Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

I'm up 7.9% since the U.S. Presidential Election--who woulda thunk
Old 04-05-2017, 11:08 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm up 7.9% since the U.S. Presidential Election--who woulda thunk

Took a snapshot on November 9th and just looked a my personal performance through April 4th 2017. Up 7.9%. Not making a political statement but I'm sure glad I stayed the course vs. a panic attack. I was expecting a downturn of sorts. Asset Allocation is 70/30. Cheers.
supernova72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2017, 11:45 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm with you supernova72. Putting aside specific politics, I thought we were headed for a major downward correction in November. But I stayed the course and was "rewarded". Good lesson reinforced!
JohnnyBGoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:49 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So with all the press about the pending doom of the US economy that was certain to follow the election you didn't cash out and stock up on gold and ammo. Me too.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:50 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Anyone got a Ten Foot Pole ?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:53 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
So with all the press about the pending doom of the US economy that was certain to follow the election you didn't cash out and stock up on gold and ammo. Me too.
Ha. No guns buried in the back yard here! I did make a slight strategic change during this timeframe of moving out of bonds to my 401K offered Stable Value fund----but that was more to do with thinking rates would rise and my SV fund returns 2.1%. So I kind of lucked out there.

If I had a nickel for every doomsday story I read about financial collapse I would have ER'd 20 years ago!
supernova72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:54 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

you know me - I love poles
Old 04-05-2017, 11:57 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Anyone got a Ten Foot Pole ?
I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole, but look! I found these on sale:

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:00 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I know, I know, market timing is dirty, but at this point isn't the P/E ratio getting scary? I'm happy for the returns, but over the last 18 months the market has really been on a tear.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:04 PM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
I know, I know, market timing is dirty, but at this point isn't the P/E ratio getting scary?
I'm not scared. Your mileage may vary.

Quote:
I'm happy for the returns, but over the last 18 months the market has really been on a tear.
I can't remember how long I've been hearing "the P/E ratio is too high", "we are overdue for a crash", "time to cash out". It's certainly been at least 5 years.

Stay the course, or change your asset allocation until you are comfortable for the long haul. Ignore the noise.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:06 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole, but look! I found these on sale:

That's a good one. Last time I saw a pole that tall someone was swinging from it...Ha. Reno NV 2013.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:12 PM   #11

Quote:
I know, I know, market timing is dirty, but at this point isn't the P/E ratio getting scary? I'm happy for the returns, but over the last 18 months the market has really been on a tear.
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent" is a great saying.

Then there's data, like 6 consecutive years with P/E ratios of the market of 24 or higher (late 90's to tech bubble, we're around 26-27 currently) which says trying to time it based on P/E doesn't look like a good idea. Or the fact that just because average historic P/E ratios are lower than current ratios doesn't mean that 50 years from now the average historic P/E ratios won't be higher than today's P/E ratio.

CAPE is an even more flawed way to try and determine if the market is overvalued imo.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:17 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by exnavynuke View Post

CAPE is an even more flawed way to try and determine if the market is overvalued imo.
Shiller PE10 is a pretty effective way to estimate future returns. It sheds no light on volatility, which matters, or timing, which also matters.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:18 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I know, I know, market timing is dirty, but at this point isn't the P/E ratio getting scary? ....
It would be interesting do do a search on this, but it seems to me some established members of this forum have been calling out the high P/E ratio for 4-5 years now? I'm sure they will be right someday, but what do they miss in the interim?

I'm always reminded that I knew the market was getting way over-valued in the 90's big bull run, and I was right. However, I was fully convinced of that by 1997, and the market still had a big rise left in it, and it didn't drop near that point until March 2009 (look at total return, not just NAV). How would I pick a place to get back in? I'd have to be prescient/lucky to pick March 2009 exactly. Maybe I'd still be out? Maybe I'd get back in at a higher point (sell low - buy high)?

I would have missed:

1997 - 33.36%
1998 - 28.58%
1999 - 21.04%

Nope, I'm staying the course as well.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:22 PM   #14

I will admit to planning on buying another rung to the bond ladder using the recent gains in the equities portion of the portfolio, but I'll lie to myself calling it rebalancing instead of market timing.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:18 PM   #15

I may skim gains past this years 4.4% into an intermediate treasury bond fund (I am underallocated to this area), as insurance against a slump, which would move my allocation towards the minimum stock percentage. If the market drops 10%, I usually invest cash or some bond funds back into stocks. I have a 6% range for stocks before triggering a rebalance but when the market is on a prolonged tear, I often do some rebalancing before the trigger is hit. Sometimes the market can go up faster than I can rebalance since I don't like to do it more than once or twice a year. (I haven't done anything the last two years).
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:42 PM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
I will admit to planning on buying another rung to the bond ladder using the recent gains in the equities portion of the portfolio, but I'll lie to myself calling it rebalancing instead of market timing.
Whatever it takes to be able to sleep at night...
Old 04-05-2017, 03:29 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Net worth is up yuge since November.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:54 PM   #18
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Net worth is up yuge since November.
Bigly!
Old 04-05-2017, 04:03 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I consider this a collective "Wh***" thread. Tomorrow, I will start selling covered calls more actively.

Selling covered calls is for cowardly bears, which I am one.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Shiller PE10 is a pretty effective way to estimate future returns. It sheds no light on volatility, which matters, or timing, which also matters.
I think it's less effective when "outlier" years are present (such as right now where the outlier "great recession" is still part of it). Given the equivalent market conditions 2 years from now, the PE10 would look a lot more attractive right?
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote