I'm so over Quicken subscription!!##??/..

I am also a long time user of Quicken, 25 years. I work offline and manually enter transactions, the volume is not an issue for me. I have pretty much stuck with the basic transactions/accounts/investing information. I have some customized reports, but for anything extensive I export the data to Excel.

The versions probably after 2011 did not seem to add anything useful for me, but I did upgrade to Quicken 2017. I am staying on it for as long as they let me. I dealt with the quotes download by using the available stock price REST APIs and a little web age scraping to write a program that automatically runs every evening to download and format the quotes I need, to import them via CSV.

I export my data every month into QIF format. I plan to test importing it into MoneyDance (trial version) as a way of planning ahead should they "lock" Quicken 2017 at some point.

The Quicken 40%-off deal is back per this post at Slickdeals. Your current subscription can only be extended within 6 months of your end date, but you can buy the retail copy now from Amazon and apply the code later.

Last edited:
The Quicken 40%-off deal is back per this post at Slickdeals. Your current subscription can only be extended within 6 months of your end date, but you can buy the retail copy now from Amazon and apply the code later.

Thanks. Just ordered, and paid $32.27 total for Quicken Deluxe. Last year, it cost me $48.85, as I just looked it up on my Quicken screen, of course.

I am not 100% happy with Quicken's pricing and some flaws, but attempts to try something else have not been successful. For $32, I will delay the hassle for another year.

By the way, this is only my 2nd year on a subscription. I thought that the new activation code will extend the old subscription by 1 year. In other words, the new code will not expire 1 year from when I enter it, if I enter it before the old code runs out. Is that correct? Thanks.

Last edited:
By the way, this is only my 2nd year on a subscription. I thought that the new activation code will extend the old subscription by 1 year. In other words, the new code will not expire 1 year from when I enter it, if I enter it before the old code runs out. Is that correct? Thanks.

This question was asked on Amazon and Quicken responded with this answer:

Excellent question! You can use this to extend your current subscription. The new subscription time will be added onto the time you have remaining on your current Quicken subscription. To enter the activation code, in Quicken click Help> Enter activation code. If you would like further details or assistance with the process, you can reach out to us at quicken.com/contact-support. I hope this helps! -CL see less
By Quicken Inc SELLER on November 25, 2020

I just ordered it from Amazon as well. My subscription expires in April. For $32 it's not worth changing to something else. What I can't figure out is why they are insisting on sending me a physical CD. Who even has a CD on their laptop anymore? Why wouldn't they just allow the software to be downloaded and email the license like every other software company?

Why wouldn't they just allow the software to be downloaded and email the license like every other software company?

Amazon used to offer an option to download but I don’t see it now. You can still download the software, then enter the activation code found in the physical box.

Quicken.com is also offering 40% off for new or if you want your subscription extended instantly — but this only works if you’re within 6 months of your subscription end date. If you need to wait to apply the code, buy from Amazon.

Last edited:
Perhaps the mailed CD is so that you feel you are getting something physical. :)

Software production (not development!) cost is $0, so the consumer may need something he can hold to feel that it's worth paying for. :)

I thought that the new activation code will extend the old subscription by 1 year. In other words, the new code will not expire 1 year from when I enter it, if I enter it before the old code runs out. Is that correct?

Yes, if you enter the code up to 6 months before your subscription end, it will extend membership by one year. If you have more than 6 months left, hold on to the code and apply it later.

Thanks! - ordered from Amazon. The subscription expires in April, with this I am good until 2022

For the life of me, I can’t seem to find that discounted price on Amazon for Deluxe

For the life of me, I can’t seem to find that discounted price on Amazon for Deluxe

Find the message above that has the link that says “Slick Deals”. Click on that link. Then click on the button that says “See Deal”. This will take you to Amazon. The price does not show the discount immediately, but the is a small box to check under the price that says something about “use this coupon”. Click that. Then proceed to checkout. The 40% discount gets applied there.

You have to clip the Amazon coupon beneath the price. There are tips in the Slickdeals post if you’re not seeing it. The same deal is also at Office Depot and Staples now.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I wasn’t going thru the slickdeals site. Now it worked. Just bought it.

Thanks again!

