Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-02-2007, 08:06 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cars are my problem. Ive bought four old Porsche's in the last few years and have found myself saying "if you want to get rid or it, let me know" to a fellow with a MGA the other day, I would have bought it on the spot if he would have given me a price. I hope he dosn't call.
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2007, 08:08 AM   #22

I am with W2R - art, generally in a higher range - about $300, and didn't leave, but got them on the spot. I still have these pieces and am glad I bought them. Most other things that I can remember other than small stuff, has been discussed/considered prior to purchase, but it may be the timing that differs.

Of course, this is probably selective memory and I am sure I made some huge wasted/impulsive purchases in the past that I can't/don't want to remember now.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:22 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post
Speaking of briefcases... I found a beautiful natural eel skin
briefcase at an estate sale for $3. The catch was... it had a
combination lock... and no one knew the combination... but
I bought it anyway... I put it away for a few weeks, then one
night I was determined to open it... so I began at 000 and one
digit at a time I moved the lock up to the 600s before one side
opened... then I had the same fun with the other side... but I
finally opened it... unfortunately, there were no valuables inside...
but it was brand new and beautiful inside... and all for the cost of
three bucks... along with some time, patience and sore fingers.
My grandfather was a great scavenger. He found a brand new Sesame brand combination lock at the landfill when we were kids. He didn't know the combination but tried everything he could think of while sitting on his porch watching the cars go by. He was retired. Finally, he threw it in the trash and said to my brother "If you can open it, you can have it." My brother picked it up and decided to triy every single number starting from 0000. Pop, it opened on 0000, the first try. Boy, was grampa pissed.

Mike D.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:23 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My worst impulse buys have been stocks that I either heard good news on and tried to jump on, or tried bottom feeding when they took a dive, without properly researching them. But the results probably haven't been that much worse than my educated stock picking, and it's easy enough to see if I get buyer's remorse.

I can't think of anything else over $100 I've bought on impulse.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:23 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

In 1997, just after we closed on our new house (about twice the price of the old one), we walked through it with the glow of pride, and then went for coffee. Across the street from the coffee place was a Persian carpet place -- so we bought a $3300 rug. Had to keep it rolled up for several weeks since we were having hardwood floors put in the new house (to replace the horrible orange shag carpet which had turned off several previous buyers). The rug looked wonderful on the new floors -- practically an advertisement.

We did also get the coffee, while we mulled over the purchase for 10 minutes.
Robert the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:13 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

If you're an impulse buyer, dont ever look at the fatwallet web site.

Clearly its a communicable disease that uses TCP/IP as a transmission mechanism, and the carrier need not be infected. I got Martha to buy pyrex that I didnt buy...

Lets see if infectious transmission is possible...

Anyone ever wanted some of those nice Le Creuset enameled cast iron pans but didnt feel like paying $140 per pot?

Go to amazon and search for "lodge cast iron enamel" and load up. These are actually slightly heavier gauge than the Le Creusets, have a similar enameling process, and sell for a good discount. Target also carries them, and I hear you can find them here and there at Marshalls/TJ Maxx. Lodge is one of the oldest makers of cast iron cookware. If you have a product problem within the warranty period, they send you a new one and a UPS label to send the old one back.

Muhahahahaaahaaaa
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:20 AM   #27

For me maybe $1200-1500 for a suit. That would be highly unusual though. Most of my impulse buys are books, CDs, or sheet music. In fact, most of my purchases are books, CDs, or sheet music. Any other shopping I usually look at as a chore and have to force myself to do it.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:27 AM   #28

About 15 years ago I was working my territory(as a rep at that time) and was in the Long beach area. I had about 45 minutes until my next appointment and stopped to look at some sailboats that were for sale. I ended up buying a 27 footer......
I put it in a slip in Marina Del Rey and it became my condo on the water and my booze cruiser(I lived in land - at Rancho Cucamonga at the time). I had a blast on that boat and sold it for close to what I had paid for it.
Wish I had kept it - it would be perfect for Lake Tahoe.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:27 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
If you're an impulse buyer, dont ever look at the fatwallet web site.
OK, obviously I have a defective shopping gene. That site is boring to me.

Quote:
Anyone ever wanted some of those nice Le Creuset enameled cast iron pans
No. I have no desire for new pans, and they sound heavy. I don't have much time to cook anyway, while I'm working. I'd rather put the money in my ER fund.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:29 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Alright, thats one thats clearly been vaccinated...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:35 AM   #31
Gone but not forgotten

Never ever go on ebay when you are sipping wine .I've ended up with several Little souls dolls .They go for $150 and up . I do like them a lot .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:48 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Lets see if infectious transmission is possible...

Na!Na!Na!Na!Na!Na!

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:33 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Twelve years ago....one kitten (at animal shelter).

Sixteen years ago...two kittens (at animal shelter).
Old 12-02-2007, 11:57 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Actually, the best pans in the world are good old cast iron pans. You want old because the insides should be nice and smooth. If well seasoned, they are far more non-stick than Teflon and they last forever. We have a large collection of iron pans, the biggest of which somehow managed to fall off a steam boat somewhere sometime. I do like my Griswold pans.

And yes, you can use soap to clean seasoned pans. Just be sure to dry them as soon as you are done washing the pan.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 03:20 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Na!Na!Na!Na!Na!Na!
Oh look! Shoes on sale!!!

More price-match shoe deals (Womens/Ladies)... PM from Amazon to various merchants

Old 12-02-2007, 03:56 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Bah, humbug!!! I already HAVE shoes. Haven't ever had to go barefoot for lack of shoes. They'd just fill up my closet, anyway, and make it hard to find the ones I have. Guess that's even more money for my ER fund. $$$ It's sure going up today!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 04:15 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

W2R...are you my long lost sister?
Old 12-02-2007, 05:26 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Went to a fundraiser assuming my contribution was the price of my dinner. They had an auction. There was a beautiful original watercolor of an Arabian stallion. My hand kept raising during bidding. My 9 hour drive home included said picture for $550. That was almost 20 years ago. I just recently gave it to my daughter since we are downsizing and I have nowhere to hang it. It was a beautiful piece and the first original artwork I owned. Funny thing is, years later I bought a horse and this stallion was its great-grandsire.
stargazer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 05:29 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post
... it had a
combination lock... and no one knew the combination... but
I bought it anyway... I put it away for a few weeks, then one
night I was determined to open it... so I began at 000 and one
digit at a time I moved the lock up to the 600s before one side
opened... then I had the same fun with the other side...
Worked on a found bike lock. Started at 000. The combination turned out to be in the high 900s! Oh well.

"It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to-day basis” Margaret Bonnano
gandalf42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 05:33 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Bah, humbug!!!
Oh look! $1 hour long massages from a guy named Frank!

$1 hour long massages from a guy named Frank