Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-03-2021, 05:23 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
For the life of me, I can’t seem to find that discounted price on Amazon for Deluxe
Did you follow the steps outlined in the original post on SD?
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2021, 05:24 PM   #62

Quote:
For the life of me, I can’t seem to find that discounted price on Amazon for Deluxe
Find the message above that has the link that says “Slick Deals”. Click on that link. Then click on the button that says “See Deal”. This will take you to Amazon. The price does not show the discount immediately, but the is a small box to check under the price that says something about “use this coupon”. Click that. Then proceed to checkout. The 40% discount gets applied there.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
I'm so over Quicken subscription!!##??/..
Old 01-03-2021, 05:27 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm so over Quicken subscription!!##??/..

Quote:
You have to clip the Amazon coupon beneath the price. There are tips in the Slickdeals post if you’re not seeing it. The same deal is also at Office Depot and Staples now.
Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:28 PM   #64

Same price at Office Depot.

https://www.officedepot.com/a/browse...ewAllSkus=true
Old 01-03-2021, 05:30 PM   #65

Thanks everyone. I wasn’t going thru the slickdeals site. Now it worked. Just bought it.

Thanks again!
Old 01-03-2021, 06:16 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A thread about the OP being unhappy with Quicken now has more posters continue to use it.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:54 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
A thread about the OP being unhappy with Quicken now has more posters continue to use it.
Not the first time a thread has seen more comments contrary to the OP. Everyone entitled to their opinion, some good info in this thread, pro and con Quicken. HNY!
Old 01-03-2021, 08:22 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

The majority of Quicken users are like myself: we do not love Quicken, but it's the only thing we've got, and we continue to use it while swearing and cursing at it at times.

I did try Moneydance a while back, and the Quicken import did not work well. If and when I got fed up with Quicken, might do a fresh restart with Moneydance. I would run the two in parallel for a month or two before dropping Quicken.

But I will save that for another time. I don't feel like sitting for hours hunching over the keyboard now.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-03-2021, 08:32 PM   #69

It’s really not a big deal to spend $32 once a year to keep Quicken current. It’s just that we were used to having a version that went for three years before requiring an upgrade. So when they switched to the annual model people were naturally going to complain because something was being taken away from them. If it had always been an annual subscription I don’t think we would have given it much thought.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 06:36 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
It’s just that we were used to having a version that went for three years before requiring an upgrade. So when they switched to the annual model people were naturally going to complain because something was being taken away from them. If it had always been an annual subscription I don’t think we would have given it much thought.
The complaints about Quicken started long before they switched to the annual subscription model and had more to do with functionality and bugs than price. The annual subscription was the tipping point for many.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 06:58 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Many threads become a lightning rod for users (or non-users) of apps or hardware. Quicken topics do arise. Its really hard for a user to accept the reality, that you must pay at least once, and find out that the newer version does a hundred things you don't need. There must be a better way (he/she reflects).

I have a tech friend who usually pushes Quicken and the reporting to me. But I've always been content with Excel, and a makeshift approach that is not up to date transaction-wise. It requires more work, or maybe it doesn't? But I've learned that my approaches are not standard, and a lot of members need Quicken, or something like it. If you've been doing something for 30 years, hard to change.

For us, the ultimate simplified approach is to push all payments through the checking account. I download the transactions to a master register in Excel every month or so. A little tweaking for summary, and we're done. YMMV.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:10 AM   #72
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quicken definitely attracts its share of complaints.

I had one serious issue with Quicken, in 1997, when I lost my data. Since then, knock on wood, generally smooth sailing (yes, I've had a couple issues and dealt with a couple functional areas that don't 100% meet my needs out-of-the-box, but nothing I haven't been able to work through). My current data file has ~130 accounts (vast majority of those are inactive - kept for historical records and there doesn't seem to be any reason not to). I also use Excel extensively, pulling data out of Quicken to do specific analysis I am interested in that Quicken can't perform.

My impression is that since the introduction of the annual subscription model (and perhaps also correlated with the sale of Quicken from Intuit), there have been improvements with product updates and engagement/communication from Quicken management.

It's usefulness to me to help manage our family financial operations far exceeds both the relatively minimal annual cost and occasional functional issue.
EnricoPallazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:04 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
For us, the ultimate simplified approach is to push all payments through the checking account. I download the transactions to a master register in Excel every month or so. A little tweaking for summary, and we're done. YMMV.

My wife manages all the bill payments through our bank account Web site. She handles all money outgoing this way. She has her own spreadsheet to keep track of spending.

Prior to Quicken, I used MS Money to track our investments. Being an active investor, and having almost 2 dozen accounts at various institutions (his/her IRA/Roth/401k/Treasury etc...), I need to be able to see all my market exposure and allocation on one screen. There are now tools on the Web to do this, but I want to keep my info off the cloud.

I did not even use MS Money to track expenses, only investments. It is only with Quicken that I tried downloading credit card transactions, and I loved it. I now can look up info on past expenses a lot quicker than my wife can load up and search her spreadsheets. B of A even reported to Quicken the future payments my wife has scheduled in advance to pay the county RE tax, or other recurrent charges.

Quicken has a bunch of features I have not bothered to explore and never will, such as budgeting, planning, paying bills, etc... For me, the credit card and investment transaction download alone is well worth the $32/year. As long as it does not crash out on me too often, I will be reluctant to invest the time to try something else.

Old 01-04-2021, 08:18 AM   #74

My Quicken 2007 finally aged out of the MacOS with the latest update. Not going to pay the annual fees.
euro is offline   Reply With Quote