I draw on his # and he decides to draw on mine (if he can remember my SSN)
How much to withhold depends on your other income streams. You don't get a flexible choice, you are offered 4 options, 7, 10, 12, or 22%. I started out on the low end, then bumped it up when income tax rules for 2018 changed.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/taxwithold.html
Old 09-30-2018, 11:20 AM   #3

We take the full SS amount. I pay quarterly estimated taxes from other income or investments.
YMMV depending on each persons situation
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
How much to withhold depends on your other income streams. You don't get a flexible choice, you are offered 4 options, 7, 10, 12, or 22%. I started out on the low end, then bumped it up when income tax rules for 2018 changed.

4 yrs to RMD so just pension @ 36k + taxable dividends. Thinking midstream (12%) might be too low as I've learned it will all be taxable? If I choose 'wrong' it can be changed next year
Old 09-30-2018, 11:29 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
And can draw on my xH account (so instead of supporting him for 17+ years I get payback?).

What happens if I draw on his # and he decides to draw on mine (if he can remember my SSN)
When either you and/or he file, you'll get an amount equal to your own benefit or half of the other's, whichever is larger. It won't matter to either of you whether the other has filed.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:32 AM   #6

I'm in the pre 1954 group so SSA said I can choose to get half his or all mine not whichever is greater but will research further as I want mine to keep growing until 70 (self funding possible assisted living in the future should kids / grandkids ever move out of my small town)
Old 09-30-2018, 11:39 AM   #7

Quote:
I'm in the pre 1954 group so SSA said I can choose to get half his or all mine not whichever is greater but will research further as I want mine to keep growing until 70 (self funding possible assisted living in the future should kids / grandkids ever move out of my small town)
In this situation I'm glad I'm a few years older. https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/deemedfaq.html
Old 09-30-2018, 11:54 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post

When I started SS at my FRA earlier this year I filed an IRS form W-4V to withhold taxes, but I was given the choices of 7%, 10%, 15% or 25%. Not that much of a difference from what you stated, but I chose 15% for this first year, to be adjusted in the future if appropriate.

My DH will do a file and suspend at his FRA birthday in January, and claim spousal benefits on mine until he reaches 70. We had planned to request that 15% be withheld on that as well, but if it is now 12%, that should be OK for the first year.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:55 AM   #9

I pay estimated taxes yearly.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 12:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
When I started SS at my FRA earlier this year I filed an IRS form W-4V to withhold taxes, but I was given the choices of 7%, 10%, 15% or 25%. Not that much of a difference from what you stated, but I chose 15% for this first year, to be adjusted in the future if appropriate.

My DH will do a file and suspend at his FRA birthday in January, and claim spousal benefits on mine until he reaches 70. We had planned to request that 15% be withheld on that as well, but if it is now 12%, that should be OK for the first year.
You cannot do "file and suspend" any longer. I think you mean "file and restrict".
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 12:51 PM   #11

I started at 10%, which turned out to be too low; I ended up owing a lot of money this year so I upped it to 20%. That seems about right now, especially since I expect to be hurt by the 2018 tax changes, though it's hard to be sure. I'd be happy to get a refund, though I doubt that will happen. You can always adjust the amount if needed.

What your X claims will have no effect on what you're getting.
lucky penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
You cannot do "file and suspend" any longer. I think you mean "file and restrict".
Yes....indeed.