I'm starting to warm up to Index Funds

FinanceDude said:
BTW, I personally know 3 fee-only CFP's that have given up their practices because they are having a hard time finding clients. All of these folks have 10-15 years as a CFP under their belts. So the environment is not friendly to them either.

I wish one of em was around here. I am interested in finding one......how do they market themselves?

jazz4cash said:
I wish one of em was around here. I am interested in finding one......how do they market themselves?

word of mouth and networking mostly.

Try nafpa.com or fpa.com, they have search engines for CFPs. Sadly to say, I am not one yet, but am working on it. Had a transcript review from the CFP College in Denver, they said I could skip two parts of the course review because of all the extra coursework I took in college......... :)

FinanceDude said:
BTW, I personally know 3 fee-only CFP's that have given up their practices because they are having a hard time finding clients. All of these folks have 10-15 years as a CFP under their belts. So the environment is not friendly to them either.

MY BIL is a fee only CFP and does planning on a PT basis.

Many of the potential clients are not real high net worth, require a lot of hand holding, and don't like paying for the service.

We used to have a CFP in our office to work with our succession planning department. It worked pretty good for us, but she decided that the bigger money was in law so she abandoned us for law school.

astromeria said:
Say, isn't Bill Gates planning to retire in 3 years? :eek: ::) :LOL: :confused:

It's closer to 2 years now . . . just prior to my 38th birthday if you're keeping track.

FinanceDude said:
word of mouth and networking mostly.

Try nafpa.com or fpa.com, they have search engines for CFPs.

Ok, the first link did not work and the second was SCARY AS *ELL!!!!.........lots of crap about brokering loans from home with a gazillion popups.....if THIS is how they are marketing themselves, no wonder they are thinking of doing something else......seeya gotta go run anti-spy utility.

Back
Top Bottom