Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-03-2020, 03:51 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
We upgraded some years back - to Quicken 2006. Granted, we don't download anything from brokerages, but it seems to add and subtract well. Sometimes it is good not to be familiar with everything that is possible - that way you hardly miss it at all.
Yeah, we’re riding our last version (2016 I think) as long as possible. Given the information in this thread, I’m glad I don’t have to download transactions. If Quicken ever give out, I my just go to a spreadsheet. Though, I’ve use Quicken for years and will miss it. I just can’t justify the subscription for my needs.

I just bought a version of Office that doesn’t require a subscription. Hopefully I can ride that for a decade like I did the last version I had. Again, I use so little of the functionality that it’s just not worth a subscription.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2020, 03:53 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyJack View Post
Long time Quicken user here as well. However this is the first time I have had to renew my subscription. I bought a discounted retail download from Office Max. I entered the Application Key into Quicken and got the message that this Key is for new users only.

After researching I still am not certain how an existing member can renew with a discounted membership. Everything seems to point me to Quicken.com and buying at full retail price.

I did let my subscription expire before entering the new Key. I think that might be the issue. Maybe I needed to do this before expiration. Anybody have thoughts on this?

Thanks
My Quicken 2017 was still working when i installed the subscription version earlier this year so can't answer your question. The bottom line though is that you bought and paid for a new subscription so try calling quicken and see if they can fix it for you. I bought mine on EBAY for $12. Did not use the CD in the package but downloaded from the Quicken website just to be safe then entered the activation code that came in the box.
RetiredAndLovingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:57 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have been limping along with Quicken 2007 MacOS version for years, because Intuit, in their infinite wisdom, decided that the Mac no longer mattered and stopped developing the very complete, highly functional Mac version. There were the very occasional bug fixes over the years - like one every 4 or 5 years. But otherwise no support. On the good side I never had to deal with expiring download limits.

This year I started to run into more serious issues. The main one was that transaction downloads from Fidelity suddenly stopped working. Thankfully importing qfx files still works after I OK an error message. Supposedly there was some security change that made downloading transactions directly from the institutions no longer compatible. It’s painful not being able to download Fidelity transactions but I was never comfortable logging into the direct download window anyway, and I wish Fidelity would provide qfx files like almost all my other financial institutions do.

Given the reports here sounds like I’m no worse off than folks who have the latest! I guess that old make me very leery of changing to new Quicken software.

I have to say that I am very dependent on Quicken at this point. I have a huge number of customized reports that I use often, I use the scheduled transactions heavily, I have way too many accounts and Quicken keeps me straight. Obviously I need to simplify, and I will, but it’s a gradual process that will probably take me to 75.
Old 12-03-2020, 04:00 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Long time Quicken user also - about 20 years. Now on subscription. I have some issues with the subscription version, but not as bad as those of OP. I used to track all expenses and portfolio balances.

I now only use it to monitor checking and credit card transactions. I don't categorize anymore. I use Apple numbers to monitor portfolio. I will probably make a Numbers file to take over the Quicken duties and not renew my subscription.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:40 PM   #25

like most on the thread we've been using Quicken for as long as i can remember. we've been doing the subscription thing for a couple of years now. none of our institutions are linked. i have numerous categories and tags so i enter everything manually. but i do a weekly update of the share prices of our mutual funds. about the only problem i've had is certain entries that have been reconciled keep popping back up as unreconciled every 2 or 3 months.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyJack View Post
Long time Quicken user here as well. However this is the first time I have had to renew my subscription. I bought a discounted retail download from Office Max. I entered the Application Key into Quicken and got the message that this Key is for new users only.

After researching I still am not certain how an existing member can renew with a discounted membership. Everything seems to point me to Quicken.com and buying at full retail price.

I did let my subscription expire before entering the new Key. I think that might be the issue. Maybe I needed to do this before expiration. Anybody have thoughts on this?

Thanks
I've not heard of that with any activation, but not sure what you bought. You mention it was a discounted download so maybe something specific with that. For me I purchased a full version of the software.

The only restriction I've heard is you can't apply an activation sooner than 6 months before your subscription end date.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:06 PM   #27

For those who are looking for cheap alternative Microsoft Money Sunset Edition may be worth a look. I used MM many years ago and loved it, moved over to Quicken only because of EOL on the product. Honestly Quicken has evolved over the years and MMSE wouldn't be for me, but seemed better than other alternatives I had looked at.

https://windowsreport.com/microsoft-money-windows-10-2/
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:15 PM   #28

I've been using Quicken for Mac for the last several years and have had none of the problems described above. Schwab worked fine throughout November.

The downside to the Mac version is that although they've renewed developing it after years of letting it wither on the vine, it still lacks features of the Windows version such as the retirement planner and investments analysis tools. But for me, since I don't use those tools, it just works.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:27 PM   #29

The Mac version is much better now than when Intuit owned Quicken. While it's not as full featured as the Windows version it has enough functionality to be useful. And it's been very stable.

Sometimes when I go to quicken.com they offer me 40% off the retail price which brings it down to around $30. While it's more expensive than when we just needed to upgrade once every three years it's really not a lot of money we are talking about. And it's pretty much the only financial management product that allows you to download transactions and store them on your computer rather than in the cloud.

I also use Personal Capital just to double check the numbers but I don't trust it as my only tool because I can't download my data.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:02 PM   #30

Still using Quicken 2017, and it does everything I need and more (I don't sync transactions). I do my own backup to cloud storage.

I don't want to pay annually for a "subscription" to features I don't need, so I've been delaying the upgrade.

My only concern is ... how long till 2017 data files are completely obsolete--not even readable by whatever current version I eventually upgrade to?

I seem to be a Quicken newbie on this thread, so what's your experience with Quicken "obsoleting" data files from old versions?

In other words, what are the odds that I finally upgrade to, say, Quicken 2025, and it can't read or convert my 2017 data files?

That's the scenario I'm most worried about.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:06 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post

I seem to be a Quicken newbie on this thread, so what's your experience with Quicken "obsoleting" data files from old versions?

In other words, what are the odds that I finally upgrade to, say, Quicken 2025, and it can't read or convert my 2017 data files?

Historically data files have always been readable and convertible to any newer file format so I would say the chances of that happening are close to zero.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:08 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post

It does happen. However, Quicken has a very large community and it won’t take a lot to stay on top of changes. There will be an uproar when it happens but it is very likely to happen at some point.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:10 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Historically data files have always been readable and convertible to any newer file format so I would say the chances of that happening are close to zero.
Yes, but if you skip a new file update, the next one will not read a two version old file. Version in this case is the underlying file structure, not the program version.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:15 PM   #34

Ok. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:07 AM   #35
Dryer sheet wannabe

I started using Quicken in 1987 (The old DOS Days) and as most here, upgraded every few years. Had some problems over the years with probably everything, but when the 2017 Premier version quit downloading, I purchased the subscription version. I have had very few problems, but do have the occasional quicken balance not matching the financial institutions balance, and that is an easy fix with an Adjustment or trying to figure out what didn't get downloaded.

I can't imagine switching as it gets me a quick snapshot each day on what is happening with my investments, plus allows me to look at my net worth and transactions from 1987 to present.
kblagron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:34 AM   #36

So is it safe to say that the problems with recent subscription versions are all related to downloading/syncing?

That would make me feel better about upgrading, since I don't sync.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:11 AM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
For those who are looking for cheap alternative Microsoft Money Sunset Edition may be worth a look. I used MM many years ago and loved it, moved over to Quicken only because of EOL on the product. Honestly Quicken has evolved over the years and MMSE wouldn't be for me, but seemed better than other alternatives I had looked at.

https://windowsreport.com/microsoft-money-windows-10-2/
It is certainly very tempting. I do not use online banking or update investments using online tools. The one online thing I do is download monthly statements from a single credit card.

I could stop doing that in detail, or download to a spreadsheet and analyze there. The details of those transactions are less important, but I do use the details to track things like auto maintenance, when/where did I buy that major purchase, etc.

But my largest concern would be getting 2 years into it, hit some problem and can't recover. That happened to me a few decades ago with MoneyCounts.

Probably stick with quicken, but I may create a new data file. In retirement things are a lot different and I might like to reimagine my chart or accounts,etc.
Montecfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:15 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
I may create a new data file. In retirement things are a lot different and I might like to reimagine my chart or accounts,etc.
That’s exactly what we did. We set up a new file with a much simpler chart of accounts and, I started using the budgeting function. It’s easy to open the old file to look for common things like when did we but something or how much did we pay for something.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:51 AM   #39

I love my Quicken. I download from all my various accounts just about daily. It will instantly tell me if there's been any breach to any account. I enjoy having everything right at my fingertips in one spot with just the click of a button. I bought the subscription in May of 2018 for $25 and renewed this year in August for $50. Chump change considering how well it solves my book keeping needs.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 11:42 AM   #40
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
I love my Quicken. I download from all my various accounts just about daily. It will instantly tell me if there's been any breach to any account. I enjoy having everything right at my fingertips in one spot with just the click of a button. I bought the subscription in May of 2018 for $25 and renewed this year in August for $50. Chump change considering how well it solves my book keeping needs.
+1

I've been an avid Quicken user for ~25 years and use it religiously. Is it faultless? Nope. Is it a 100% solution? No, I have a few spreadsheets to cover the gaps (mostly based on data exported from Quicken, though). But it's my daily diary for all things financial for our family and helps me track current activities, instantly find historical transactions, and forecast future needs. [full disclosure: I could easily be labeled as enjoying personal finance as a hobby...]
EnricoPallazzo is offline   Reply With Quote