Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-05-2020, 04:25 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoPallazzo View Post
+1

I've been an avid Quicken user for ~25 years and use it religiously. Is it faultless? Nope. Is it a 100% solution? No, I have a few spreadsheets to cover the gaps (mostly based on data exported from Quicken, though). But it's my daily diary for all things financial for our family and helps me track current activities, instantly find historical transactions, and forecast future needs. [full disclosure: I could easily be labeled as enjoying personal finance as a hobby...]
100% there with you. Years of data available. Will I ever need to go back and use it, who knows. But it's there. Dump of data to my personal spreadsheets for further analysis, sure thing as Quicken can twist and turn the data like I want to, Excel does it easily. Made my career out of data analysis tools so I guess it's just in my blood. Worth the cost of admission but I admit I still look for deals on renewal of the subscription and take advantage when I can.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2020, 05:18 PM   #42

So I did a validate and repair of the file and my missing transactions came back and the report listed tons of errors from 2005/2006, there was about 40 lines of errors that it said it could not repair so definitely bad corruption. Haven't done it yet but I'll save a backup of this current file and then try year end copy. I think I can enter a start date of maybe 5 years ago and see if dumping all the data from 2000 to 2014 will resolve my problems moving forward. I will still be able to look at the save backup for previous years if need be.
RetiredAndLovingIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 01:01 PM   #43

I have not found an offline financial program with which I'm happy...tried Quicken for Mac, Quicken for Windows (via Parallels), Moneydance, etc.

So for right now I just use Mint.com.
ncbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 04:41 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

We've used Quicken since 1992. We last upgraded in 2017 so if we wanted to continue to download transactions, we had to go to the subscription service this year. We only use Quicken on our desktop and have had no problems that I can think of. We are bookkeepers so use it for quite a few complicated clients and have had no problems with them either.
samcat is offline   Reply With Quote
No problems here...
Old 12-11-2020, 06:16 PM   #45
Dryer sheet wannabe

No problems here...

Can you believe I'm still running Quicken 1999 on a 2006 laptop?!
Yep, that's the only thing that laptop gets used for each week...an hour or so to deal with personal finances.
I just have not found anything good enough to replace what I have. We tried the new subscription version this year but it would not download credit union data. We asked for a refund but never got a response.
Yep, I'll be firing up that 2006 laptop tomorrow and using Quicken 1999 :-)
barak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 09:39 PM   #46
Dryer sheet aficionado

I let my subscription lapse for a few months, then found a $45 renewal rate from Quicken which I opted for so I could return to being lazy (using downloads).

Don't really like paying annual renewals, but haven't seen anything else that matches Quicken. (My records go back to 1992. I used Quicken 2001 for 15 years.)

I only reconcile every few months. BIGGEST annoyance is that the last few times, the MATCH feature was not working.... it can't seem to see items that were already reconciled. I have to manual match each one (tedious!) Someone mentioned that it has something to do with the Quicken ID? Anyone know the fix?
BeanCounter62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 04:30 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanCounter62 View Post
....I only reconcile every few months. ...
From a fellow beancounter... if you only reconcile every few months perhaps you should change your screen name to LazyBeanCounter.

One of the feature that I find handy is Projected Balances. I have all my majot items of inflow and outgo to and from my main checking account set up as Income and Transfers... then I use Projected Balances for that checking account... it's my home page... to monitor my cash flow.

I have most of my accounts linked to the financial institution and run one-step update every few days. It bugs DW when I ask "Did you spend $xxx at [vendor] the other day?". I think she thinks that I'm questioning the spend but I'm just verifying that it is a legitimate charge so it serves two purposes.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 06:35 AM   #48

I find Quicken to be great to pull all my financial data together. The biggest benefit is understanding what my income is, that's very important so I manage my MAGI for ACA purposes. Going over the MAGI limits could literally cost me thousands if I'm over by just a buck. The subscription fee pays for itself in that regard
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:16 AM   #49

Been using Quicken for decades. Before that, the green 12 column bookkeeping pads with pencil. Just like Turbotax, Quicken is so valuable to me that I would gladly pay multiples of what I'm paying now. But, like most I still like to find a "deal" to make me feel better about myself.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 02:49 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

I started with quicken for the mac, 1995. did a free upgrade to 97, paid for an update to 2001 ish, and then got free updates till they split from intuit on 2007 version. stayed there till this year I did the update.I opted out of the cloud access, local only since i just keep it as archive.
My experience has been positive, in spite of 13 years of feature shock. I found and corrected many errors that had accumulated over the years. I love the separated and hidden account sections, helps with doing ex finances. Importing transactions much more transparent. I even joined as a beta tester!
indiajust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 03:41 PM   #51

I am also a long time user of Quicken, 25 years. I work offline and manually enter transactions, the volume is not an issue for me. I have pretty much stuck with the basic transactions/accounts/investing information. I have some customized reports, but for anything extensive I export the data to Excel.

The versions probably after 2011 did not seem to add anything useful for me, but I did upgrade to Quicken 2017. I am staying on it for as long as they let me. I dealt with the quotes download by using the available stock price REST APIs and a little web age scraping to write a program that automatically runs every evening to download and format the quotes I need, to import them via CSV.

I export my data every month into QIF format. I plan to test importing it into MoneyDance (trial version) as a way of planning ahead should they "lock" Quicken 2017 at some point.
Old 01-03-2021, 02:38 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

The Quicken 40%-off deal is back per this post at Slickdeals. Your current subscription can only be extended within 6 months of your end date, but you can buy the retail copy now from Amazon and apply the code later.
Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:00 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done View Post
The Quicken 40%-off deal is back per this post at Slickdeals. Your current subscription can only be extended within 6 months of your end date, but you can buy the retail copy now from Amazon and apply the code later.

Thanks. Just ordered, and paid $32.27 total for Quicken Deluxe. Last year, it cost me $48.85, as I just looked it up on my Quicken screen, of course.

I am not 100% happy with Quicken's pricing and some flaws, but attempts to try something else have not been successful. For $32, I will delay the hassle for another year.

By the way, this is only my 2nd year on a subscription. I thought that the new activation code will extend the old subscription by 1 year. In other words, the new code will not expire 1 year from when I enter it, if I enter it before the old code runs out. Is that correct? Thanks.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:13 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
By the way, this is only my 2nd year on a subscription. I thought that the new activation code will extend the old subscription by 1 year. In other words, the new code will not expire 1 year from when I enter it, if I enter it before the old code runs out. Is that correct? Thanks.
This question was asked on Amazon and Quicken responded with this answer:

Excellent question! You can use this to extend your current subscription. The new subscription time will be added onto the time you have remaining on your current Quicken subscription. To enter the activation code, in Quicken click Help> Enter activation code. If you would like further details or assistance with the process, you can reach out to us at quicken.com/contact-support. I hope this helps! -CL see less
By Quicken Inc SELLER on November 25, 2020
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:22 PM   #55

I just ordered it from Amazon as well. My subscription expires in April. For $32 it's not worth changing to something else. What I can't figure out is why they are insisting on sending me a physical CD. Who even has a CD on their laptop anymore? Why wouldn't they just allow the software to be downloaded and email the license like every other software company?
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
I'm so over Quicken subscription!!##??/..
Old 01-03-2021, 03:36 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Why wouldn't they just allow the software to be downloaded and email the license like every other software company?
Amazon used to offer an option to download but I don’t see it now. You can still download the software, then enter the activation code found in the physical box.

Quicken.com is also offering 40% off for new or if you want your subscription extended instantly — but this only works if you’re within 6 months of your subscription end date. If you need to wait to apply the code, buy from Amazon.
Old 01-03-2021, 03:40 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps the mailed CD is so that you feel you are getting something physical.

Software production (not development!) cost is $0, so the consumer may need something he can hold to feel that it's worth paying for.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:43 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I thought that the new activation code will extend the old subscription by 1 year. In other words, the new code will not expire 1 year from when I enter it, if I enter it before the old code runs out. Is that correct?
Yes, if you enter the code up to 6 months before your subscription end, it will extend membership by one year. If you have more than 6 months left, hold on to the code and apply it later.
Old 01-03-2021, 03:55 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done View Post
Thanks! - ordered from Amazon. The subscription expires in April, with this I am good until 2022
Go-NoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:17 PM   #60

For the life of me, I can’t seem to find that discounted price on Amazon for Deluxe