A thread about the OP being unhappy with Quicken now has more posters continue to use it. :facepalm: :LOL:

A thread about the OP being unhappy with Quicken now has more posters continue to use it. :facepalm: [emoji23]
Not the first time a thread has seen more comments contrary to the OP. Everyone entitled to their opinion, some good info in this thread, pro and con Quicken. HNY!

The majority of Quicken users are like myself: we do not love Quicken, but it's the only thing we've got, and we continue to use it while swearing and cursing at it at times.

I did try Moneydance a while back, and the Quicken import did not work well. If and when I got fed up with Quicken, might do a fresh restart with Moneydance. I would run the two in parallel for a month or two before dropping Quicken.

But I will save that for another time. I don't feel like sitting for hours hunching over the keyboard now.

It’s really not a big deal to spend $32 once a year to keep Quicken current. It’s just that we were used to having a version that went for three years before requiring an upgrade. So when they switched to the annual model people were naturally going to complain because something was being taken away from them. If it had always been an annual subscription I don’t think we would have given it much thought.

It’s just that we were used to having a version that went for three years before requiring an upgrade. So when they switched to the annual model people were naturally going to complain because something was being taken away from them. If it had always been an annual subscription I don’t think we would have given it much thought.

The complaints about Quicken started long before they switched to the annual subscription model and had more to do with functionality and bugs than price. The annual subscription was the tipping point for many.

A thread about the OP being unhappy with Quicken now has more posters continue to use it. :facepalm: :LOL:
Many threads become a lightning rod for users (or non-users) of apps or hardware. Quicken topics do arise. Its really hard for a user to accept the reality, that you must pay at least once, and find out that the newer version does a hundred things you don't need. There must be a better way (he/she reflects).

I have a tech friend who usually pushes Quicken and the reporting to me. But I've always been content with Excel, and a makeshift approach that is not up to date transaction-wise. It requires more work, or maybe it doesn't? But I've learned that my approaches are not standard, and a lot of members need Quicken, or something like it. If you've been doing something for 30 years, hard to change.

For us, the ultimate simplified approach is to push all payments through the checking account. I download the transactions to a master register in Excel every month or so. A little tweaking for summary, and we're done. YMMV.

Quicken definitely attracts its share of complaints.

I had one serious issue with Quicken, in 1997, when I lost my data. Since then, knock on wood, generally smooth sailing (yes, I've had a couple issues and dealt with a couple functional areas that don't 100% meet my needs out-of-the-box, but nothing I haven't been able to work through). My current data file has ~130 accounts (vast majority of those are inactive - kept for historical records and there doesn't seem to be any reason not to). I also use Excel extensively, pulling data out of Quicken to do specific analysis I am interested in that Quicken can't perform.

My impression is that since the introduction of the annual subscription model (and perhaps also correlated with the sale of Quicken from Intuit), there have been improvements with product updates and engagement/communication from Quicken management.

It's usefulness to me to help manage our family financial operations far exceeds both the relatively minimal annual cost and occasional functional issue.

Last edited:
For us, the ultimate simplified approach is to push all payments through the checking account. I download the transactions to a master register in Excel every month or so. A little tweaking for summary, and we're done. YMMV.

My wife manages all the bill payments through our bank account Web site. She handles all money outgoing this way. She has her own spreadsheet to keep track of spending.

Prior to Quicken, I used MS Money to track our investments. Being an active investor, and having almost 2 dozen accounts at various institutions (his/her IRA/Roth/401k/Treasury etc...), I need to be able to see all my market exposure and allocation on one screen. There are now tools on the Web to do this, but I want to keep my info off the cloud.

I did not even use MS Money to track expenses, only investments. It is only with Quicken that I tried downloading credit card transactions, and I loved it. I now can look up info on past expenses a lot quicker than my wife can load up and search her spreadsheets. B of A even reported to Quicken the future payments my wife has scheduled in advance to pay the county RE tax, or other recurrent charges.

Quicken has a bunch of features I have not bothered to explore and never will, such as budgeting, planning, paying bills, etc... For me, the credit card and investment transaction download alone is well worth the $32/year. As long as it does not crash out on me too often, I will be reluctant to invest the time to try something else.

My Quicken 2007 finally aged out of the MacOS with the latest update. Not going to pay the annual fees.

Back
Top Bottom